I would like some user information regarding iPad and gaming.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by pahncrd, Apr 6, 2010.

1. pahncrd

pahncrd Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    #1 pahncrd, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    The more I think about iPad, the more it seems to completely miss the point. Now, it could be that I am honestly not "getting it", so I was hoping iPad owners could fill me in on their usage habits.

Basically, I love my iPhone because it is a prime gaming handheld, smartphone, ipod and internet device rolled into one. It is the definitive portable device and makes it so that I only have to ever have one device on my at any one time. I always have it on me and so it is always available if I need it, whether to check traffic or to play a quick level of Sentinel 2 while hanging out in line at the post office. It is small and pocketable, but with a screen that is a joy to use (for anyone that has used older PDA devices, you know what I mean).

Now, the iPad seems to completely miss the point of what it is to be a portable device. It is much too large to be pocketable and requires that I carry two devices at all times (one of which is huge in comparison). So I basically need to plan on having time to game or surf the web, in which case I might have a better experience if I just used an actual full featured tablet pc or laptop as there are thousands of free, and entertaining flash games to play if I am already going to be carrying an extra (large) device.

I see no place whatsoever for the iPad in my life, and it would do nothing but fight for the leisure time I otherwise spend on my desktop or laptop at home. Not only that, even if I did leave the house with an iPad in tow, I would be reluctant to whip that thing out while standing in line or waiting for a bus since it is so utterly conspicuous and basically begs people to look over your shoulder.

So, I don't know.... what is the point of the iPad? Where could I fit it into my life? Now, I don't expect you to answer that part, but I would love to hear very detailed usage behaviors for people that use the iPad extensively. So please let me know what justifies the existence of a second and large device on my person when I leave the house.

In any case, I didn't want this to be too provocative, I am honestly curious, so please weigh in on the subject. :)

2. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    Thanks for moving my post, sorry about putting it in the wrong section, I wasn't paying attention. :eek:

3. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    I would also like to know what sort of methods people use to carry the device around. :)

4. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    Hmm, maybe others aren't sure either where the iPad fits. :p

5. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Quadruple post! Never seen that one before, bravo :rolleyes:

6. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    :eek::eek:

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Trust me, that's notoriety you don't want. :rolleyes:

8. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    I was going to give a real response...but I figure...what's the point

9. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    What's with all of the bitterness? :( I'm honestly interested in answers to the questions I posted in the original post. I'm going to buy one if I can find a place to fit it into my life. That is why I want first hand knowledge from other users in response to my specific questions.

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    In a bag.

11. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    What sort of bag? Do you carry the bag with you everywhere? Would you take this bag to the post office, to work or on the bus? If you are already carrying a bag, why not get a more capable tablet or laptop? What is the reasoning around your purchase of the iPad? How does it fit into your life?

12. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Lol too true :p

13. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Is this a really sad attempt at a joke?

14. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    Is what a sad attempt at a joke?

You guys aren't making any sense in the least.

15. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    This thread doesn't seem serious.....

16. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    #16 pahncrd, Apr 6, 2010
    It is, I'm trying to justify purchasing an iPad to myself and to my wife. So I wanted information on how people use it including the specific questions I asked in the first post. By figuring out how it fits into the lives of others, I hope to decide once and for all whether an iPad is a device that I would find useful and relevant in my life. I didn't realize the subject was so sensitive, but if anyone has some actual answers to my questions, I would be much obliged.

17. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    The guys who started the thread is serious.

Derek420 is being a jerk AGAIN

and Big Albie controls all authority over this site so I cannot say anything bad about him.

18. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #18 Big Albie, Apr 6, 2010
    I think the sensitivity isn't with you on a personal level, at least I hope not. Some of the animosity is because of the seemingly numerous threads that have appeared on this very topic.

On that note, here's a thread that may be useful for you...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=51031

Thanks for that almost sincere ringing endorsement :rolleyes:

19. pahncrd

Dec 19, 2008
    #19 pahncrd, Apr 6, 2010
    Alright thanks, I'll check it out.

If anyone cares to further elaborate to answer my questions, I would much appreciate it.

EDIT: Not a whole lot that was particularly helpful. Mostly just some people saying it sucks and the others saying it doesn't, but without much in the way of how people use it in conjunction with their iPhones or how it actually fits into their lives.

20. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I'm sorry, please don't hurt me. I love your shoes, they match your handsome and muscular body, please don't hurt me. :(