release in one country first

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by metalbean, Jun 3, 2012.

1. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Coca cola uses Norway as their test country, since it's a small market and fairly contained. Also because many say that Norwegian are more "american" than their fellow europeans. Coca cola uses it to see if Norwegians like the new product before doing massive marketing and product launch in U.S.

Similarly, hardware company use Hong Kong as the testbed for mainland china. If something sells well, it's likely that it will be well received in mainland China.

Apart from that, there is the obvious benefit of A/B hit testing improvement, server load, user feedback etc.

Have you guys thought of that?

2. David Phan

David Phan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    President & Producer
    Vancouver
    Our current plan for our first game is to soft-launch it in the Canadian app store. As Canadians ourselves, we're hoping to generate some light local buzz from this, but the main reason we're going with Canada is because user feedback and trends between the Canadian and US app stores are almost carbon copies of each other (personal opinion).

DP

3. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    David,

Canada is a good soft launch market. It's close to U.S, geographically and taste-wise. The downside is that, though small, Canada is a pretty high ARPU country. Am thinking of even smaller market as a soft launch test.

4. Jason Stark

Jason Stark Active Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Games Developer
    Noosa, Australia
    I guess that's one of the benefits of a zero dollar marketing budget - you don't have to worry about things like this. ;)

But seriously, what are the advantages of a "soft" launch to a small scale developer?

5. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Check out this Article by Ndemic Creations (who is active here):

http://www.ndemiccreations.com/home/the-making-of-plague-inc/7daysonfromfirstinfection%E2%80%93plagueinclaunchanalysis

It's a review of the first seven days after the launch of their game and basically explains all the updating and feedback they immediately received.

Releasing to a smaller market would likely get you most of this feedback so you could implement those updates before a full global release. You can talk to a lot of people even with a $0 marketing budget, so having your product in the best quality possible for one big push on release could certainly help you get the initial surge to push you into the charts.

6. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    A lot of major publishers prefer Canada, and I concur: It's a fabulous market to beta-release your app. It's very reflective of NA and the west as a whole while also giving you similar activity spikes WRT time of day / week / month and user preferences.

Full disclosure: My employer is Canadian : P

7. zimone

zimone Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This is actually a good idea that I hadn't considered before, so thanks guys :)

8. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    I've kept on thinking about this the last few days and it just sounds more and more like the best way to do things. Does anyone know of any indies who've tried this method and blogged/posted results?

9. pragmapack

pragmapack New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I hadn't thought of this before, what a great idea! Thanks

10. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Test launching in Canada sounds like a great idea.

Are there any DISadvantages to just having a soft launch in one country?

11. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I don't know how new and noteworthy features behave. Are they determined per country or is the app no longer considered 'new' after it's been out for a while in a different country?

12. In my experience, most mid-large developers softlaunch in Hong Kong or Canada because they are consistently low monetising territories. It is easier in these territories then to benchmark the performance of an upcoming product against other released products so as to develop possible performance trends.

For smaller developers though there is really very little need to soft launch. Unless you want to run non-simulation stress testing of server, etc...

13. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    What? I don't know about Hong Kong but Canada is approx 1/10th the US in terms of earning for most iOS companies. For Loopycube (being proud Canadians) we're sitting around 1/8th.

The reason why you'd soft launch in Canada is Canadian behaviors closely resemble the Americans, but you'd have only 10% the number of people in your server to muck things up. It has everything to do with the number of people, not the number of dollars spent.

I would assume the same rings true for Hong Kong and China (the 2nd biggest iOS market).

14. AgnesDev

AgnesDev Active Member

#14 AgnesDev, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    What about 2 semi-soft-launches?

I heard about this "practice" a week ago, and I'm planning to launch NanoLooper in Polish App Store (I think the market is smaller than in Canada), then (e.g. v1.1) launch in Canada, and then the final one (v1.2) in larger App Stores (in the US, the UK, Germany and maybe in France).

But to be honest, I don't know if Polish gamers give more critical rather than valuable feedback... With all respect to Poles, but something is "wrong" with their mentality and very often they are against everything (especially someone's success).

Does anyone know the answer for Blackharon's question:
    -=Agnes=-