Casual Games with RPG elements?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by William, Jan 16, 2010.

1. William

William Active Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Student
    Australia
    I love those short sized, casual games that have RPG elements such as upgrading weapons or your character: Knights Onrush, Hook Champ, Chrome Wars Arena, Shopping Cart Hero, etc.

It'd be great if you guys could suggest some iPhone games that you enjoy that fit this criteria.

2. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    sword and poker. my fav game ever

3. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Puzzle Quest (if you take it in small doses)
    Sword & Poker
    Heavy Mach 1 & 2
    A Doodle Fly
    There's a lot more, but I can't think of them right now.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    - Rebirth of Fortune (similar to Final Fantasy Tactics but without all the story and chatting)

- Resident Evil 4 (weapon upgrade)

- Homerun Battle (until you accidentally delete your game, lose all your hard-earned gears, but are stuck with the big boys in online mode because your rank is already high – then delete the game once and for all)

- How about Tower Defense and Castle Defense games? Like Fieldrunners, The Creeps, Defender Chronicles, Castle Frenzy, etc.

- Castlevania (nevermind)

5. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Baseball Superstars 09 and 10

6. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Was going to suggest Castle Frenzy since you like Knights Onrush but Don_K beat me to it!

7. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    Cartoon Wars and Cartoon Wars Gunner are two of my favorites. Also I heard the Horrible Vikings is fun too.

8. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    OMG! Pirates! is a good example, I think.

9. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    idts

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

alive4ever

11. ckhapa

ckhapa Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Love this style of game too.

I dig it and I dig it Expeditions both have upgrades

Isotope is twin stick shooter with experience points and currency for upgrades

Glyder 2 has costume upgrades and wing upgrades to find.

12. William

William Active Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Student
    Australia
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try and go through this list.

I'm playing Sword & Poker at the moment, I heard a lot of great things about it previously but the screenshots never really appealed to me (even though I enjoy myself some RPG and poker). It's a very interesting game, never would I had imagined poker would work as a battle system for an RPG.

Out of the ones listed so far, I already have Puzzle Quest (on Xbox 360), Homerun Battle, Fieldrunners, Defender Chronicles and Cartoon Wars so these are the ones I'll be missing out on.

After I get tired of Sword & Poker, I'll pick up another one from these suggestions.

Keep 'em coming if you can!

13. William

William Active Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Student
    Australia
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I Dig It as another favourite of mine. Is Expeditions worth getting? It looks pretty much the same as the first but different scenery.

14. Sukal

Sukal Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Does rebirth of Fortune have upgradeable stats, skills, equipments and etc?

15. ckhapa

ckhapa Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Expeditions is worth getting. Same upgrade system but the levels require much much more strategy.

Cool things like underwater levels and double the amount of usable items which creates more strategy too.

16. efirmage

efirmage Active Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Hook Champ

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    It does have upgradeable stats and skills, and you can unlock more characters, each with its own attributes, specialities, etc. But not equipments.

It's quite basic, so it doesn't have a deep skill tree or equipment customisation like Inotia 2. But for 1/8th the price, I think it's a great Final Fantasy Tactics clone.

And re story, almost all asian RPGs on AppStore so far (Zenonia, Inotia, Seed) have crappy generic story anyway, so the lack of story is perfectly fine for me.

If you feel upgrading the game by paying DLCs equal to upgrading one's stats by killing monsters, then yes, Hook Champ is in.