Biggest turn offs in game titles

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mr_bez, Nov 25, 2015.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I was just inspired to open this thread when I spotted the new Tappy Golf thread in the main forum (sorry David Horn!).

What words in a game title will instantly put you off a game, even before you've seen a screenshot, app icon or description? For me, there's at least the following:

Tappy
    Flappy
    Zombie
    Match
    Defense (Yep, sorry Shovelware Games, I just don't get on with tower or lane defence games, or American spellings!)
    Friends (social integration alert)
    Game (really shouldn't need to put this in the title)
    Endless (partly endless runner fatugue, partly a dislike of overly descriptive titles)

I'm not saying there aren't good games with these words in the title, but they definitely all sound a warning in my brain when I see them.

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #2 coolpepper43, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Free
    PvP, usually means some fort of free to play game.

Even though there are some good games with these in the title, it's still a turnoff: Block, Square, Ball.

3. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Free - since it means iap filled

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think we already have a thread like this. I remember my reply being along the lines of "titles with more than 4 words..." Something like that.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah, but then when i see free now, the first thing that comes to mind is to check what the gameplay is. Chances are, if it's a twitchy-type game, or a quick fix one, it may just be ads, in which case i'd look for an ad remover or something.

6. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Yes, I really love some of those twitchy games. A lot of them have an ad remover as the only iap which makes it a premium game.

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    There might be another thread, I find it hard to search for general discussion topics.

I'd also add Episode to my list, as I'm too impatient to wait for new episodes which may never come.

Pixel tends to instantly get my attention though.

8. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    The sad thing is devs need to sneak as many keywords into their titles as possible since they rank higher than regular keywords and drive downloads. Apple needs to set a character limit on titles at like 20? So you don't have titles that are like:

flappy best free game ever threes endless runner : the angry bird best free game

9. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    some people might find it's annoying while we used too many common words for the title. However, like touchmint said, as the dev we really need to put as many keywords as we can for the search term. Those words that sounds annoying in fact, bring more visibility while user is looking for an app on the app store.
    With those common words, we wish if some user might intrigued by our apps accidentally through the searching and give a try for it.
    If the game is big enough, said like an adventure game, platformer game, sure it's pretty much easier to choose the best title, no need to include those keywords on the title.
    However, if the game is pretty small and it comes from unknown dev who doesn't have any experience to promote their game properly. Use this kind of term will the only option.
    More info can be search https://searchman.com/
    Sorry for my English

10. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    "Free" hands down

11. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    For me it's online requirement for a single player experience.
    Dead effect 2

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Since you're a developer yourself you might be able to answer my following question.
    Arent there any tags you can include and which are invisible to end users?
    I mean, if I type something like "dungeon crawler" into the searchbar, it comes up with dungeon crawlers as results.
    Same for "mmorpg" or "FPS". How is this defined?

13. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    "3D.". It's like advertising The Walking Dead or something by emphasising that it's '...a state of the art production with both colour AND sound.'