Arcane Legends (By Spacetime Studios)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by skeletonlord, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    The newest addition to Spacetime Studios' mobile and desktop Legends franchise will deliver intense cross-platform, multiplayer combat with Arcane Legends. This new action RPG will be available for iOS, Android and Chrome in early fall 2012.

Players will choose from three classes: powerful Warriors, devious Rogues or mysterious Sorcerers; each with their own set of abilities. Party members will be able to combine their abilities to unlock explosive combos for devastating effects. As players level, they choose to specialize in certain skills, allowing them to further customize characters to suit their play style.

The core of Arcane Legends is the groundbreaking combat system that will deliver the most fast-paced, action-oriented co-op and player-vs-player gameplay of any Legends title. Players will decide whether to use multiple quick attacks or take the time to charge up and land more destructive strikes. Determining when to utilize a fully charged "rage meter" that unleashes special high-powered attacks unique to each class will also be critical to success.

"With every Legends title we are focused on bringing something distinct to cross-platform gaming. With Arcane Legends we set out to create an action RPG with a clever and funny story, meaningful multiplayer gameplay and above all furious fast-paced tactical combat," said Gary Gattis, CEO, Spacetime Studios.

The previous Legends titles, fantasy Pocket Legends, sci-fi Star Legends and horror Dark Legends have been downloaded more than eight million times, making it the world’s most downloaded mobile MMO series and the world’s largest cross-platform mobile/desktop MMO franchise.

Stay up to date with Arcane Legends news on the web at www.ArcaneLegendsGame.com and on Facebook.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Really liked Pocket Legends until they ruined it. Now all of their games are almost similiar - with a different theme. And thats not a good thing.

3. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    I played star legends to death, and still have dark legends on chrome, but what's the theme of this, it sounds the same as PL.

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Yes, it's the same theme - fantasy. Except here you play as a human and not an animal.

I think they run out of themes.

5. RobotUnicorn

RobotUnicorn Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    yeah excited about this one

6. snakespeare

snakespeare Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The biggest difference between Arcane Legends and its predecessor Pocket Legends is the pet system. Pets fight for you, fetch loot that drops, and give you a buff. As they adventure with you, they level, too, so their attacks are stronger. They need to be fed and at first that can be pretty spendy, but after the first few days of play you can use daily rewards to earn enough to keep your pet fed. But if not, they can be dismissed to a stable where they get fed, but it takes time. It's a gold sink. If you've played other STS games you know that after a while there is more gold than anything else, so the players trade gear for outlandish prices. Pets can give the players a better thing to do with their gold.

Arcane Legends has allies like Dark Legends, but they are NPCs in towns who perform tasks over time. At present the timer is only a 24 hour clock, no 2 hour missions, and no 30 second missions like in Dark Legends. These allies only get you money at the moment.

Potions are another gold sink. The price point is relative to that used in Star Legends when it was launched. In Star Legends the players got around this by remaking one toon and leveling it to 5 to use the stash to store the starting potions. Five such remakes would generate enough potions to equal a "premium charcter", a special in-game purchase that gave starting players a better chance to succeed. Arcane Legends again offers this feature, but only provides starter gear. Additional starting gear purchases can be bought from the store. The gear is called Founder's gear, a nod to the predecessor Pocket Legends in which the Founder's Helm is highly prized.

Characters can be male warriors, female rogues, or strange little blue mages. Each character has eight skills, four can be shown on screen at a time. Each of the eight skills has five levels, and the at each level increase, a different aspect of the skill is enhanced. The Skyward Smash for instance, is AL's version of the PL Stomp skill for warriors. At second level it increases area of effect, at third damage, and so on. Mages have a healing skill to assist the party that even heals mana loss. Rogue skills are also similar to Some PL archer skills. Rogues have fewer AoE but more ranged attacks.

Like other games from STS, most interaction happens in towns and most combat occurs in instanced dungeons. It isn't an open world of respawning critters. The mobs in the instanced dungeons do not respawn. To fight more, you remake the instance.

There are 15 levels at this time, and the game is released in a limited edition on Google Play in Australia and Canada for Android. The client was submitted to Apple a few weeks ago, according to the moderator at their official messageboard. We asked point blank and he said yes it was already sent to Apple. STS games can be played in iOS, Android, Chrome, and Flash versions, all using the same servers.

At the moment, however, this game can only be played on Android devices, and the apk can only be downloaded in the Australian and Canadian regions. This is the load testing phase. I asked, when DL was put out in a similar release, why they would limit it to such a small sample of players, and was surprised when the CEO answered to explain that they were doing like a stress test of the servers. I don't know the details of that, but it does make sense that they would pick Australia and Canada, as those two english speaking countries have players who log in at different times of the day.

The first bad guys are goblins, and theynaren't too difficult, but the bosses can be a pain. Also, the bosses aren't at the end of the zones, but in the middle or between the middle and the end, so I expect to see players quitting instances halfway because they are only grinding mobs.

It is, in the end, a game from STS and grinding is the order of the day. They only had one game without requiring the grind so far but the player base seemed to protest to the energy mechanic and allies system. So there is no energy system and the grind is back, but now we have pets that advance with us. On a side note, the pets size doesn't change as they mature, so the wolf cub will always be that cute little guy from the teaser trailer. But who knows? Maybe that will change.

Overall, I loved the game. I liked having epic drops at low level. I liked my pet friends, especially Ribbit my frog. And I loved the funny blue mage being. I am hoping for some back story on the mage's species.

One downside so far, the mage doesn't "rev" so if you die, you can respawn at the start and walk back (I have missed a few boss drops doing this), or spend in-game currency to be revived on the spot, which I did a few times. It cost 1 plat, and 50 plat cost 5 dollars, so basically, a dime.

7. Appleisaac

Appleisaac Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Janitor/Student
    Up in Here
    Look at that. Skeleton and snake! Dang, makes me miss the PL forums.

8. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    i remember skeleton, makes me miss the SL forums

9. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Yeah me too. Think I might actually jump back in for this one. I wonder how many old timers are still playing their games. It's been a couple years now for me I think.

10. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Laquint said he'll come back. [evil_laugh]Bwahahaha[/evil_laugh]

11. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Apple! Nice to see ya again!

12. Appleisaac

Appleisaac Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Janitor/Student
    Up in Here
    I might come back for AL :), at least temporarily.

13. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Same here.

PL was awesome at the time but subsequent games just look like clones of that.

14. snakespeare

snakespeare Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Each one is a little different. But they all are based on instanced zones. There were rumors this new one would be open world, but that didn't happen.

It's great to "see" you guys here. Believe it or not, lots of oldies are still around. Ranged changed his name to Apollo, and surprised everyone a few days ago with a farewell post.

Hope to run into you in game when AL comes out. :)

Snakes

15. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    I downloaded Arcane Legends on my Android phone yesterday but am disappointed with their IAP system. $9.99 gets you only 75 platinum? I can get 1050 premium currency for $9.99 in Elgard MMORPG, or maybe, there's something I'm missing?

The pets are adorable and glad to know they grow stronger as you level. Too bad they don't grow in size too.

I'm hoping this comes out within 2 weeks, so I can try this on my iPad 4 instead of my phone which only has a 4.3' screen.

Anyone else try AL?

16. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Any pictures or videos?

17. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Its already out on android and chrome, idk when they are releasing ios version though.

18. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Video looks cool so what's the pricing for the droid?

19. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It's a free app. You can already play the game on the desktop (if you dot have an android) as a flash version on: http://account.spacetimestudios.com/arcanelegends/

The game is just another typical re-skinned Spacetime-studios game. I wish they would be sticking more with the Pocket legends template than the dark legends template though. The supposed breakthrough in this game are pets, but not really... It's just another 3D model running besides you, attacks and you must spend gold to feed him. It's just an additional platinum drain for players.

20. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Oh these guys...ill pass I don't wanna get drained in another mmo