Fatty - Get the Princess (Early Trailer - Looking for Concept Feedback)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by friken, Mar 8, 2010.

1. friken

friken New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    #1 friken, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010

As an avid reader of TA forums, I'd like to get some feedback on our upcoming game, Fatty Get The Princess. Being fairly early in the dev process, I'd like to share a concept/trailer in the hope your feedback can help shape the game. I would guess the project is around 50% complete and is targeting a couple more months in development.

I hope the trailer shows the basic idea -- puzzle game that you have a preset number of clones to use to get to the top of the tower. Every clone action is recorded and played back when you play the next clone. At the top you will find your princess. The goal (sorry not yet in the trailer) is to manage to gather enough gold/treasure along the way to buy a better princess. She'll start out a hag and the more gold you have to throw her way when you get there earns you a hotter princess. :eek:

For more on the base concept see Cursor*10 flash game or Chronotron or to some degree Braid for the x360

So some questions for the audience here. Name... two names are being considered -- also open for other suggestions. "Fatty - Get the Princess" is pretty straight forward.. the other that makes me laugh but may be too far over the top ?? is "Play With Yourself"... clever fit for the clone/replay concept?

The actual puzzles / gameplay go for the thinker audience... maybe a bit geeky. I worry seeing the how uber-casual most of the top games are and that this concept may not be a great match for the iphone audience. Any feedback on this, or suggestions on how to simplify the concept for the iphone audience? Or maybe you think the audience will get it?

Thanks in advance for feedback :)

[​IMG]

2. xFinch713x

xFinch713x Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Seems pretty cool :) How much do you think you will be charging for it? I've only seen one other game like it, but it may just be that I haven't seen the others :x Looking good though :) How will the player know where the character goes though when going through certain doors? That's where I was confused :\

3. friken

friken New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm not sure yet on pricing. Somewhere between freemium and $2.99. :)

doors windows and stair cases will all be part of the puzzles.. Destination unknown until tried. Items like floor triggers wall switchs trip wires etc will be able to change states of other objects like removing a wall, unlocking a door triggering a trap, making treasure visible, etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Looks very cool - I would vote for a set price though instead of freemium unless you have an upgradeable lite. I like games like these so will be watching with interest.

5. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    Coughfatprincesscough.

6. Not a bad concept. I've played Chronotron before and thought it was certainly interesting. The video is confusing though; I must admit I really had no clue what was going on or why. I understand the concept, just not what the clones were doing or why they were doing it. (I don't know if there was sound; I'm at work so was playing with the sound off, if that matters.)

Still, I don't think I've seen that concept for the iPhone, and if you can pull it off in an intuitive way with a decent tutorial I think it could work. I'm not sure what to make of the title though. It's not particularly clever or memorable, and I'm not sure if some people might find it offensive. (You never know with some people) I think a more memorable name would help sell the game. (That's always a hard part for me)

I'd say go for it. It bucks current trends, it's different than existing iPhone games, and hopefully people will pick up on that.

7. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

aww... i thought it was fat princess...

8. friken

friken New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not a big fan of the name myself... naming is a moving target, just never know what will be that golden name. I'm sure TA wouldn't appreciate 200 posts w/ different names to test ;)

In regards to the video being confusing as to what it going on. That is my biggest worry -- players not getting the concept through gameplay. To explain (maybe will help with suggestions on how to cleanup the game/ui/something to make it clear):

Fatty#1 is walled in and has a single door as a choice. Goes through the door, can get to a wall switch, flip switch and sees that the wall in previous room vanishes. He sees a floor button to stand on to the right walks over to it, but a floor spike kills him. Fatty#1 dead... Level Restarts

Fatty #2 see's the ghost of Fatty #1 do all the things the player had him do before. So Fatty#2 waits for Fatty#1 to trip the floor spike, then he can walk by it without getting killed and stand on the floor switch. The floor switch unlocks the 2nd door on floor1. Player clicks to skip the rest of the time allowed for fatty#2 and reset the level.

Fatty #3 sees ghosts of previous two do their recorded thing. When the wall vanishes walks forward and trips the bear trap... death

Fatty #4 waits for bear trap to be sprung and walks by... mmmmm cake. Fatty can't pass up cake and the rest of that clone's time is spent stuffing his mouth.

Fatty #5 waits for the beartrap and cake eating ghost and door to unlock and then goes through it. That door leads to floor #2... he gets treasure then tries the window. Oops that one doesn't lead anywhere but death.

This demo puzzle really isn't a great example, but works with the gameobjects that are in the engine so far. Hidden switches, teleporters, and many more fun ways to kill a Fatty are being added.

Soooooo... what does it need to make it obvious as to what the clones are doing and why? I'd like something in the actual game to make it more obvious and intuitive. Thoughts:

- better transition from one dead clone to next?
    - Should early puzzles maybe highlight the next object that needs interaction to handhold players through 1-2 first puzzles?

I welcome ideas. Again thanks for the feedback.