Forgotten Memories - A psychological survival horror

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by kugi_igi, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatoforever

tatoforever Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Lead/Game Programmer
    Montréal
    Totally Agreed,
    We have plans to "not charge" any minor content/update. We won't sell any parts of the game, it's all bundled with even extra unlockable content when you finish the game from day one.
    We want our players to be satisfied and we would do whatever it takes to make their gaming experience fully enjoyable. :)
    Cheers,

2. Shirflex

Shirflex Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Finally someone who thinks right... i'm sick of those iaps.. After you pay for the game sometimes it turns imposible to continue it without credits or sth like that and you must pay for making the game more playable.. Let the game for free in the app store if you want to put iaps on it....

3. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    As a person that really enjoys playing games on iOS. It's great that you're thinking this way. One of the best games, imo, The Dark Meadow was ruined by iAP's.

4. Idgeian

Idgeian Active Member

Nov 26, 2012
    I wonder if it will work with icade

5. Aeon

Aeon Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2012
    well tato its saturday where's the video??

6. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Was saturday.

7. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    Depression is setting in ........

8. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Hahaha, man. If you want a good laugh at Touch Arcade, read through the first 20 pages of this thread over again. It's hilarious... all the promises that went unmet, all the disappointments that the game was going to be 3GS only, then "optimized for iPhone 4", etc. etc.

The giggle factor dies out around the 30 page mark, as everything starts to repeat, but it seriously baffles me that this game is being taken seriously in any capacity anymore. It could legitimately be a drinking game: take a shot every time tato says "soon", promises something and it never happens, or the release date of the beta (let alone the full game) changes.

Is it pathetic that I read through over half the thread just now? Yes, indeed. I can attest to that. But it's just comical. The only scary thing about this game, is the fear that it's never going to come out. Frankly, even that fear is dying down. I just don't care about this game anymore. Would this have released when it was first promised, it could have been a real benchmark on the App Store. But the constant delays, empty promises, screenshots that honestly don't seem to showcase anything new (except the seemingly endless sluttiness of the main character; though that may have been toned down since) force this game to have a foregone destiny. It will either come out and take advantage of the newest hardware, but still suck. Or it will come out, showcase its heritage and be automatically completely obsolete, and suck. Either way, I can guarantee this game, no matter how much work goes into it and how many times it is delayed, will suck.

I can't be the only person that sees this farce for what it really is, can I? Tato constantly promises stuff, and rarely comes through with said promises. He is drumming up endless publicity and hype for this game, but it's never going to be a success at this rate. One delay is fine. Two delays... okay, you're pushing it. But in this age of the App Store, the amount of delays this game has seen, for reworkings/AI refinements/Graphical enhancements/etc. etc., demonstrates that this game will fail. Good job, Tato, on trying to make this game, but it's apparent to me that this will never come to fruition. Hand it off to a more capable developer, that will actually follow through with their promises of release dates. Or at the very least, a developer that knows that even if they release it today, a new technological advancement benchmark will appear in the App Store tomorrow, but that won't stop them from releasing their final product.

There's not much more that can be said. I'm not usually this disrespectful to developers. But this is a very unique case of me feeling like a disgruntled consumer, due to being whipped around by my chain, endlessly, with no foreseeable conclusion in sight. I will echo what I said before: This will be the next Duke Nukem Forever. It will continue to be delayed, rebuilt, broken, rebuilt, refined, finished, canceled, rebuilt... until it is finally released, 15 years later, to the unfortunate mountain of disappointment that crushes it before it even goes out the door. The hype train can only be ridden for so long before consumers become tired and bored, and move on to more promising ventures. The hype train for this game, intentional or not, showcases that this developer has no idea what the hell they are doing. Maybe they're scared that they've built up too much hype, and they are perfecting the game right down to the last pixel. We can hope. But what I think this is, is a disappointing demonstration of a developer biting off more than they can chew.

Spring 2013 is the release date now? Yeah right. You know when I think it will release, for real? When Apple has a year that they take a break from releasing a new iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch. Maybe then, this developer will think of their release window as a proper time to unleash their game, as the fear of becoming obsolete will be less stinging.

But even then, I'm sure tatoforever will find a way to weasel just one more delay in there, then disappear from Touch Arcade completely. I'm more than a little suspicious that this developer's intentions are in the right place, actually. Requesting PayPal accounts for verification for the beta test struck me as extremely odd and risky on the part of the beta testers... however I will admit I'm not too aware of the beta testing process, so perhaps PayPal identification is a commonplace tool.

I said that I said everything that needed to be said, but I have another worry I'd like to share: the App Store policies get stricter and stricter every day. New risks arise, new rules are developed. The App Shopper app got removed for hell's sake! So that's another point of worry regarding this game's release on the App Store. Censorship options or not, cheat menu or otherwise, Apple will probably decline to add this game to the App Store. They're becoming increasingly fascistic as the days go by, and I just have this feeling deep down that they are going to reject this game for one reason or another, when the time comes for it to finally release. And then guess what will happen? Either us Touch Arcaders will be left in the dust with vaporware that we've been waiting years for, or tatoforever will announce that they'll be reworking the game to be more in-line with Apple's strict guidance policies. And guess what that means? Another ****ing delay.

It's a vicious cycle, truly. And it's never going to end on a positive note. This game was doomed from the start. And I will never consider supporting this developer if the game finally releases, because that will just reinforce the idea that their work deserves compensation; considering the whiplash they have enjoyed putting us all through since the beginning, as well as their most notable foray into the App Store being an absolute failure (Dead Strike), I just... can't support that. I can't support you, tatoforever.

Good day.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #2409 squarezero, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    You would have a point, if tato had not been releasing a steady stream of screenshots, video, and other material. Keep in mind, too, that May 2013 (not Spring, as you write) is the first specific release date the game has ever had. If May comes and goes without the game hitting the App Store, then we know clearly where we stand.

As far as the video is concerned, I've already said that it wasn't a good idea for tato to promise "before the end of the year" before making damn sure that they could deliver it before Dec 31 -- mainly because it encourages the cynics.

At this point, as long as his investors follow through, I expect to be playing this game this May.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If I recall correctly, wasn't there a beta of some sorts that Tato allowed a TA member to play. Year or two ago?

11. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I think he said May 2013 not March

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You are absolutely right -- I'll fix my post.

13. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012

Don't want to get peoples hopes up to soon :)

14. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #2414 Rip73, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
    I agree with you fully on that one.

I have a question about the post you're replying to though and you might know the answer better.
    Dead Strike gets mentioned as a "notable failure" from the developer. (As to whether it is a notable failure, I don't know if it is or not.)
    But is Dead Strike one of their games? Or by a previous team member? Or have any link to them at all?
    Something about it rings a memory bell with me but not sure.

15. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Agreed..

I don't ever really care if there's stuff released about the game if I know im getting it so I don't really care, but if he doesn't release when he says, I'll be annoyed.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Still, that video would be appreciated.

17. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Yes.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Agreed.

19. Shirflex

Shirflex Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    I think we dont want to wait more than two more weeks to see that video......

20. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    This may be a good game or it may not. I never heard of dead strike but it wasn't well liked but even though the thread is turning Into minigore zombies before release at least the dev is on here alot. Also though false promises are getting annoying.