How long should a game be supported?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by coolpepper43, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

It's been a mentality for developers to release games unfinished and fix them as the complaints roll in for some reason...

2. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    The AppStore is a wonderful and complicated place as I've been learning. I still have Alice Freefall on my iPod but can no longer find it in the AppStore to put on my iPad mini. Probably the dev didn't update it or pulled it. A dev can pull an app for whatever reason--maybe they've made a shinier new app and are embarrassed by an old one, maybe they don't want to or can't update and they know it might not work that well or look that good as devices get more sophisticated. Maybe they didn't make money to justify the app.

As far as devs releasing before a game is done-- I don't think I'd do that---but--- if you love the name of your app and it's almost what you want it to be BUT it's been almost four months since you took your app name on iTunes connect, you are in danger of losing your app name if you don't upload your file for review. Sweating feverishly myself to finish two new games because I don't want to lose the names. : ). I have 3.5 months left to finish both. But time passes quickly.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This is one thing i dont get ! Why dont people backup their apps ? My apps come to about 40 gig ! So i have those backed up (and eventually copied to the 'cloud').

But its crazy not to backup your apps. I got into that due to Gridlee (MAME) as i wanted to make sure i had that app for future devices as it was obviously pulled soon after it was released.

But people please ! Backup your apps as a fair few in the future you wont be able to install as they wont be on the app store. Crazy not to

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Guys, you DON'T need to backup your apps. You can find them in the purchased tab in the AppStore app (or iTunes on the PC). It's just that they don't have a page anymore, but since you bought them, even if they got pulled, you still have the rights to download them. Otherwise that would be REALLY lame from Apple.

5. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    Wow! I found a lot of apps that I'd forgotten i had.

But not Alice Freefall. Wonder why. So maybe backing up your apps is a good thing too? Apple recommends it as I recall. : )

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i'm a bit confused now between the two ways !

From itunes i tend to select backup apps.

I then see all my apps in....

(Normally documents and settings) / iOS apps backup / Mobile Applications

In here i've got about 105 gig of apps. I moved this folder onto my external drive as i didnt have enough room on my hard drive.

When it comes to apps such as Gridlee i wanted to physically see the .ipa backed up on my machine ! Never want to lose that one !

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    As I said before. The game little Luca that I payed for recently got pulled and it does not even show up in the purchased tab. So I guess it is lame of Apple.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    On itunes, if you go to edit/preferences and then click on the Advanced tab you'll have a itunes media folder location.

So i presume in that folder theres no little luca.ipa ? Just wanted to double check.

Seems to be mixed signals, i always click on file/backup apps on itunes and that takes ages as you can see its copying the ipa's to your PC. I just tend to do that to 100% make sure those apps are backed up. Does take ages though !

Currently copying (actually 150 gig !) of ipas to dropbox to free up space

9. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Marvel vs Capcom 2, House of the Dead: Overkill... I still can download all the games I bought that got pulled through the purchased history.

Little Luca should appear there. Check again and just in case, go to iTunes and see if you hid it by mistake.

If you can't find it, the best you can do is contact Apple's support.

10. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I'll check on a computer later but I'm almost positive I didn't hide it and I know that I'm searching correctly. Btw, I can't believe they pulled mvc2 that's freaking crazy! Lucky I still see both overkill and mvc2 under purchased. My heart stopped a sec when I read that. Lol

11. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    That was Disney. They asked some companies to remove their Marvel games, mainly Activision and Capcom.

12. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    OMG, wasn't there the old xmen arcade game on ios? I should have picked it up when I had the chance. Is the new uncanny xmen in danger then?

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just had a look on my itunes, i was missing lots of my old games. I've got them backed up though so i simply went to that folder with all my ipa's, then selected them all and dragged them over to Apps on itunes, so what its doing now is filling it up with all the icons of my games. That way i can then install these ipas via itunes if i need to

If i then connect my iphone i can then search for an app and install it directly. Think before i must have backed my ipa files into different folders and itunes was only picking up the apps from the one it was linked to (not backup folders etc).

Worth doing a search on your computer for 'lumo' as it may be backed up elsewhere if its not showing in itunes

14. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    #34 Lazer Kat, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    How long should a game be supported?
    As long as the Dev wants to support it.

We have no right to demand a game be updated and supported at all. We do have the right to choose which devs we support with our dollars, though.

You still have Tetris on NeS. Why can't Apple do that?

Simple answer. The difference between physical media and digital.

If I own a physical game it is mine, forever. If I download the game, technically I'm just buying the rights to play it while it's available.

15. GAMESHARQ

GAMESHARQ Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Earth
    Restoring games/apps that are no longer listed on itunes?

I'll probably be trading in my iPad 2 for an iPad Air very soon. My only concern is that some of the apps that I have on my iPad 2 no longer appear in the itunes search results, so I assume they have been removed. However, I do have them backed up in my itunes media folder on my hard drive.

I'd hate to lose them. What is the process for getting these apps onto my new iPad once I get it?

16. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    If You use same iTunes account when you buy The New iPad then it's not a problem,if you go with you're New iPad on purchased tab And search "not on This device"then all app that you previously purchased but not anymore in itunes,you can redownloaded from here,using ICLOUD icon,i always do in This way..

17. Catacomber

May 21, 2009
    NYC
    #37 Catacomber, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    How do you back up your games again? I have to back up my Minecraft game because Microsoft just bought Minecraft from Mojang and am worried about not having it as it is anymore. :confused: Cry. I can't really deal with this!!!! Sob.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    On itunes - file/devices/backup

19. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    If for some reason any things gone from the purchase history, once iTunes is open on of you should be able to click on your device, then apps and it'll show a list of everything you've backed up to PC and you'll just press install. You'll have to use the same iTunes account as the original purchase though.