Limbo coming to IOS on July 3!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Bronxsta, Jun 26, 2013.

1. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    It's not a matter of the developer simply clicking a button to make the game work on iPod 4G. It's just not powerful enough of a device. Chances are you can buy the game on the AppStore, download it, and run it. But it will likely crash constantly or lag terribly. No matter how hard you try you can't teach a rock to do math.

2. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    after limbo, i really hope cave and braid got ported to ios as well. :D

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If they charge $10 for this, it's still instabuy. I saw on the TA plays that the game is definitely playable, and havin Limbo to play literally anywhere is too good to pass up.

4. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Viewing the TA Plays video, the game doesn't seem like any thing the IPT4 can't run, unless that changes drastically later on.

5. chimpman252

May 8, 2012
    #45 chimpman252, Jun 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    On the surface it's a simple 2D sidescroller but there's actually a lot going on there. There's an emphasis on parallax, so it's actually quite 3D. Heck, the PC version comes with a mode to render the game in anaglyph 3D, so it's probably more of a 3D sidescroller than 2D. Plus there's a ton of visual effects going on. The vingette edges, film grain, blur, lighting effects, flickering, and more give the game its iconic style. Not to mention the lack of loading screens and the dynamic physics of the gameplay.

I have no doubt that the game could be optimized to run on older devices. With XCOM, they could de-res it and omit some levels. But LIMBO is a game where corners can't be cut. The levels and visuals are extremely important, so they had to drop those devices to keep what mattered. Sorry :(

6. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Are you part of the LIMBO team? hopefully it will play ok if i download it but i would love if they could optimize it slightly so to include the 4G..(i thought Apple were still making developers make games that play on the iphone 4 and ipod touch 4G..)
    anyway fingers crossed it will run reasonably on ipod 4G

7. chimpman252

May 8, 2012
    Haha no I'm not part of the team. Just be aware: they may do what the Bastion team did and not let 4G users play the game at all, with those users facing a screen that tells them the supported devices.