iPhone Spymaster (by PlayRaven)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Dasinf

Dasinf Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Ouch, that indeed sounds unfair! I'm not up to speed with the current mission math (we tweak it constantly) but having all agents injured on a perfect plan is extremely rare. Mission failure happened because of the total team injuries so in a sense the team being all incapacitated overruled plan quality. Probably shouldn't be possible on hindsight.

As a fun fact we actually had loads of different semi-random elements in the game during beta stages and took most of them out because they felt unfair by nature. It's a bit tricky to come up with systems that are not completely deterministic (if-this-then-that) but also don't feel like crap just rain on you for no reason regardless of what you do :)

About healing and gold: we balanced the whole game to be played without any gold spend and in fact most of the top players have not bought any gold ever. We did end up adding a few points where it's possible to spend gold to recover from a bad situation, but we also made sure that by doing that you are putting yourself in an disadvantage in that particular operation. For competitive players paying actually lowers round results so that got a lot of positive feedback when we started testing it.

That said, we definitely need to become better at communicating how some of these systems work and what makes them fair or unfair. Live and learn :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make sure the team sees it.

2. Bernzwong

Bernzwong Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 26, 2011
    I came back to see what the devs had to say, and that was all I needed to see.

Cheers and good luck.

3. Mimerjuri

Mimerjuri New Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Hi.
    Great game. I have been playing it for the last week, and like the feel of it.

Generally I dont like freemium games, but I dont reel hindered by it in this case. I play the game, and spend my precious gold wisely :).

I have a question for the devs: when an agent has been injured for a while or only has little time left to recover from injury, a succesfull mission can remove the injuries alltogether. I cant quite figure out the mechanics behind this. Is it possible that you could explain this?

THX for great game.

4. Best75

Best75 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    It gets worse when you agents get captured

5. Mimerjuri

Mimerjuri New Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Ive had agents captured multiple times. If possible I recover them in mission (sometimes at the expense of the mission), and it often costs some gold for extra round too.

I havent spent any money on this game yet, and I have ten agents (6 of them are level 6), and app 200 gold in the bank - just saying its possible to play the game without spending. Sometimes it means you gotta put the game down, because all your agents are injured.

6. Mimerjuri

Mimerjuri New Member

Sep 21, 2014
    I still like the game, but have been hit with a terrible bug.

During a mission one of my agents was captured, as usual I wanted to rescue him. Only this time a factory was sitting on top of his "prison" which meant I had to take down the factory first. I did that once, and lost another agent, only to find that a factory was still on top of the "prison". After having paid gold for a few extra rounds, and tried multiple times more, all my four agents were captured.

Price to get them free: 2x lvl 8 at 197 gold each, 2 x lvl 7 at 126 gold each. On top of that i spent extra gold on extra rounds and I am not able to use my "support the war effort", which I bought for the week to come. Even though this represents a value of more than 60$, there is no way to contact Playraven. I have tried writing on their facebook page, but they dont respond.

Getting worried here...

7. Mimerjuri

Mimerjuri New Member

Sep 21, 2014
    Playraven have replied to my facebook message.

Ill let you know how it turns out...

8. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    If the devs are still subscribed to this thread, I wondered if you might be willing to let us know how the game did for you.

Did it meet your expectations? Were you happy with the monetisation from F2P?

Two years later, there's still nothing else like this game on the App Store.

9. RobinPLR

RobinPLR Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Vidya Gamez!
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thanks for the kind words Georgina!

The short answer is that we were positively overwhelmed with the amazing reviews, feedback and general appeal of Spymaster.

We learnt a lot with Spymaster, especially since it was PlayRaven's first release. That said, we definitely see room for improvement (game devs often do!), and as such are working on a reboot of the game. The Spymaster world has a ton of potential in our eyes.

We're aiming to launch the new Spymaster early next year - there will be a different art style, unique social features and a ton of agents to collect.

We hope Spymaster fans both old and new dig it :)

-robin

10. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Robin, that's great news! Is there a possibility that the new version will be universal so phones can get in on the action as well?

Thanks!