[BETA] Oddman - A minimalistic fighter (By Set Snail)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SetSnail, Dec 15, 2017.

1. SetSnail

SetSnail Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    #1 SetSnail, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    [​IMG]

Hey everyone. We are seeking testers to try out our new game.

Oddman is a minimalistic fighter
    An old Japanese saying goes like this — ”The weak are meat; the strong eat”. In Oddman you must stand your ground and push the intruders of the island, into the water filled with piranhas! Pick from several classic fighters and take on the singleplayer mode, or invite some friends over and play the local vs. mode!

Please type your email in the forum thread or sign up at this link.

Hope that you all enjoy testing the game. Do share any feedback in the forum thread, or send an email to [email protected] :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Patthegymnast

Patthegymnast Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Just signed up!

3. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    #3 SetSnail, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Oddman - v 0.1.2

[​IMG]

Happy new year! Thanks for the feedback so far.

We are ready with a new version of Oddman. Please pay attention to the controls and the changes we made. Do you like the new movement better?

Changes since last post
    - A speech bubble appears when you get within range of an enemy. From that point the enemy starts it’s attack cycle.
    - Movement of control arrow was changed (you will know when you see it)
    - New mechanics were added for the enemies
    - A text based rating of you perfomance after each run
    - Minor bug fixes

What’s next?
    - We want to introduce boss fights. This will of course take some time :) But the idea is that you will see the boss “castle” in the background and slowly approach it as you clear one island after another. After X islands you will get into a boss fight.
    - More variation in enemies as you progress
    - Maybe new venues?

Hugs from the Set Snail team

4. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Oddman - v 0.1.3

[​IMG]

Hi everyone. A the new Oddman build is ready :) Thanks for the feedback so far.

We decided to revert the controls to the initial version. People generally feel that they are able to react faster when the arrow moves in a circle around the character.

Changes since last post
    - Attack and rest animation for all enemies were added
    - A single boss was added (more to come. The boss will appear every 10th island)
    - Balancing
    - "Power punch" trails were added (when you tap fast twice to make a more powerful punch)

What’s next?
    - More bosses, enemies and venues

Hugs from the Set Snail team

5. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

Hi Set Snail

Having a lot of fun with the game.

I prefer the left/right with the arrow (rather than circular). If I get knocked into the sky I have to wait for it to spin all the way around, so I often end up in the water now. How often are you really going to need to shoot yourself downwards? Its also harder to change directions going back to the left now.

Some of the enemy behaviour is a little odd:

- big round guy, if you jump over him he just keeps walking right into the water
    - low flat one, hit it once at start, it will always then dart to the right into the water rather than towards you

Keep up the good work :)

6. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Hi Chris,

Thank you for the feedback.

Seems that there are some mixed feelings about the way the arrow moves. Maybe we should have a poll somewhere :) Generally it seems that the single player mode is easier when the arrow moves from side to side. But when people play the local versus mode they generally like the circular movements better. At least that’s how we interpret the feedback so far.

We designed big enemy so that you are supposed to jump over him. We plan to create many other enemies. All with a unique movement patterns. The two you described are definitely some of the more dumb enemies :) Maybe it’s too much.

Thanks

7. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

Could the control option be a setting on the main menu? A toggle.

I think it would be more interesting to have round guy and small flat guy be a little harder, as they are impossibly easy to beat at the moment. Something to think about.

I easily beat the first boss enemy, was it supposed to be tricky? One quick double tap and he was out :)

Cheers

8. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Noted. We could indeed make the movement of the arrow a setting. Or maybe have some different movements for the different characters.

The enemies including bosses are very much work in progress and we will make sure to improve their behaviour. We really want to have enemies that are more difficult to beat than others (btw. the next update will have two more bosses).

Thanks

9. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Oddman - v 0.1.4

[​IMG]

Hola.

Two new bosses were added in this version and most enemies had their behaviour changed a bit. Also we have been working on a new venue - the Swamp.

Changes since last post
    - Focus on new bosses
    - Boxes that can be pushed around
    - A lot of small tweaks

What’s next?
    - Still working on bosses, enemies and venues

Until next time

10. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

Hey

So I was trying 2player mode out with my son. Sometimes there was confusion when he is player 1 (left of screen) and his player starts on the right of mine. Feels a little like it should be like street fighter etc, that you start on your side of the screen.

Also the touch input stops working sometimes for player 2 (right side) in 2 player mode.

Right now I'm trying it, black ninja starts on left, score bar at bottom is in yellow-black order, yellow character on right. When i touch left side of screen, it moves black character. It should at least match the side of the screen the score bar is next to no?

Chris

11. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Ahhh makes sense. I actually don't think there is a bug, each player only get a corner of the screen (not half of it). But we understand the confusion. We will make this more clear somehow. Also we like the idea that the start positions are randomised so you have to adapt to the situation fast. But, we could do something to help players find their character. Anyway it's in our roadmap to attend to these issues. Thanks.

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Just signed up! Looks like fun!:D

13. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Thanks bigrand1. Have fun with it.

14. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

Ok I understand, but something isn't working. Here are some combinations I tried...

blue wrestler vs sumo (black pants/hair)
    wrestler = bottom right quarter of touch input
    sumo = top right quarter
    no input on left hand side of screen

yellow karate vs sumo
    sumo = top right
    yellow = top left

ninja vs sumo
    ninja = bottom left
    sumo = top right

karate vs ninja
    karate = top left
    ninja = bottom left

as you can see, this is too confusing and won't work with two players.

[edit] I can see how you've divided up the screen linked to the position of the selection buttons, but I dont think it works once you are in the game.

you should just take the score icons at the bottom and split the whole screen left and right, two sides of the screen for two players.

i'd also make a suggestion to drop the icons on the 2p character select and put a graphic of the characters in, as often i chose the wrong character, visually its easier than trying to remember. just a suggestion :)

15. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Yep. Okay I think you have some good suggestions. We will work out another version of the character selector soon. It's clearly too confusing as it is right now :) Thanks

16. DS Anders

DS Anders Active Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Developer
    Sweden
    Really cool idea. The game is looking great, too!

17. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Thanks

18. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    Oddman - v 0.1.5

[​IMG]

Hi Everyone.

Oddman is evolving :) The new version (currently in review) features some new swipe controls for the single player mode. Please note that if you just tap Oddman will move in the same direction as the last move. What do you think?

Changes since last post
    - New control scheme for single player mode
    - New venue when you defeat a boss
    - Lots of fixes

What’s next?
    - More islands (variation), more bosses and possibly some more mechanics

Thank you for playing

19. chrisoshea

chrisoshea Active Member

New controls work way better. I can finally fly across the sky and move in the direction I want. I'm getting much better scores now too.

What happens to you when you turn green with one of the bosses?

20. SetSnail

Patreon Gold

Dec 10, 2015
    Being a company
    Denmark
    That's great to hear. We are currently working on the next update. When you turn green the gravity is a but wonky :)