Changing price while featured?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, May 6, 2010.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

what is general consensus on ending special sale for $0.99 and reverting back to $1.99 while being featured?

Will that potentially kick me out of top $50 racing games and top #100 puzzle games if I do this?

Have you ever tried doing this? How it affected your sales?

Thanks for any advice.

2. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    no experience here but my gut would assume it's a bad idea, esp. if it is your first time on there. but I'll let those who have experience with this sort of thing speak up...

(at least, wait for a few days and see if it has some staying power/what kind of sales you are getting, then maybe hike it up a buck or whatever)

3. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thanks mate, I guess you're right. Asked same question, basically it's a risky thing to do, so I better don't push my luck. :)

4. StevePerks

StevePerks Active Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Out of interest could you keep us informed on how many daily downloads you are averaging whilst featured. I remember that you posted about a week ago and had 'only' sold about 60 copies in your first week. How have you done in this last week? And how is your game selling now its getting some publicity/ranking?

Or just tell me to stop being nosey :D

5. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Well we were featured in new and noteworthy last week... We went in at $1.99. Then lowered it to $0.99 for the weekend... Our revenue amount went up very slightly/ sales just about more than doubled with the price reduction...

So realistically revenue wise it made very little difference to us... However we decided to keep it at $0.99 as were trying to get it out to as many people as possible to create a bit of viral in the featured period... And if were making the same revenue then it made sense to make that revenue + have more people with the game spreading the word, rather than fewer with the same amount of cash...

Ultimately though I wouldn't be too scared of experimenting... We've recently changed our focus to try and produce a number of smaller games, rather than fewer high-risk larger titles... So were experimenting now, so that we know best for next time...

6. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    thank you guys. Decided to leave price as is as game stopped climbing and sits at racing top #50 at the moment.

Sales wise of course it has improved, but not as much as one would think. It sells 70-80 copies a day now that it's featured.

So it's not 150-600 copies as other games achieved while featured, but still very good for my game.

7. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    that's cool!

yeah the days of getting featured equaling hundreds and hundreds (or thousands or hundreds of thousands) are gone.. but were they ever really here to begin with?

At this point it's nice that your game is out there and getting tons of extra exposure, and with some luck it can get some word of mouth and a little community going. As you were talking about making a track editor of some sort, that would go a long way to helping give it a longer shelf life (of course, can you turn that around in time, and get enough of the sales to still look at the update? The eternal questions in the ever-mutating appstore)

Keeping an eye on it :)

8. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Well when in new and noteworthy we were achieving around 200 units a day average. Now were in "whats hot" and it's gone down to around 60-70 a day, but still reasonable...

We also released an update within the feature period... This didn't really impact on or improve sales at all...

You can get 1000's from being featured if it's FRONT of the app store and not just within the games section... Many app's in the "App Store Front" New and Noteworthy section reach the top 100 paid very very quickly... = anywhere from $600 a day up to $50,000 a day...

9. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    At the moment Vector Rally is featured in US and Worldwide, which is like >60 countries.

Is there any chance to be featured in Europe and Australia as well? Worldwide is totally worthless, at least for my game.

I saw quite a few games being featured in US, Europe at the same time, so not sure how it works.