Share app revenue with partner. Companie or not?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by baptiste, Apr 19, 2012.

1. baptiste

baptiste Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Hi
    I'm develloping one game for ios with a friend.
    We're asking to ourselves how to share revenue. Do we have to run a companie for that? Or is it possible that apple Transfer revenue to two different people for one game?
    How does indie devellopers do?
    Do you know if it's simpler on android market?

Thanks!
    And sorry for my bad english.

Baptiste

2. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Apple will only deposit the funds into one bank account. So either you open a joint bank account, or have Apple deposit the funds into your account and you send your partner his portion. However, make sure you are complying with whatever tax laws are necessary in your country.

If you were in the US you could just give your partner a 1099-Misc at the end of the year with how much you paid him, and write that portion off on your taxes. He'd have to pay tax on his portion as stated on the 1099 form.

However, from your post I'm guessing you aren't in the US... so make sure you talk to an accountant to get some qualified advice.

What I just wrote is in NO WAY qualified tax advice. :rolleyes:

3. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I second what Waffle said. I do something similar with my friend, and it works well.

The unqualified advice I've read is that you'd set up a company mainly in order to remove yourself from legal responsibility from any debts you might incur. A lot of times for a really small developer, the cost and overhead of running a company isn't really worth it.

If you start making a lot of money, it might be worth looking into :)

4. baptiste

baptiste Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Ok thank you!
    :)