"Free apps remain free"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MasterChief3624, Apr 19, 2010.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I was watching the iPhone OS 3.0 keynote (don't ask), and when they were talking about in-app purchases, I think they directly said that in-app purchases should just be for games where the purchases make sense (i.e. subscription, DLC, etc.). But after they said this, they brought up that free apps should remain free.

Maybe I heard and saw wrong, but if they're saying "Free apps remain free", how did 'freemium' games come about? That seems to go against that statement.

I realize this keynote was a year ago, and a lot has changed in the developer clause and contract, but I was just wondering what you all thought about that :p

2. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    you raise a good point there, however i think the freemium games have become that way because of our good friend Piracy. I think aple realized that piracy was taking a huge toll on the appstore and freemium games were one way to combat that. But this is just my opinion.

3. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    I believe, correct me if I am wrong, that they somewhat recently changed that. In the past, the apps did have to be paid to include in-app purchases.

4. Spocket

Spocket Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I don't see why people have such a big problem with freemium. They're giving you a game for free, you can pay if you want, you don't have to pay if you don't want to. Seems like a win for the customer to me.

5. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    First, free games had to remain free. But it was changed soon.