Pokemon-like games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lepeos, Mar 17, 2010.

1. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Is there any? Theres an old topic from 2009 and the conclusion pretty much came to, get Epic Pet Wars, which is crap. So any updates?

I got interested in this after reading about those re-makes of Gold and Silver with the pokewalker, and I find it kind of crazy that a developer hasn't realised that the iPod platform would be perfect for games like this, what with Wifi and 3G for online trading and battling, the accelorometer...for something, and if they built a game a la Pokemon Red, they could just make a few adjustments, different monsters ect, and release it at the same time on the App store and make even more profit, a la Pokemon Blue.

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    No, Epic Pet Wars is still the "best" option. If you're jailbroken you could always play some on the gb/gba emulator.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    One has, actually, but it takes a shitload of work to create anything even close to the Pokemon universe. Nintendo has thousands of people working on their games.

4. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010

Yeah I realise that, all the stats balancing, and the fact that Pokemon has really only been tweaked bit by bit, generation by generation. To me it's more the fact that there's loads of FPS games, loads of RTS games, and loads of JRPG games and what like one game that vaguely resembles Pokemon?

I'd settle for a crappy Gameloft rip-off, 'Cyber-M.O.N.S.T.E.R.S' or whatever, and I had thought about the jailbreak option, but I'd rather have the option to trade and stuff.

I might just have to quit whining and buy another DS

5. dannyzon

dannyzon Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    yah if they acually made a game like pokemon, it would get alot of hits!

i would look in to it right away, :)

6. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Who wouldn't lol? A pokemon game on an iDevice..total win to me. :D

7. dannyzon

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    #7 dannyzon, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    yah but its not likley ganna happen.....

:( also how do you start a thread...?

8. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Final Fantasy. Pretend the characters are the Pokemon.

9. dannyzon

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    How do you create a thread!?!?

10. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Go out to the forum page, in the top left is a button that says: NEW THREAD. Really complex I know.

11. Orlandosan

Orlandosan Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    College Student
    Somewhere in the US
    Smells like a copyright xD

I don't think its possible to make a pokemon-like game, because there is way too much competition for it to succeed.

12. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I loved the old Gameboy Pokemon games and seeing a fully realized clone would be amazing. I believe one of the reasons Nintendo included a Pokewalker in the Gold/Silver remake is too make the purchase seem more appealing instead pirating the game to their R4s.

Gamefreak has about 70 people on their team (and probably much less when red/blue came out) but that is still a lot for developing an iphone app.

13. dannyzon

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    oh... thanks... :)

14. dannyzon

Jul 1, 2009
    Canada
    wait... I MEANT TO SAY FORUM!!!

and also i still dont see the, make new thread...

15. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Yea Id love a game like this, I may even jailbreak just to play Red again...

Danny... only mods can make new Forums, and i think ur test of making a good thread starts with being able to find the New Thread button... look at the top

16. fallenashes

fallenashes Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    yes
    Since there are no pokemon like games out there, to me, an official game boy (color/advance) emulator for the DS/iPhone would be an awesome thing, because as far as I know, they are all outdated now and incompatible with current handhelds, and they are great games not making any money.

If Nintendo released an official emulator, it would be a giant double edged sword, because they would re-vitalize some of the best games, including pokemon, and start making money without having a big budget. Also there would be a lot less jailbreaking if people could own an official copy. But then they would be supporting a competitor, because apple gets 30%(I think) of the profits.

I know this is a little off topic, but that's my two cents (that could have been saved up for an app :p)

17. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    the thing that you didnt think of is that people are considering buying a ds so they can play old gb games like pokemon, I think someone already said they might get a ds just for pokemon in this thread. By releasing an emulator they are cutting potential profits of people buying a ds, and that is why they will never create an emulator for a direct competitor, but Id love it if they did.

18. DrMonkey

DrMonkey Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    It actually would seem kinda hard to make a pokemon-clone. You'll have to think up at least 100 different creatures, make a battle system, an overworld, etc.
    I bet Gameloft could do that though. XP

19. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Sword and Poker reminds me of Pokemon...oddly

20. micgao

micgao Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Emulator is the best option but I know people dont like it because it is illegal