HELP!!!! Iphone apps much larger than they really are when sync...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by deadcobain, Nov 21, 2010.

1. deadcobain

deadcobain Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Hi there,

I'm having a really huge problem here. So the problem is, that when i sync my apps to my iPhone 4, the apps size appears to be larger than they really are. What i mean, in this case and example, is: I updated The Settlers for iPhone, and the file size is 266MB, but when i connect my iPhone 4 and choose the apps i want to sync in iTunes, the filezise of The settlers appears to be 700+ MB. What is the problem here? is this happening with anyone too? this happened with other apps too, when i sync, the filesize appears to be much much larger than it is, and my phone become with almost no empty memory in an instant...

2. nachoslocos

nachoslocos Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    There's no problem. They are compressed archives.

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    GTA is 600+, but the download is 200+ - they are compressed like zip files then expanded and installed when opened.

4. deadcobain

deadcobain Member

Apr 23, 2010
    thank you very much for your help... i was becoming crazy with this and i couldn't find help anywhere, even in the apple forums. This is wrong information from developpers... and i don't remember this happening in my old iPhone 3G, but i see that simcity deluxe is 30 Mb larger in iphone than in itunes too

5. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Quoting a developer that just answered this same question today:

6. deadcobain

deadcobain Member

Apr 23, 2010
    so, the install files are much bigger than package files in my iphone 4 than iphone 3G because the hardware is diferent?

So, the answer to my question is:

Powerfull hardware = bigger and better graphics = Bigger install filesize than original package filesize,

DinoHardware = Small and poor graphics = Big or equal install filesize than original package filesize.

Is this right? in the same file/game/program?

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    They're not different..if you got to iTunes and go to the app screen where you choose what you want to sync, you'll see the expanded file size. The developers aren't 'lying' since they're posting the download size of the file.

8. deadcobain

deadcobain Member

Apr 23, 2010
    i understant that, what i mean is that i download a package with x MB. When i sync it, depending on wich hardware i'm installing, the bigger is the install filesize. So if i install in iphone 3G, it probably will be a smaller install than if i was installing in my iphone 4, that probably will install HD graphics. right?

9. nachoslocos

nachoslocos Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Would anyone else like to repeat my answer?

10. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    My first three words in the Previous post stated that they will be the same if it's the same game for any device..

11. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Think of it like baking muffins. When you put the muffin in the mold, nothing is spilling out. However, when you bake the muffin, it rises out of the mold, and gets very big.
    I don't know, it sounded like a good analogy in my head....

12. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    yeah...no

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is why universal isn't all that great. I'm sure it's useful for some people, but the rest of us end up wasting more time and bandwidth on crap we're never gonna use.

14. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Why isnt this thread closed? The OP has been answered.

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The iTunes store shows you the compressed version of the app. Then you download it, then it installs and uncompresses. Please tell me you know what zip files are? It has nothing to do with hardware.

16. LeopardGecko

LeopardGecko Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Male
    Addictions
    Colorado
    I, for one, like the analogy. =P

17. deadcobain

deadcobain Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I understood guys. thanks. It was a little confuse but now i get it. I know what are Zip files, but i didn't knew how iphone apps work, now i get it. It happnes in PC games too, when you buy a game with 8GB and it installs a total of 10/20GB.

18. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    It shows a download size when you first get it on the appstore, but when you sync to your device it should properly show the correct, uncompressed size.

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    High definition graphics data is useful for those with retina display devices...