Seen any misleading AppStore descriptions?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Red1, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #1 Red1, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Have you seen any misleading AppStore descriptions for games?

In the TA forums this week there's been criticism of one game for using a name similar to another popular release. And another game has a list of features which actually require additional In-App Purchases, which isn't mentioned in the App Store description.

Have you brought a game, then discovered it didn't match it's description?

What specific games have you had issues with?

2. Totenmaske

Totenmaske Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    3PL Terminal Manager
    Sahuarita, AZ
    #2 Totenmaske, Nov 1, 2011
    The App Store is unfortunately full of blatant rip offs...both in names, descriptions and content. Some times you have to be careful before you hit the purchase button when looking up an App that was referred by a friend to make sure it was the right one.

3. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    I've bought one or two before, but you can always get a quick refund from iTunes :D

4. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    A game's description said it was addictive. Turned out it was not. :(

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol, this.

6. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Apple gives refunds? how?

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Refunds? Never heard that Apple would give refunds :p

8. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah even Google has gotten tight on this, only giving people a 15min refund window!

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    All you do is email customer support..give them a reason, tell them which app, and more likely than not, they'll refund you. I've only done it twice since January 2009, both times being honest mistakes, not just because I found a game to be crappy, and they refunded me within a few days without any problems.

10. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks backtothis, good to know!

11. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ah lol? From my personal experience, I never have Apple refuse a refund (out of 20 by now).

Oh and my most recent one(s) are tied to misleading (or omitting) information in app description.

The first ones being Finger Shot RPG & Army Wars Defense 2 both by Magic Cube. They would impose time limits on crucial units that you use in combat, forcing you to wait or pay real cash. This feature was not mentioned in app description so yeah, I launched a refund notice and got both refunds back.

The other one is Dragonlair by PNJ. The game required constant internet connection and was not labelled in app description. Got a refund for that too (in the same email reply after receiving the refund notice for the previous two games :D).

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #12 backtothis, Nov 1, 2011
    What about the other 18 times? They weren't just games that you didn't like or games that went on sale a few days later right?

The one thing about Apple refunds is that you get to keep the app since it's already in your iTunes, although you don't get access to future updates. I always think there's people out there who try to take advantage of that, especially for more expensive titles.

13. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    That the description doesn't mention that IAP is required for some of the mentioned features is not uncommon I think. I remember Do Do Egg. And sort of Drawin' Growin' by Taito. "Growing plants if fun and easy!". No, it's not fun and easy at all, unless you keep buying consumable IAP, which is not mentioned anywhere in the app description.
    I really hate it when that happens.

And then of course there are the misleading names like all the guides for Tiny Wings, that happen to be universal, so that if you're on an iPad and have heard of the game, type it in the app store, that's what you see first. They always have very low ratings by people who expected the actual game, so I guess it works.

14. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ah no... firstly... I am yet to buy a game that I don't like; and secondly, buying games you don't like is a freaking stupid action that signifies lack of research and poor impulse management (critics and TOFTT-ers are exempt and honorable in this instance).

The games would always have some significant flaw which gives me a strong bargaining position to receive a refund, such as a technical flaw and unreachable developer or some serious moral/ethic breach introduced (update, see Warp Dash) or hidden withing the game.

I the only instance of a sale shortly after purchase is Riptide, which I actually enjoy and have quibble paying 5 dollars for (although the sale does revoke some regret).

This post is largely off-topic, I know...

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Fair enough.

Lol, what happened with Warp Dash?

16. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I have played many games (which I shouldnt mention) that are misleading. I got a refund from apple by sending them an email with the order code. You have to tell them exactly why you want a refund, or else they won't give you one.
    I've had heaps of refunds, mostly games that always crash, even if I did reset my iPad.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It is very sly what some bad devs do on the app store but often if you read the description you'll realise you're not getting 50 MAME games for 99c , its actually 50 screenshots of the games.

Some of the points raised above, i can totally see why people got their money back (The game didnt mention it needed online access etc) but other times people do seem to just click buy without reading what they're actually getting.

18. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Thanks for letting me know about the refunds, though honestly I got no games I want refund from right now.

19. Red1

Red1 Moderator

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Did that actually happen? Or are you just giving an example scenario?

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    saw this the other day: Zenonia4 Style Online MORPG, Elgard(Bicore)

I'm okay with piggybacking onto another game, but they use a game that isn't even released yet, so it kind of piques your interest. Like it makes you double take and so then you go into the thread just to see what's going on.