Startup for App cross promotion feedback

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by tron412, Oct 2, 2012.

1. tron412

tron412 New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Hey ladies & gents,

If you could get free installs and promotion by joining a network of other indie apps that cross-promote amongst themselves, would that appeal to you? What would be your concerns, thoughts, desires, etc?

It would be a costless inventory exchange model, i.e. every image you display on your app, you 'earn' displays on the network, and detailed analytics would be provided displaying how many installs you got etc etc etc...

Thoughts? PM me if interested in beta testing or with any feedback!

BR,
    Andrew

2. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Unfortunately, Apples new rules will stop cross promotion. A developer is only allowed to promote their own games through other apps that they have published.

There was talk about this a few years ago but nothing really happened... Now it's too late to do this with the new rule change.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    #3 Blackharon, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    I don't think that's true NinthNinja.

The 2nd half of the new clause states "in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store".

As long as you make it clear this is an ad for another game and they're not in the App Store yet, there shouldn't be an issue.

To The OP:

I don't know if it would work out. If you think about it, why would I as a developer want to show ads so I can hope to make a dollar off a sale with another ad of my own. Why wouldn't I prefer to just make the dollar off the ad that I'm showing.

We've been offered something along these lines (ad trading... I forget what network was offering this) in the past and they've not been able to convince me (nor our producers) that it would be more effective than just displaying 'regular' advertisements.

4. tron412

tron412 New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Yes I saw the bit about the rule change - From what I could interpret it seemed like it was worded to give apple leeway to block whatever it decided wasn't appropriate. I would imagine it will only be enforced for 'click wall' or incentivized downloads and the like, but we will see. Also the "in a manner similar to or confusing with the App Store" is somewhat reassuring!

Thanks for the feedback. I'd be interested in hearing about any previous networks that offered this (if it comes back to memory!:))

I would think that for a low-volume app, it would be simpler to exchange impressions for direct promotion than monetize a tiny traffic volume and then buying traffic. It would be promotion to a vetted gameplayer audience and free (and hassle free).

We are a Canadian Startup but we are in China at the moment at an accelerator, and we would like to make it easier for low-budget apps to get international promotion and choose where their banners go. I think the forum rules said I can't post links but I can send out a link if interested.

5. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Don't be shy and post your link here and in your sig too.

JC

6. pat3ck

pat3ck Active Member

It may be against Apple's new rules but the wording is still a bit vague, at least for me.

May we see the link, btw?

Thanks.

7. TapforTapEric

TapforTapEric New Member

Oct 11, 2012
    App Cross-Promotion

I founded Tap for Tap, which is a Tap Exchange for mobile app devs. We don't see the recent apple changes as going after us. I think they're going after app discovery apps, especially ones that mimick the store, and especially ones that charge for placement.

We're launching our new Tap Exchange next week. Check it out. We'll have banners, interstitials and app walls. Install tracking etc. We're really excited!

PM me if you'd like the full rundown on the service.