Your opinion about game icon

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by SharkR, Oct 28, 2014.

1. SharkR

SharkR Member

Oct 28, 2014
    #1 SharkR, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Hello everyone!

My name is Antony and I'm game developer :)

I really need your opinion about our game icon.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

Would you be so kind to answer this questions:

1. Do you like it? Would you check an app with that icon?
    2.What tells you the icon? What kind of game is it?
    3. What would you change?

Thank you people :)

2. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
    your icon

some kind of war/strategy game.

i would try a different background, maybe just one flat grey ... to focus on the characters

all in all, looks good.

3. SharkR

SharkR Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Thank you for the feedback! It's really helpful and important for us!

4. maggiesgames

maggiesgames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    #4 maggiesgames, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    1. Probably not. While it's not _bad_ I dont think it stands out, its very grey and not very eye catching.

2. Medieval/Fantasy game of some type. One faction vs another faction. No idea if it's a shooter, platformer, strategy, RPG or something else though. I'd guess RTS or RPG.

3. I'd try to make it stand out more. I would probably also make it less detailed, this one will probably not look that great on low res devices. But maybe you're targeting tablets, then its probably okay. Perhaps focus on a really cool knight's helmet only and add some more color? Or make it more shiny... something that makes it eye catching when you look at 10+ icons at the same time. Or, if you wanna stick to the "X versus Y" kind of approach like you have now, perhaps you can make it more clear that these two people are on opposite sides of some type of conflict? Right now they look very similar so if they were not facing each other I'd think they're on the same side. Maybe color could be used for that? You could also consider adding color to the background, perhaps wood? That would probably make the characters stand out a little better.

Sorry to sound to hard, it's really not that bad at all, as I make it sound, but you wanted feedback so you got my thoughts here.:)

5. SharkR

SharkR Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Thank you! And it doesn't sounds hard at all :) We need that kind of feedback to create really cool icon finally :)

6. Strange Famous

Strange Famous Active Member

Oct 30, 2014
    I think the icon looks great! Only thing I would change is to blur the background slightly... more bokeh!

7. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    I agree along the lines of most comments. If I could just answer question 3; I would zoom in to the middle half-size, aim for more eye contact, and perhaps a torch on the wall. My first thoughts were put a sword or two in there, but that might clutter. What I did was form a 'director' style square with fingers & thumb, then scan for the first suggestion, it seemed to pop then.

8. SharkR

SharkR Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Thank you!!! We'll try to make changes in background!

9. SharkR

SharkR Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback! I think that zoom in and aim for eye contact is good idea! We'll try it! A torch is also great :)

10. markofjohnson

markofjohnson Active Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Game Developer
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    size

To evaluate an icon, take a screenshot of an app store search using a search term you want for your game. Replace the icon in the middle of the list with your icon. Unless you are using a retina mac, view this screenshot at 50%, or just send it back and view it on your iPhone. Now you are evaluating your icon in the correct context. How does it look now?

My point is that the original icon you posted for people to judge was too large. As someone is glancing in the app store they will see your icon in a small size for a fraction of a second. Small details will be lost.

11. SharkR

SharkR Member

Oct 28, 2014
    Thank you for the feedback!