XCOM: Enemy Unknown (by Firaxis)[Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Sanuku, Mar 23, 2013.

1. MisterMiracle

MisterMiracle Active Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I have it on Steam but m definitely plonking down $20 for this tomorrow night! I have a 24 hour flight next week and this is gonna be perfect company!

2. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Is there a confirmed price? (Sorry, to lazy to read the thread :p)

3. murph

murph Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    NYC
    $20.00

4. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Cool. I am starting to like these new "expenseve" games. The money used to buy them isn't to happy, unfortunately.... Looking back on the slightly more expensive games, I own Battle Academy ($10), BG:EE ($10), KOTOR ($10), FS ($7), and now (probably) this ($20).

5. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    It's my understanding that when people talk about maps, its not maps in the traditional sense. Each level in the game has many possible cover point/enemy placements and configurations that are randomly chosen at the beginning of the level. Apparently the PC/console versions have many more of these configurations than the iOS version will have, though apparently it will still be near impossible to get the same encounter twice. Pretty sure that all the console levels will be present in the iOS version though. Also the graphics have been scaled down somewhat, not really sure how much. I think they included some amount of DLC too? Not really sure about that.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If this is the case then I feel more optimistic; thank you for the response.

7. jim2011

jim2011 Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I firmly plan on buying this Wednesday at 11PM. I really hope the developer keeps it at this price for some time. Don't burn your fans by dropping the price for the 4th of July!

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Good point. Agreed.

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well i encountered the same mission more than once several times during my playthrough on pc.

so i highly doubt if they cut missions even further back you wont see repetition.

then most mission are generic anyway

10. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I don't think a few less maps or cutscenes will take away from the awesomeness that is playing a year old, current gen, deep and satisfying strategy game on my phone! Ship it! I will have no remorse instantly hitting buy tomorrow night. Look at Warhammer, that's essentially one map, randomized, and I've had a total blast with it. I don't think anyone will feel shortchanged in content, then again, I am shocked by people's general negativity almost daily.

11. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    My only concern is the install size.

12. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    I have played the console version and it is a really cool game all around and it will be PERFECT on touchscreens....you guys are in for a fully fleshed-out, deep, FUN strategy game that is really only a little lite in tactics but not too bad.

Having said that I am really looking forward to multiplayer the most because I never tried it on the console version, but I am hoping for asynchronous play.
    Correct me if I am wrong but didnt they say it will have both sync and async multiplayer when added later?

Anyway it is also a bit sad for iOS gaming when ports like KOTOR, XCOM, Battle Academy, Soul Calibur, Walking Dead, Great Battles Medieval etc, etc... are better than most, if not every native iOS game in their respective genres.

HOWEVER, at least we are getting some great ports to go along with some great originals like the upcoming Breach & Clear or Autumn Dynasty, Ace Patrol, etc..

Unfortunately, I wouldn't get my hopes for that many "great" native iOS games coming anytime soon.

13. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    That's because there is an ingrained opinion among respected game devs that iOS games are meant to be bite-sized time wasters. 2 or 3 years ago I would agree, but now the lines between mobile and console quality are beginning to blur. XCOM and KOTOR ports are only the beginning, soon there will be plenty of games that are fully playable on iOS as well as on mobile. The hardware is pretty much there already, I think we only really need one or two more generations of iOS devices to really get to the point where iOS can run console quality games routinely. But even when the hardware gets there, we're going to have to worry about the problems with the app store economy, tthat is freemium and getting people to pay good money for games. Hopefully having the ability to buy a game once and play it on multiple platforms will help with this, as it will be viewed as a console/PC game as well as just a mobile game.

14. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Are we there yet?!!

15. AaronLee

AaronLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Interactive Designer
    Philadelphia
    This is an absolutely fantastic game. For me though, I already have it on PS3 and don't quite play it enough to justify another $20 investment to play it on mobile (tempting as it is). I will say though, if you haven't played this game yet, $20 is easily worth it.

People often throw around the term "console quality" for iOS games. However, this is the real deal, a bonafide console game on iOS, and a wonderful console game at that.

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Okay, so I need some thoughts on the game from anyone who has played it.

I am decent at Final Fantasy Tactics, I enjoyed Shining Force, I have played a few other RTS games (Warcraft, Star Control).

I sucked at the original Xcom game.

I still haven't played Frozen Synapse to the point of understanding or being able to enjoy it.

Leviathan would be unplayable without my friend.

BUT...

This game looks amazing. Apparently Firaxis worked to make easy mode easier, so I wonder if I could get into it?

I really need to try out the demo, but I know that doesn't always give the whole picture.

Also, is anyone going to put this in the right section and remove it from being universal?

17. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    There are currently no imps on the UI so I can't comment on how it will feel on ios. From memory you liked Hunters and Warhammer Quest. It's comapiable to those in terms of player positioning but with a bucketload of tension and atmosphere. You name your soldiers, level them up and if they die then that's it. For me the demo didn't do it for me. It wasn't until I had put in a few hours that I was hooked. Every move counts :)

18. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    But it is universal.

19. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I don't mind lesser visual fidelity, I would be keen on a unique campaign or some missions though.

20. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Yeah that would be noice. It's almost here dude!!!! Argh!!