World Without End by Steve Uy (Avengers Initiative, XMen)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by steveruy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. steveruy

steveruy Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Comic book guy/ game creator/director
    NY
    #1 steveruy, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    Hello, I am Steve Uy, comic book creator and artist of Feather (Image) and Jova's Harvest (Arcana Studios), and artist of Marvel and DC books such as Avengers Initiative, Uncanny X Men, Iceman, JSA Classified, Legion of Superheroes in the 31st Century, and so on.

I am currently developing a strategy RPG game for the ios and android platform, entitled World Without End. It is a one man operation, and wired has already posted the first article on it here:
    http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/07/mobile-indie-world-without-end/

I apologize if I put this in the wrong forum, I'm new to these boards and I'm trying to spread the word to give everyone a first look as fast as I can.

[​IMG]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792548261/world-without-end-srpg-for-ios-and-android-by-stev

Steve Uy
    http://steveuy.com/

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
  3. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    There is no experience in the game, so you cannot overlevel and break it. You earn battle points, and customize your characters with skills. The difficulty of the game will depend entirely on your strategy.

The most in depth look at the game for now can be found on my kickstarter page linked above.

As for the animations, I am doing this alone so there are limitations, I've reached my limit at about a thousand frames... but for the most part it should meet or exceed a $30 DS game. This game will go for $2.99.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow! (...because anything else I attempt to comment would just amount to embarassing rambling, giggles, and tears of glee).

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    WOW It certainly looks very good!!!
    After reading the wired article (strong storyline!!!) I'm already hyped.
    Is there any timeframe for the game beino competed?

6. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    This is my first game so I don't know how long it would take to finish, but I'm hoping by xmas. It's already being programmed, and 95% of the art is already done, so it only depends on how long it takes the programmers to code it.

The only thing standing in the way would be if kickstarter fails to meet the funding goal in a month... then I'd have to delay it so I can find a way to pay the rent (curse you, life!)

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Welcome to the forums, Steve. Game looks pretty amazing, but then again you had me at "handdrawn" and "SRPG." Please keep us posted as you make progress. I'll check out the Kickstarter page and see if I can help.

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Well that Wired article is a start, but you'll need to get the word out on Toucharcade front page, Pocketgamer.co.uk, Touchgen, SlideToPlay, 148apps, IGN Wireless, AppAdvice, etc to drum up people in a month.

You also need to promote the youtube Kickstarter video rather than relying on people visiting Kickstarter first.

9. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    Thanks for the advice, I sent a shout out at those sites you mentioned. Any more you think a game like this would raise interest in?

10. Lazer

Lazer Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    A free roam SRPG sounds pretty awesome to me. Sounds sort of like Parasite Eve, but with a party which would be pretty darn awesome. The game looks absolutely beautiful too. Best of luck on this project, I'm eager to see how it turns out.

11. knighthalo123

knighthalo123 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    SWEET :D i love the graphics :p will there be multiplayer? like a co-op kind of thing or a pvp thing either one :D

12. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    The vid really shows how expansive the world is. Looking forward to this.

13. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic. I am surprised a big company hasn't stepped in to fund this.

14. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    Have mercy! The world map alone overheated my imac, I had to send it in for repairs! And my finger still has a huge callus on it.

And multiplayer? It's a one man production, who's gonna play with me?

15. steveruy

Jul 27, 2011
    NY
    I have one backer who provided the funds for the programmers up front. But I myself am doing this out of my own pocket so that's why I need help at kickstarter to continue the project. I WILL finish the game eventually, I'm totally invested, just how soon depends on whether or not I have to get another job to pay the rent:(

16. FaustWolf

FaustWolf Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    I'm absolutely loving the hand-drawn sprites! Can't wait to see how they look in motion. :)

17. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Looks absolutely amazing! Really can't wait for this! :)

18. aaronius80

aaronius80 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Legal/Enforcement
    Asia
    Hi Steve, the screenshots of this game looks fantastic to me! For an one-man production, I salute you!:)

I am looking forward to this game to be released in time for the holidays, will definitely support you and this game with my wallet.

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I saw again your (very cool) presentation video and read all you wrote about the game, and it seems even more amazing than yesterday.
    I'll check the kickstarter page to see if I can be of help, but I advise you, as others already suggested, to raise a little hype among various iOS gaming websites (I would try to contact wireless.ign too).
    A post on the NeoGAF iOS gaming thread could be of help too (if you do not have permission to post on NeoGAF, PM me and I'll take care of it), many 'hidden' big names frequent that forum...given the amazing art and concept, I doubt you'll have hard time to find a real founding publisher.

I would make a Twitter account too, it helps being re-tweeted.
    I do not use it very much, but I read a facebook page helps too.
    Both are free obviously.

As for the game itself...what to say...the still images looks spectacular (they seems Final Fantasy Tactics cutscenes in a playable form to me) and I saw from your sketches you thought of many animations...I hope backgrounds are animated too (like...let's say...the monsters...light rays...maybe some dust and wind...just to give a 'live motion' sensation instead of a still one, but I think you already thought about that).

Given the timeframe you provided, I would hype the game for a more 'fund raising' approach now, more than the game itself (in the case you have to postpone it...nothing pisses fans more than a delay).

In any case, barring programming problems or balancing issues (I LOVE you make encounters fixed, that will help), the game in this state looks absolutely stunning...and I guess you already know you're one heck of artist.

Hope to see more about the game soon!!!

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Congratulations for getting the first page!!!