Universal Worms 2: Armageddon (by Team17)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. L33

L33 Member

Dec 23, 2010
    UK
    Can anyone with this game confirm they can see the battle pack in app purchase option on the main screen, as I have not got it for some reason. I have just installed this new update, and still can't see it.

2. mpf189

mpf189 Active Member

Dec 11, 2010
    So wifi play is only 1v1? That's disappointing.

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

YES! Updated to v1.08, now with asynchronous gameplay via Game Center!

4. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Still updatin myself. This was about time! Love Worms, and asynchronous multiplayer has been a no-brainer.

The only thing missing now is easy YouTube sharing of insane gaming moments.. Adding that would make the game so much more visible, which would invite more players.

Well, maybe not the only thing. I'm still downloading, so I just hope they made a more touch friendly Ninja Rope, but I assume they haven't.

5. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    It is about time! This is something they promised before they released the FIRST Worms a few years ago! Better late than never I suppose...

I have a few games going and I'm happy to report it's pretty flawless so far. Finding a game is instantaneous through GameCenter and it's been a lot of fun. Async is really the only multiplayer this should have.

The only thing lacking at this point is it doesn't look like it saves any stats (Win/Loss or anything like that...) which is disappointing. Oh well, after 3 years or so I'll take what I can get!

6. graffekta

graffekta Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    London
    So great to have async multi!

Every random I play against keeps resigning after I have a go though :(

7. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    This update is great!

Have you noticed that match type is now fully customizable? I don't think that was possible before? Sadly the custom config is only available for private matches.

Still I would have liked to:

1. Use my own team in async matches.

2. Be able to invite GC-friends to multiplayer games. Currently that seems impossible!?

3. See the screen after my move in async. - meaning a button saying "OK" in addition to the current "Exit". So I could review the arena while waiting for opponent move.

4. See async stats be collected just like campaign/multiplayer games.

5. Be allowed to control the camera while opponent make a move in async games.

And I think they reduced the price?

8. graffekta

Feb 18, 2009
    London
    @Gatada - you can play your friends, when you start a async game you have to press the 'invite friends' button and do it that way.

It'd be good to use custom teams in async matches but I guess maybe they've not done it because people could have their worms as swear words and that'll bump the game up past ages 9+.

Chat would also be good.

What I'm finding though is the games I started on my iPad won't load on my iPhone (possibly vice versa?). I just get 'This match cannot be loaded', but if I go back to the device I started it on, it works fine.

9. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    No, multiplayer games. It doesn't use GC for multiplayer, only async games. I want to play custom matches with friends.

Easy fix: every worm belongig to the opponent is given a random name, you only see your own worms with your own custom names. Nobody would know.

Chat would bump age limit, which is why Emotes is a better idea. I contacted Team17 about that and they said they tried it - and that it didn't work. Personally I think they need to try again with async games which they never did before, and give the worm that does the move the option of one emote each turn.

I think it would work great.

I believe this is a Apple limitation. The match is tied to the device to avoid sync problems. If state is saved server side, maybe it's possible to config device swapping - but I guess not..

With some tweaks Worms could be an instant iOS classic. I'm even starting to enjoy (master) the ninja rope now!

10. Gatada

Gatada Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I've played/started about 10 async matches so far, and I've experienced some problems:

1. A match that I won when the last enemy worm in his turn, jumped into water. The summary screen presents me as the winner, yet the match pops up as "my turn" after hitting the green check mark. I've even tried to quit the game.. Still this ghost game returns.

2. It seems related to when I briefly quit the game: when I tap to continue a async match half the screen is white, the other part is a frozen and squeezed main menu. Still I hear the match in the background. Force quitting the game seems to be the only solution.

3. Under Game Over I have a game listed as "Me" with the sub title "Won". Tapping it shows my opponent doing an excellent finishing move, turning a 2 - 160 score game to go victory (killing two of my healthy worms, leaving his 2hp worm - or something like that). So, he won - still th game is "Won" on my screen?

Have anyone experienced similar issues?

11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Yep, experienced your number 1 the other day!

12. graffekta

Feb 18, 2009
    London
    Ah sorry, misunderstood you.

Yeah that would work!

Hmm, well, Ticket to Ride Pocket doesn't seem to mind it (granted this isn't Universal...), nor does Carcassonne and they both use GC.

I still can't seem to get past 1/2 turns against randoms. Don't know if it's bugged or they're rage quitting...

13. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    #133 ZildjianKX, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    I wish it would show gamecenter names for multiplayer matches instead of "Player 2", which is kind of lame. I've also had to kill the app via the taskbar a few times to get the other person's move to show up.

Edit - So if you're on the main menu and you enter your async game again and it's not your turn yet, there doesn't seem to be a way to go back to the main menu without getting the "All current match progress will be lost. Are you sure you want to exit?" screen. WTF?

Edit - If the other player moves while you're in the game, it doesn't seem to ever update. I had to kill the app to get it to show up. Also, tapping on a notification from the game doesn't bring you into the game. Maybe I'm just used to a really polished game like Carcassonne.

Edit - Async multiplayer is CRAP for this game. I'm sitting next to my friend and the games are totally out of sync. Worms with different damage, different parts of the map are blown up... just wow.

14. genjuro

genjuro Member

Jun 28, 2012
    So for some reason, my friend can always start an asynchronous match with me with no problem, but it always gives me an error when i try to start one with him.

The error message is "Unable to create match - Please try again later."

Anybody else having this issue?

15. Gorlovka

Gorlovka Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Is this retina on the new iPad?

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd like to know this too.

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The icon is retina but actual gameplay is not. It doesn't look terrible but things like the weapons and fire buttons are noticibly blurry.

18. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    I love this game, but haven't played multiplayer yet, can you use the teams you've made in multiplayer?

19. Yeah, the graphics just don't look good on my new ipad, wish they would update this to new ipad retina but I doubt it will ever happen.

20. Firetruck94

Firetruck94 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    on mars
    Also, how do you delete an asynchronous game center game youve created?