What's your favorite CD to listen to while gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by syntheticvoid, Mar 10, 2013.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty - I know that there's quite a few of you out there that hate listening to video game music, and prefer to listen to your own choice of music while gaming. I was just wondering what your favorite, or couple of favorite, albums are for gaming?

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Do people still listen to CDs?!
    I listen to playlists that suit the game. I have a sci Fi playlist with a few Hans Zimmer scores and Mass Effect soundtracks on it which I play when the appropriate games audio is sucky.
    I also have a fantasy based one and a horror one. I just pick the playlist which suits the game.

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes... well... I do. Nothing beats physical copies of CDs. Right now, my 'actual' CD collection is around 1000 (I know it's not much, but I've had MASSES of albums stolen from 'friends'... and a couple years ago, I accidentally left my backpack with a 600 CD case holder in it on the bus which, of course, was stolen by the time I called the bus company and had them call the driver to check for it) - but yes, I still buy CDs. =o)

But for the rest of you - I guess a better way to phrase it for... well... most everyone else, would be - what songs/artists do you listen to while gaming. Or do you guys just have a specific genre that you throw on, or what?

4. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I also love my old cds, have about 500 of them and treasure them as much as my game collection.

On topic I usually just let some of my playlists with Zeppellin, Hendrix and oldies in that vein run while gaming specially on sports games in which hearing the same dumb arse comments gets old quick. On rpgs and action games I usually let the audio on as to take in the whole experience.

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    At the moment - the soundtrack of Dustforce is my most-listened to. That and a couple of the VVVVV tracks too.

6. What's a CD? Is that a small record?

7. Pretty much all of my music is digital based

Anyways, I don't really listen to music with my iPod games. Console games where there isn't story (like free play) I just put my music on. With iOS games, I like to make playlists with a kind of general feel of the game. For example, Real Racing 3 has an electronicore soundtrack, whilst Table Top Racing has a straight-rock soundtrack

8. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    So difficult to choose, man! :mad:

Probably if I'd have to pick my all time most played it would be Alexisonfire selftitled/eponymous album.

9. angryassdrummer

angryassdrummer Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld, Australia
    i dont have a cd drive on my ipad so i stick with itunes
    generally listen to game music but when i dont its either
    scorn/mick harris, meat beat manifesto, these arms are snakes, aphex twin, st germain or techno animal/justin broadrick:D

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    CDs suck dude! The only good part about owning them was the artwork/booklet, but they're just a poor man's version of what you used to get with vinyl. I've got a ton of digital music though, I think I tend to choose an album based on what kind of game it is. With puzzle games I just go for whatever I'm listening to at the moment as they're not always trying to convey as much of a theme as games that put you right into their world.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Things falling apart generally, but as mentioned already it depends on the game.