Universal DODONPACHI MAXIMUM (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 25, 2012.

1. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Damn this game has really grown on me. Got it at launch but was weary at first about it being an original mobile title instead of a glorious arcade port and wasnt fan of the visual style but after my first playthrough I can hardly go back to other cave games as this is my definitive bullet hell fix so far.

Everyone should at least try the lite that just came out, great work and hope that works for the guys at Cave.

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Sorry for the thread bump, but does anyone by chance have screenshots of the locked ships, or can someone describe how they are? Picked up the lite version and was curious as to what the other ships looked like.

3. Sure, here you go...

Orchid bomb type

Attached Files:

4. Tigerschwert
    Lock on type

Attached Files:

5. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Any chance this will see iPod touch 5g support?

6. laszlo_kovacs

laszlo_kovacs Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Still giving 5-D (& E) a shot daily. Strategy's there, just can't execute.

Love the game, I'd have paid full price for it.

7. This game plays great on my tv using the ipad hdmi adapter! With the added real estate, this game rocks!

8. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    At this point I've given up on this hope. I've tweeted them about this before and they're "looking into it". Plays great on the ipad though.

9. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    btw if someone has problems with colors, try to invert colors. the game is more easy then and looks quite fun too.

10. operaguy2112

Dec 1, 2011
    It would be a bummer if it doesn't if the iPhone 4 can run it at all then it should work fine on the iPod 5.

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Personally I blame Apple for not giving devs an easier way to filter which device their apps can run on. Almost want to ask Apple for a refund to just get their attention. j/k... ;-P

But then I do enjoy it in the iPad so I'm not too sad.. Lol..

12. operaguy2112

Dec 1, 2011
    Yeah that's true. I guess they can't make it available on 5th gen without also being available on 4th.

13. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Sorry for "hijacking" this thread, but for those who've played Ikaruga in the past, how would you make that game control on a touchscreen? I'm playing it on Android and find the controls lacklustre, and seeing that the game is highly rated, it would be a waste if poor controls made it irrelevant on touchscreens.

14. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

May 21, 2011
    Iphone game rRootage Online has an "IKA" mode that controls fine. Move your ship just like Dodonpachi then tap anywhere with another finger to switch polarity. No lock-on bomb but whatevs.

It's free you could try it and see if it feels better/worse/same to you.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I've never actually played Ikagura (BLASPHEMY~!), but as far as the whole polarity shooting thing goes, "Kyotokei" does it pretty well on iPhone. How does the Android version of Ikagura handle the color changing?

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Have to agree... was just going to bring up Kyotokei. rRootage is another fine example of polarity done perfectly. =oP

17. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Me too. In the Polara thread loads were talking about it, so now it came to Android I'd be foolish to not finally play it! (I am not a fan of shmups but I give this an exception).

Basically, the default controls are drag to move ship, and three buttons at the bottom for shoot, change polarity and homing missile respectively.

Of course, this is a dumb layout, so luckily there are alternatives available. (You can assign one of the button to a single tap, and another to double tap).

What I did was I assigned single tap to change polarity. Then I turned on auto-fire. But it still feels clunky. I really hope they work on it.

One main reason is you can't change color while moving. Also, from what I understand, auto-fire isn't how you should play Ikaruga. So they need to figure that out too (you need to strategically aim for killchains).

I hope you understand my gibberish here.

18. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Highly recommended you try it if you can. Easiest would either be through XBLA, or get the GameCube version on eBay (Wii will play it if you have a GC controller and memory card).

+1 for Kyotokei. Pretty decent polarity shmup.
    +10 for rRootage. Any shmup fans should have this as a staple. It has a ton of levels across 4 very different play styles.

19. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Thanks for the game. Will check it out.

Don't forget, Ikaruga has got a homing button, and also actually should be used with manual (not auto) aiming. So two extra control elements to contend with here.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I guess there's a reason to pull my Xbox out of it's 3 year hibernation now. :p Guessing it's not on PS3. Well, no difference...that's also in hiberation now. >_>

This is my last bit of thread derailing: I've always avoided rRootage because of the "Online" part of the title. I don't know why, but that just completely confused the hell out of me. I just picked up the HD version...wow. I've seriously been missing out on this for such a long time?