Battle Buddies (line drawing tactical combat game by Supercell)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Dec 16, 2011.

1. SCJone

SCJone Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Supercell
    Finland
    We're busting our butts to get it out as soon as possible, but we also want to tweak and polish everything, so I can't give out an exact date. Before summer, for sure. I'd want it to be out already. :)

Well, currently we can make all walls destructible if we want, but it doesn't make that much sense level-design-wise, as the whole level will easily be reduced to rubble. But, I think we want to add a level or two with everything destructible just for the heck of it.

In our current development version objects are all rock-solid, but the plan is to make them too completely destroyable.

2. SCJone

SCJone Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Supercell
    Finland
    Arta, thanks for posting the videos! They're from a "limited" beta we're currently running. It shouldn't be much longer before we can release it for the global community.

We're still developing full-steam, and some elements will undergo changes before going global; namely the skills & training changes will change quite a lot. We're also adding localized languages. Naturally, a big bunch of tweaks and tunes are still under development, and there's a huge list of new cool features and improvements to be attacked in the updates, but the initial release is not that far away anymore. :)

Thanks for the patience, people!

3. emdash

emdash Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    artist / Art Director
    Oakland, CA
    This game looks terrific! Good looking design and gameplay. The trailer is nice, but I'm especially liking the gameplay stuff shown in the guerrilla videos, like how the thrown weapon trajectory updates as you decide where to place it, and how you show the field of vision. Very much looking forward to playing this... need any beta testers?

I noticed that Supercell has offices in Finland an SF. SCJone, I would assume from your name that you're in the Finland office. Is that where this game is being developed? Funny thing, up 'til a month ago I was working in the same RocketSpace building as Supercell's SF team (and it's a really small building) but now I'm across the street from them. Small world!

4. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    This game looks great. Can't wait to play.

5. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Whatever happened to this one? It seems like it was cancelled, but I've no idea why.

It looked absolutely fantastic and I'm sure, following the beta, they could've fixed any issues they'd found..? It just doesn't make sense to cancel such a good looking game..

6. SCJone

SCJone Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Supercell
    Finland
    Hi! Sorry for the insanely long reply lag, but just to give this thread some closure: Unfortunately, we couldn't find enough player interest for Battle Buddies in our beta testing phase, so we eventually decided to can it. It was a VERY hard decision, but had to be made. The spirit of Battle Buddies lives on with everything I do, so maybe we'll meet again later on down the road.

PS. I heard that the new XCOM game will be making an appearance on iPad sometime in the future, and RAD Soldiers is already out, so iOS gamers can get their tactical squad combat fix even without BB.

7. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #28 steviebwoy, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    I've got to tell you, man, I think that was an utterly terrible decision you've made. How can you base whether to release a game or not on a beta test!? Nobody had even heard of the game at the time, so how could people show how interested they were!?

Tactical turn-based shooters are making an absolutely massive comeback lately, and with the exposure you had with Clash of Clans you'd have had no problem at all getting people interested in Battle Buddies. It had the mapcap weapons of Worms with the amazing tactical edge of XCOM.

In my opinion, all you had to do was work out how to sell it. You already had a massive reach of potential buyers through Clash of Clans, so a cheeky advert on that would have reached millions of new players.

I don't think you should've considered free-to-play as a viable model for Battle Buddies; just sell it for 99p with a single player campaign and multiplayer turn-by-turn online and it would've sold bucketloads, I'm absolutely certain of it.

This is one game I'm absolutely gutted to see canned, and I really can't see why, after all the work you'd done to the game, this decision was taken.

Maybe now is the time to have a fresh look at the game and see if you can make it work? I honestly think it's worth persevering with.

8. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Hm, guess this one's dead then :\

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Cant blame the devs. They're the ones who have to foot the bill for development time, you know how fickle iOS gamers can be. Very well asking for this game but if it sells badly then they could go bankrupt/lose jobs etc.

Lots of companies use beta tests or groups to try and judge whether its worth moving forward or not