Looking for recommendations. Best of the dual-stick shooters?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mister-k81, Nov 2, 2010.

1. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    So, I have purchased over 60-something games for my Ipod, but I have never actually bought a single dual-stick shooter for it. The dual stick shooter genre is quite possibly one of the most over saturated genres on the iOS. With so many options to choose from, it is hard for me to decide what is worth looking into.

Some of the most recent games in this genre seem to be Age of Zombies, Gun Brothers and Revolt (going by the TA main page), are any of these worth getting? Or what about older games in the app store like Predators (this one is in the top 50 game list on the Canadian app store), Mini Gore and iDracula?

What would you guys recommend?

2. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    ok... predators isn't a dss

3. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    It isn't? Looking at the screen shots, I assumed it was. :p

But it is on sale for 99 cents... worth getting?

4. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Age of Zombies and Alive 4-ever RETURNS are probably 2 of the best from what I hear. I haven't player either so I can't confirm. I have played the first Alive 4-ever, and it was a blast (no pun intended). Minigore is okay.

5. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    ye predators is good, but what you really need to get is minigore, its the best DS shooter out there

6. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Well there are over 100 that I have been able to find. But I do have a few favorites:
    Minigore
    Solomon's keep (and boneyard)
    Meteor Blitz
    Annihilation Undead
    Max Adventure(not out yet)
    PewPew2
    Meow Meow Happy Fight
    Alive 4Ever returns
    Alien Space
    And Revolt seems pretty good from what I have played so far.

7. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    #7 csklimowski, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    OBJECTION!

These are my favorites. IMO all of these are ten times better than Minigore.

Revolt. iDracula. Meteor Blitz. Isotope. Revolt. Guerrilla Bob. Meteor Blitz. PewPew 2. Revolt. Solomon's Keep. Meteor Blitz.

You may notice that Revolt and Meteor Blitz are mentioned three times. (hint: It's because they're really, really, really, really good.)

8. My favorites are Revolt, Solomon's Keep/Boneyard, Meow Meow Happy Fight, Alive 4Ever Returns, and Meteor Blitz.

9. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    It's more or less a top-down beat-em up with a ton of violence (for an iPhone game at least). For a buck, it's more than worth it. I definitely got my money's worth.

And as for best dual-stick shooters, I'm giving it to Alive 4 Ever Returns, Revolt, iDracula (old school but still sick), and possibly Age of Zombies. Minigore isn't bad, but it's definitely overrated. Let's just hope the upcoming update lives up to all the hype.

10. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Objection Sustained. I'll agree with the ones on that list that I've played.

And a little known one that I found pretty awesome was ZombieHunter [7DA] (formerly known as 7 Days Apocalypse). It's a bit overpriced at $3.99, but it's still a great game, especially seeing as it was one of the very first actually violent zombie games out there. Not a bad game at all, though.

iDracula still holds up surprisingly well. While others died out over time (Minigore), iDracula still remains one of the best out there, and not just because it was basically the first out there.

11. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I've played a ton of dual-stick shooters and my top three at the moment are:
    Meteor Blitz
    Alive 4 Ever
    Age of Zombies

I found Minigore a bit.. underwhelming. Not enough big explosions and the controls are not as responsive as the ones I listed.

12. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Revolt FTW. Runner-up: Age of Zombies.

I haven't played Alive 4 Ever but I hear good things... Meteor Blitz looks cool but it's such a knock off of Super Stardust I was turned off from buying it.

13. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Just thought I'd toss in 3 DSS that I've enjoyed.

Crazy John (Post apocalyptic zombie 16-bitish DSS)
    geoFighter (Geometry wars style)
    Solomon's Boneyard (kill Zombie with your mage power!)

14. Olord

Olord Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    My favourites are Solomon's Keep/Boneyard and Isotope.

15. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Age of zombies is my personal favorite, and since it's by halfbrick I'm sure there going to be updating it a lot.

16. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Minigore is one of the most overrated games in the appstore, in my opinion. It had cute graphics and lots of hype going for it, and it's not really BAD, but as others have mentioned, it's pretty underwhelming compared to others.

One of my favorite UNDERrated games on the appstore is BloodNGuns. By far my favorite dual stick shooter.

Gun Bros is really neat in concept, and you can't beat free, but the main thing that sets it apart from the pack (the "multiplayer") hardly ever works because for some reason the app can't connect to the internet. If they get that fixed, it would be a blast.

PewPew and Isotope are two great ones if lean more towards spaceship-type DSS.

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Revolt
    Geometry wars

18. zman2100

zman2100 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Investment Consultant
    Jacksonville, FL
    Solomon's Boneyard is pretty good but I've got to give a nod to Aftermath. It's a great zombie dss that really creates a fantastic atmosphere and has a nice selection of weapons. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it was seeing as I figured it'd be just another crappy zombie game.

19. Shebby289

Shebby289 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I'd say Alive 4 Ever (Returns) is one of the better ones out there if you're into missions, and especially if you have a friend to play co-op with. Achievements, upgradeable stats, skills and lotsa weapons to buy makes this somewhat more deep than other dss out there.