Final Fantasy IV gameplay help on hard mode.... SPOILERS

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ackmondual, Jul 30, 2015.

1. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Anybody get through the part where Rydia rejoins the team, no sooner than you fight Golbez again when you first make your way to the underworld part of the game? I'm kicking myself for trying this on hard mode, and I've NEVER had any issues getting through the SNES version, so this is like "a hard mode of the hard mode". I've tried timing it so that Kain's in the midst of his Jump when Golbez brings out the big guns, but it never lines up.

This is certainly one of those cases where it was a freemium/free to play situation where at least I could throw some $$ at the problem and move on. I've quit the game due to this! Or put on hiatus.

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    How are your Augments set up? Get Kain up in the air ASAP, buff your party with Shell and debuff Golbez with Slow (if you've given Rosa dualcast she can do this one turn one, if not, I highly recommend spending Cecil's first turn making sure both spells are up right away). Then just beat on him til Rydia joins. Once she's in, use Cecil's Libra to check Golbez's elemental weakness and fire off the corresponding Summon with Rydia. Whenever he barrier changes, use Libra again. Rydia can pretty much take him out on her own, so Cecil can focus on healing and using Libra. If you're having trouble keeping pace with healing, try to get Rosa up on her feet to help. I'd also recommend using anything you've got that can get Haste on your healers, whether that be Cecil or Rosa.

Anyway, best of luck. It's a tough fight but you should be able to manage it!

3. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    It's been years since i played, but loading that save point up....
    Both Cecil and Rosa have Shell.
    Is Dual Cast granted through a key item, equipment, or just some level up thing? Either way, I doubt I have it. Seems like the kind of thing I would've noticed

Problem with Kain is if I have him jump ASAP, Golbez just does his mass paralyze thing when he touches back down. I've tried for the life of me to get it so he's away when it happens, but no luck. IIRC, this was NOT difficult at all in the SNES version!

Rydia seems to be great, but not "kill him before you get wiped out great". However, I'll give it another go, especially utilizing Libra.

IIRC, i also used Haste, but not without cost, as that does mean I'd have to make sacrifices in other areas.

Thanks!