Animated app icons! Could the human brain handle it?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

So you open up your iPhone 4 with retina display and all the icons start to dance around, show off game play and developers are using tweezers to pack in subliminal messages encouraging you to buy more of their apps.

What would really happen if the icons came too life overnight. Could it possibly work? Could a normal user handle this multitude of movement ?

Has anyone tried submitting an animated icon. ( Is it allowed in the rules and regs? )

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it'd just show the first frame :)

I wouldn't mind the idea provided it was an option, perhaps even a toggle for each individual app. 16-20 icons jumping about and flashing at me could get seriously annoying.

3. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Sounds like something that'd kill the memory on my iPad even more.

4. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Frankly, I think it would be a nightmare. I believe it's a lot easier to find what you're looking for represented with one single, clearly designed image. I believe animated icons would just be complete visual overload.

Sort of how earlie web-sites used to have loads of animating gifs.

5. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

I thought it would be cool if your app could change the icon according to what you are doing in it!Like calendar! Let's say you could show at what level the user is, or if it is lite you could show ads!:))

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    yeah! ads on icons.. great idea!.. dancing little animated ads.. thats what everyone needs..

more annoying visual garbage to throw at the user.. yeah!!!.. awesome idea.. brilliant guys!

you guys might actualy start to think about your ideas... if a user already has your app (lite or full) on his device what single reason do you have to annoy him with dancing icons..?!?!

i would love that apple enforces some of the suggestive points in their guidelines (which apparently no developer reads anymore, because its easier to just ask a random question on an internet forum) ... like they advice against using "lite" , "free" etc. in the icons.. and thats because of a simple reason.. it look ugly.. a dashboard full of lite apps can look like a cheap advertising screen..

its still baffling how many don't understand the simplest design guides apple is following (and wants that devs follow too) , to create a coherent user experience.

7. Razoric

Razoric Well-Known Member

animated icons would be horrible. imagine every developer trying to one-up the last with even more flashy, crazy icons. :X

8. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    icons are too small for showing off any gameplay... at the most they will fight for attention like some favicon do. But if it's not allowed as now, it's still fair for everybody.

9. boatski

boatski Member

Feb 7, 2009
    12 apps with animated icons on one page would turn into 12 deleted apps within seconds.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Windows Phone 7 does something vaguely similar to this in that the app itself can change the icons around to display various things. It's actually really cool, would love to see it come to iOS along with a few other great Windows Phone 7 features.

11. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Self-moving icons is not the best idea in the world. Apart from being highly annoying, and other apps "fighting" for location...Apple won't even allow alpha in an icon.

As for ads on desktop, are you serious? I guess not, surely.

12. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I wouldn't like to see animated icons, but it would be nice if they could update to reflect notifications, Game Center status, etc.

13. Syndicated Puzzles

#13 Syndicated Puzzles, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    My company iLifetouch developed two apps showing animated current weather and current time instead of the dock icon with our two recently submitted apps called "Live Dock Weather" and "Dock Clock" we have been rejected by apple so many times that I am almost certain this will also end not being approved. We redesigned and really improved the Dock with our app called Dock Lock and encountered a huge stamp of disapproval. Hopefully a company that is thriving using creativity will allow developers to push the limits as well. This is really needed to bring app development to the next level. We are bouncing of the ceiling inside this manmade box apple has given us. Time to open the lid and let the sunshine in.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Man, I'm so glad you're still here being an ass to people.

15. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

there are simple rules, you can read on them. thats not so hard..

playing by the rules does not limit your abilities.. a good designer will work with thoose rules to get the best result possible, not run blindly against a wall again and again.

from what i've saw of ilifetouch its a generic biz selling the same stuff over and over in different flavours.. one clock app another one.. and another one.. ohh wait all have the same gfx ressources.. oh a clock app.. ohh another clock app this time with weather.. oh wait.. this looks exactly like the other one.. wait a second..

yeah innovative stuff! how weird that all this innovative cloning is done in cheap labour india, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.. high quality stuff rejected by apple but not following a few simple designe rules for OSX apps.. what a cruel world we live in, bad apple, bad apple.

16. Syndicated Puzzles

Ach du meine Guete! We are doing some amazing stuff. We are recycling portions of apps to make money. Yes. We are also working hard on pushing the envelope on many ideas.
    Our last two apps Time Bomb and Finger Alarm are extremely cool apps and work really well. So no idea how you could not see an innovative process.

Anger = energy mr. Ugly we are building and releasing 3 apps a week what are you doing?

17. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Wow i have never seen such rivarly between developers. I think its really mean and insulting to pick on other developers ideas and their apps. Just because they dont have top 25 status doesnt mean you cant enjoy them for being good apps. Also i dont see you doing anything innovative making a remake of the game where you press the colors after the machine makes the pattern(sorry dont know what its called) Even if you didnt like the apps at all doesnt give you a right to just openly slam another developer!

18. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #18 mr.Ugly, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
    well i'm not a rivarly developer in this case.. but a scammed customer of one of his apps.. thank you.. one of their "products" still doesn not work for me and for others too, for whatever reason..

and yes i have all rights to openly show my disrespect to the work ethics of others.. especialy if its based on my money spend.. thank you.

what is this kindergarden? i can't write of things i dislike if i see them?
    i'm not repeatingly coming here to moan about the next rejection, next rejection and bad bad apple.. when developer x can't even read the simple documents..

and yes reusing art assets and code extensivly through "different" apps and meaning that they are anything special.. is for me, personaly, not good work ethics.. its like making the 10th image slider with a different image.. and calling it innovation..

thats just my humble opinion.. yours can differ..thats great.. what would happen if everybody would have the same pov.. a grey pointless world :D

19. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Ok you do bring up a good point but you really didnt need to mock them about their uninnovative apps. Also he wasnt complaining he was contributing to the discussion.

20. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #20 mr.Ugly, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

the discussion was about animated app icons on the iphone and extended to another "we got rejected by apple, we pour hard working souls, come cry with us" stories..

if you sell your apps as the next big thing, so great is changes the way people blablabla.. and you devliver crap, yes then people are entitled to voice their opinion..

you don't need to like the little simon clone i did with a friend in our spare time to touch the ios waters 2 years ago.. this is a private and i surely never stated anywhere that this is great innovation in its purest form.. its not faar from it.. like a million miles.. so what?!.. one thing has nothing todo with the other..