Care to help an indie? Which teaser vid for our Word/Adventure game do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MadSallyGames, May 12, 2015.

1. MadSallyGames

MadSallyGames Active Member

#1 MadSallyGames, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    Hi everybody! My indie studio is releasing our first mobile app: A word-adventure game called Scroodles.

[​IMG]

We're putting together a few possible 25 second preview videos for the App store and we're looking for opinions. If you have a moment, could you let us know which of these videos you like best?

Trailer A:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nGRqRBoeB8
    Trailer B:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAaigNgGaGs
    Trailer C:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Sa_KFaO18

Also, if anyone is interested in playing a beta build of Scroodles, PM or e-mail me your e-mail. I'm at [email protected]. I'll send you an invite to the Testflight beta build! You must have iOS 8 to test the beta.

2. new_ipodtouch5G_owner

new_ipodtouch5G_owner Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Canada
    #2 new_ipodtouch5G_owner, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    I enjoy word games, and Scroodles has kind of peeked my interest. Looks like a fun game. I bet it must be difficult to sum up a game in a 25 second clip. I would probably go with Scroodles Teaser Trailer B, because it shows a variety of the characters that you have to fight.

But to be honest, it might help if you added the explore 70+ levels map and maybe show off some of the power ups, like in the 1:40 clip.

Will Scroodles follow a freemium or a premium model? And safe to say a possible summer release? I wish you the best of success with your 1st game and i will definitely keep watching for the release.

3. AwesEmz

AwesEmz Active Member

May 19, 2014
    Game Designer
    Northern Ireland
    I prefer trailer A but the noise of some of the characters takes you out of the soothing feeling the lovely music creates.
    I am definitely going to play this regardless of which trailer you go for, it looks gorgeous and I also enjoy word games. The vampire and pig noises would make me look for an sfx off option though.

4. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Looks Great

Cool promo videos, love the character animation. Out of the 3 I think B was the best, all very similar.

Hope this helps! Good Luck with the launch.

5. Tough one. I like that B shows more enemies (especially since they have so much character!), but I find the other two videos are better at explaining the game. B might be slightly too fast-paced since it's trying to fit more in?

6. MadSallyGames

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

To answer a couple questions: Yes we're going with a player-friendly free-to-play model and we're hoping to release in the next few weeks.

As for the videos, we've been torn between creating a video with an overall 'feel' of the game to trying to show as much gameplay variety as possible in 30 seconds! I think we'll go with a variant of the 'B' video. Thanks for your help!

7. sgk.george

sgk.george Active Member

Apr 16, 2015
    San Francisco
    #7 sgk.george, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Congrats on developing your first game!
    I liked Both B and C. B has a nice variety of things. C shows 'their turn' which makes that aspect clear. I couldn't figure out that the scroodles would also be playing in videos A and B. You could merge this into B. I'm in for testing, I'll send you an email.
    Just one thing. Your title "Care to help an indie" isn't very appealing and seems like you're pleading for attention. See if you can change it to something better.
    Anyway, good job. How long have you guys been working on this and how many in your team?

8. Queues

Queues Member

Hey, looks interesting, I only got how the game works from C, but maybe thats because I'd seen A and B first? Anyway, actually A or B are better trailers...keeps the intrigue and highlights the USP that you're fighting the little dudes...

9. motherrrussia

motherrrussia Member

Aug 8, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    I liked option C the best. I thought it was the clearest at explaining what a Scroodle is

10. Visually I liked B best because of all the cool characters but C explains the gameplay a lot better. So I agree with sgk.george, mix the two together. Looks like a fun game, would love to see some screenshots of the characters.

11. MadSallyGames

#11 MadSallyGames, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think we'll be doing a combination of A and B. The main thing I'm debating now is cutting out the 'eraser' portion of the video where the eraser drags out a letter tiler and/or forms the word 'Scroodles' at the end [From video C]. I just don't think we'll have the time in 30 seconds.

Yeah, I actually tried to edit the title to "Scroodles! A word/adventure game!" right after I posted, but it didn't change it. :( Maybe a mod could help me out?

Glad you like the characters! We spent a lot of time on them. Here's an example of how we made one character, a stapler named "Milton" [Unrelated sidenote: Office Space is the greatest comedy every created].

[​IMG]

First we created some concepts for Enemies in our Desktop Depot world [we also used the Rolodex!]

[​IMG]

We ended up with Milton! Here he is in-game:

[​IMG]

And here's him attacking:

[​IMG]

12. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I liked 1 best because it showed more visually.
    'Are you smarter then a Scroodle' kept reminding of 'are you smarter then a 5th grader'
    Game looks like a lot of fun.
    Most likely more creative then most word games out there.

I saw that you plan on it being free. How? Timers? Consumable apps? Pay with ad viewing?......

I would love to help beta test because I love and am good at word games but I am worried about the freemium part.

Thank you

13. MadSallyGames

#13 MadSallyGames, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Thanks for the great feedback Lavender. We would love to have you beta test the app. We actually really want feedback on our consumable stuff. As a gamer myself, I tried really hard to find a good balance on being player friendly while still trying to make a living.

You can earn coins in the game by completing levels or watching optional video ads every few levels (Again, these videos are completely optional). Or you can spend real money to buy the coins.

You can spend the coins to buy lives, more health, or shuffle powerups.

Lives: We have a life system where if you die three times you have to wait a few minutes for a life to refill. Its sort of like Candy Crush, but our game is a lot less random.

Health: If you die in a level you can refill half your health for some coins. I guess you could consider this 'pay to win' but it will hurt your score and its really more for players who might get stuck on a challenging level.

Shuffle Powerups: So we just added this one and I want to know if players like them. We give you a 'shuffle' powerup that allows you to 're-deal' the 8 letter tiles. You have a limited number of shuffles and can spend coins to buy more.

So yeah, we for sure have some free-to-play stuff in there. But you can 100% ignore them if you want. The ads are optional, the powerups are not needed to beat any levels, and you can be patient and wait for more lives. Oh and I forgot to mention you can buy a couple different types of erasers, each with slightly different stats. Again this is an optional thing.

What do you all think? Do any of these kind of systems annoy you a lot? I always found the lives-type system to be way more fun then the energy kind. They're more like old arcade games.