Good tower defense games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by rgunaratnar1, Feb 3, 2011.

1. rgunaratnar1

rgunaratnar1 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    I just downloaded and played 3kingdoms TD and 3KTD, and wanted to know if there are any other really good tower defense games like these

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Yeah, of course - there are dozens and some quite fantastic. Here are my Top 5:

1. Towers in Space
    2. Defender Chronicles
    3. geoDefense
    4. GeoDefense Swarm
    5. The Creeps

There are also some free TD games which are ok.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    My top 3

Plants vs zombies
    Bloons td 4
    Sentinel 3

4. rogue35

rogue35 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    My favs

I'm still new to IOS gaming but I love tower defense and some of the best I have tried include:

1) Star Defense (great graphics, sound and interesting gameplay. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't any kind of a rating for damage, so I'm never sure if it's better to upgrade or just throw up more towers

2) Guns N Glory (instead of towers you control 'old west' style bandits and you can move them, controls can be a little frustrating though, seems like I'm always try to move someone only to hit one of the "inactive" bandits)

3) ITD (not alot of 'flashyness' but the interface is solid and I like it)

4) Stenches (just got this when it was free, strugling to get the hang of it, not loving it, at least yet)

FYI, #1 and #2 both have free versions to try, ITD I think is free.

5. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    Geo Defense
    Geo Defense Swarm
    Defender Chronicles
    The Creeps
    Star Wars Hoth
    Pew Pew Land
    R.O.S.M
    SpaceStation Frontier
    Sentinel Series from Origin8
    iBomber Defense

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your in for a treat, since 3KTD is actually not at all good compared to much of what is out there. Several forum members including me considered it ripe for deletion. Elements of it were close, but it lacked the overall depth and polish of other titles.

I'd say the most similar would be Defender Chronicles or Zombie Attack! Second Wave inasmuch as Defender Chronicles has a highly upgradeable hero, and ZA2 has a mobile hero like 3KTD. Defender Chronicles is better, but ZA2 was well liked.

Very good games which are a little more different from 3KTD:
    Plants vs. Zombies - nearly everyone loves this, just buy it
    Space Station Frontier - a bit of a RTS feel, its my favorite RTS/Tower blend.

7. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    3 Kingdoms TD is quite good, I would suggest those:
    • Plants vs Zombies (it's a different approach than classical TD but rather polished gameplay)
    • Monster Feed (it gets highly inspired by the Creeps but still has its own values)
    • iBomber Defense (it seems a bit classical but I felt it has one of the most tunned gameplay without to try reach a too extreme difficulty)
    • Lord of the Rings Defense of Middle Earth (but only for ipad owners or perhaps those with retina display but not the standard iphone version)
    • The Creeps iphone version (iPad version has too few levels it is only for Creeps fans)
    • Defender Chronicles (but only for searching a very challenging TD because it hasn't many levels and its life duration will be based on your wish to beat levels at harder difficulty level)
    • Sentinel 3 (but I wouldn't advise previous of the series as much than this third).
    • 7 Cities
    • ElementalMonster TD (a little bit complicated if you ask me but that's its interest)
    • Epic War TD (too short but fun, the most detailed graphics, even more than Sentinel 3, it's a detail but rather pleasant)
    • Space Station: Frontier (A different approach)
    • AutoRobot TD
    • Vanguard Storm
    • Sweetwater Defense
    • Bio Army (on TD technical side ie difficult)
    • Starfall
    • Bloon TD 4
    • Tower Madness (Another technical one, the better polished from features but the graphics and the mood is a bit special, if you can go over it, you'll probably enjoy)
    • Besiegement
    • Funny Sango TD

And yes I would include 3 Kingdoms TD in this list.

Now if you are curious there are some very special TD that are interesting for their originality, but well not sure it's still TD but at least TD are a part of the influences on their design:
    • Dungeon Defenders
    • Knight Defense
    • Zombie Attack! Second Wave XL
    • Dungeon Defense
    • Chromatic Cosmos (it's in fact close to be a classical TD with original design points but it has a very special feature that in my opinion make it like a knightmare action puzzle, if you let pass only one enemy you lost the level, still interesting to try)
    • Zombie Defense (The idea was good but the realization fails a little to implement a sort of survival campaign with a continuity between levels through resources management)

8. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Sentinel 3
    Sentinel 2
    The creeps
    Epic War TD
    Bio Army

Well basically I am just echoing the above post if I keep going. But these 5 are my favorites. :)

9. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Fieldrunners
    Diet Defence
    Geo Defence
    Geo Defence Swarm
    4Towers
    Any of the 3 Sentinel games
    Plants vs Zombies
    Funny Sango TD
    Besiegement
    Crystal Defenders
    Lord Of The Rings Defence Of Middle Earth
    Bloons TD4

There are loads on the app store. I have tried and played all the ones I've listed and really enjoyed them all.