Best Kairosoft Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kioshi, Jun 8, 2012.

1. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Hi all,
    I only played Game Dev Story and I loved it to death. Grand Prix I tried but found it boring, didn't give it a fair chance tho.

Now I wanna play another Kairo game, which would you recommend?

Pocket Academy seems the one that would suit my tastes best but I'm not sure. Any recommendation and criticism on their newer games (including PA)?

Thank you very much.

2. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Game Dev Story is by far their best. I've had a hard time getting into some of theirs like Pocket Academy or Hot Springs Story, but if I had to pick I'd say the new Dungeon Village is second best. Epic Astro and Mega Mall would be next for me and you should maybe give Grand Prix another shot because I found it to be one of their better ones.

3. waxandwane

waxandwane Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Most of their games are really slow to take off, and in some like Pocket Academy you'll get a few years of deficit but afterwards it gets more interesting. Dungeon Village is second best imo but it depends on what theme draws you most I guess. They're worling on a sequel to game dev story btw :)

4. Aggon

Aggon New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Student
    Plymouth, UK
    Yeah, I've played the Game Dev, Grand Prix, Hot Springs and Pocket League Stories and Game Dev Story is definitely the best of the lot. The others just didn't have me coming back to them like I did with Game Dev Story.

5. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I'v never bought any of their games untill I picked up Dungeon Village. Tried some of the demos, they just didn't grab me. But how could I pass up a dungeon crawler themed kairosoft sim??? :D

Loving it!!!! I can see myself putting in a lot of hours into it, now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't so good of an idea to pick it up! :D

6. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Game Dev and Mega Mall are their best games imo. I didn't like Pocket Academy very much.

7. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    I'd say that Mega Mall story is the best. It had me hooked like no other Kairosoft game, and is just so fun. I haven't tried the Edo Towns or Dungeon Village ones, though.

8. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    You should try out some of the lite versions..as everyone seems to like different kairosoft games..

I also loved GDS (who couldn't!)
    I also liked hot springs but it wasn't anywhere near as good as game dev story.

I didn't like grand prix story.
    Nor astro, nor pocket league.

I did LOVE oh! Edo town though.. Actually it's possibly my favorite kairo game ever.

Venture towns was also nice, similar to edo but a bit more in depth (vehicles etc)

I haven't really played pocket academy..I bought it on sale for 99c and I was tired and in bed and played around with it for a couple minutes but couldn't really understand how to play it so I closed it and never really opened it again. It seems harder to grasp then the other basic kairo games.

Megamall story was also good.. Reminded me a bit of tiny tower.

There is basically 2 types of kairo games, city builder or company.. City builders are games like mega mall, edo town, hot springs, venture towns, etc. Things that basically concentrate on building rather then the business/research/marketing side of things like game dev story, pocket academy, etc

Haven't tried dungeon village yet, but I'd assume it'd be good.
    But we should all know by now that every single kairo game goes on sale for $1.99 soon after launch, then is further discounted to 99c soon thereafter.

I've only paid full price for GDS, Hot springs, and edo..everything else was $1.99 and a couple 99c i think. Maybe just wait til the sales and buy them all! $10 for the whole catalog is not bad at all..

9. ManofAegis

ManofAegis Well-Known Member

May 1, 2010
    California, USA
    I've only played Game Dev Story and Hot Springs Story. I spent countless hours on the former, but I loved the amount of customization and random events in the latter.

10. solistus

solistus Member

May 24, 2012
    Dungeon Village is my new favorite. I love Game Dev Story and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried, but I find the actual gameplay a bit too repetitive/easy to hold as much replay value as the city builder style games. That said, my first few hours with Game Dev Story were the most enjoyable time I've spent on any Kairosoft game, and I still come back from time to time for a playthrough to chuckle at the many, many in-jokes in company/console/game/employee names.

Epic Astro Story is fun as well, but Dungeon Village has largely replaced it for me. I would wet my pants with excitement if Kairosoft made a bigger, more complex version of any of their games, although I certainly understand the iterative approach of smaller/simpler game releases.

11. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Thanks for the impressions.

I think I'll get the Dungeon Village one, Pocket Academy looks more like my style but.. Here and in other websites I saw mixed impressions.

Seems like Game Dev is still their best tho :p