I emailed Rockstar about the no Ped voice Overs and...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Miffy, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Miffy

Miffy Member

Jan 14, 2010
    They replied saying it is due to a technical limitation of the platform. Now I'm wondering that surely the Iphone has better hardware in it that the DS and PSP. So is it something to do with Apples shitty software and them restricting everything?

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Ya, I got the same response :)

3. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    maybe they just dont want to :p

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    #4 squarezero, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    It's probably less to do with "shitty software" than backwards compatibility. Remember that the game has to work with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation hardware. In my view, the original iPhone/1st gen iPod Touch were not really designed for gaming.

EDIT: I realize that the GTA:CW is not compatible with 1st Gen Touches; the specs of the original iPhone 3G are not that different, though.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    maybe the sound card isn't capable of playing a certain # of sounds at a time and with this feature turned on it met that limit.

6. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    lol thats what i'm thinking. but its no big deal, the game is awesome.

7. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    ahaha its costs money. and why would you update your game that nearly everyoone has to make people happier? its not like if they release a new gta game without sounds people wont buyt it.

8. TheCherub

TheCherub Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    That is a load of nonsense. If they can make the cops say "get out the car now" they can make pedestrians speak. Its not the question of idevice limitations but the "can be bothered - ness" of Rockstar games.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    A DS cart holds like what, 1.5 gb? So maybe that was their original limitation for the DS, using that limitation they probably came up with a package close to that size ( RS likes to pack as much as they can into one unit ). So maybe it has nothing to do with the ability to play the sounds, but the fact that including everything that was in the console versions would make it double the size.

10. YeahMePete

YeahMePete Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Sry 4 any typos... On my pod... Meant to say something earlier. I don't work there but...
    Nothing can be done about it is a pretty strong statement. I'd have to guess tho that it's 100% about performance. Uncompressed audio is pretty CPU intensive and iPs can only run one compressed file at a time. Again, I'm just guessing but with all they have going on, it's probably one of those compromises you gotta make to keep the overall game running well. Could be money tho :D but I'm guessin probably not...

11. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I'd buy it if it was cheaper :D

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That sounds like a total bull theory to me. They spent a great deal of time, energy and money porting the game over to the iPhone, do you think they'd get to the voices (which have already been recorded anyway) and suddenly go "nah, too tired now"?

13. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    that made me laugh. considering they had to snoop for the cops voice.. yeah its probably over all performance of the game.. the game runs so smooth..

compromises were made.. im happy with what they gave us.. could be worse and no gta.. pouts at the thought.

chris.

14. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Sounds like total bullshit to me, the ipod touch 3g is more powerful than either the psp or the ds and the compressed iso of the psp version is almost the same size as the one for the ipod. I have no clue as to why they wouldn't add it, but I think it has something to do with porting, not with hardware. I mean the ipod version is almost identical to the psp version (which I beat 100%), and heck, it had a typo referring to the psp buttons in the tutorial. So to say hardware was the problem is bullshit, it's because they didn't want to spend the time or money building the game for the ipod so they ported it over as fast as they could. They're milking the money out of Chinatown wars, why else would they have released it for every portable system available?

15. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    I honestly don't think it's BS, like Midian said, they did a wonderful job of porting this to the iPhone. Why get lazy over this one thing, when everything else shows so much polish?

I wouldn't say they're milking GTA CTW. The reason they're releasing it on the DS, PSP, and iPhone is probably because it sold so poorly on the DS. Plus it didn't do any better on the PSP.

16. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    That's called milking... besides, the only reason I do think it's bullshit is because of how similar it is the the psp version. It's like they toned down the graphics, changed all the tutorial texts, and added new controls. Poor or rushed porting can lead to alot of things not working, and I've seen a great amount of bugs in the ipod version. For example, tiny buttons in the drug trade menus (hardly even touchable), typos in the tutorials, poorly conceived boat controls (impossible to use power handling), missing burnout effects, and even a camera bug when you drive or walk past any police station before being busted at least one time. This to me means rushed porting and minimal funding (probably because of the pricing on the app store). Now maybe they'll fix these bugs, who knows. But I'd count missing voice-overs as just another bug from rushed porting. (And what publisher or developing team is going to admit that when asked?)

17. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    People calm down!!! It's not a big deal at all. It's still a great game.

18. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Ik, but im pissed at take two (publisher for gta) for canceling duke nukem forever ;)

19. S.I.D. CrAzY

May 16, 2009
    Porting a game to different platforms isn't what I call milking it's called porting, but whatever. Milking would be if they came out with GTA: CTW Gangsta Edition, GTA: CTW Night Life Edition...you get the idea. What Activision is doing to the Guitar Hero series is what I call milking.

I'm not pretending to know for sure that they aren't bs'ing, your guess is as good as mine. However, they COULD be telling the truth. Only they know for sure and maybe one day we'll know as well.

20. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Wow. The biggest DS game I have seen didn't go past 500mb, way off. Either way, I don't need the voices. It was a plus, but I don't have to have it.