Angry Birds VS Tiny Wings

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by NinthNinja, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    I heard a conversation between my nephew and his friends. To sum up the conversation they are raving about Tiny Wings and the want the game to hold the number 1 spot. But what is interesting is that the hate they have towards Angry Birds, a game that some of them enjoyed in the past, but because it's been number 1 for ages they are sick of it and want some change on the top spots.

This is sort of like the music charts - I remember a lot of years ago when some song was number 1 for about half a year and by the end people just grew to hate the song. Byron Adams and Wet Wet Wet spring to mind, by the end I hated both those songs.

I'm wondering if the Tiny Wings sky rocket to fame is just a reaction for change - admittedly the game deserves the success.

2. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Its just because its good. But I still think Angry Birds is a better game and app

3. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Would Tiny Wings be able to hold the top spot for almost a year like Angry Birds has? Maybe it should take it for a week or two but it doesn't have as much lasting and widespread appeal.

4. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I agree, but what I find interesting here is the hate towards Angry Birds and people willing to get Tiny Wings on the Top Spot because of this hate.

But don't get me wrong, it's not just about the hate - that's a small part I observed - as the game deserves this attention. I think Tiny Wings will be number 1 for about a week, maybe 2, then slip away.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Indeed, I'm not sure what to call the effect, but people tend to get tired of seeing the same thing over and over again for an extended period of time. Angry Birds is in every way the superior game as of now. Rovio worked hard to give the game the fame and success the game has earned. Although I have never liked the game, I do have to admit that it's very well-designed and perfectly thought out in regards to the appeal it would have on the public. Angry Birds definitely deserves to represent what casual games should be like on the iOS. Regarding Tiny Wings having the number one spot, it will probably take it for a few days to a few weeks, but eventually Angry Birds will shoot right back up to the top. This will be due to the influx of new iOS buyers who are definitely very familiar with Angry Birds as it's one of the demo games on every iOS device in any licensed Apple device selling store in the US.

6. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    i hate playing angry birds game. its not my kinda game. but i give props to them to making a very good game - characters, music and UI. tiny wings is ok.. but its nothing great.

there is no Vs IMO.

7. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    This battle between AB and TW seems a bit unfair IMO.

Angry birds has been out for over a year now and has had tons of updates galore where as Tiny wings hasn't even been out for one week yet.

Obviously angry birds is going to have the upper hand, it's been out much longer with many updates to improve the game and this is coming from someone who hates AB with a passion.

8. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I think everyone likes a success story like Tiny Wings, a lone developer working for months on their own then after a few days after release the game is currently at number 2 on all the charts. Success does not get better than that :)

Angry Birds was calculated success, the devs invested 120,000USD into it and went through various prototypes to find something that was good.

Tiny Wings has just caught the moment at the right time, maybe a happy accident...

The only thing I dread now is there will be a lot of want a be devs thinking they can have that success and release a load of crap on the App Store. In my mind Tiny Wings is a very rare game that caught the mood of casual gamers but somehow I think this will never happen again to this degree of success.

But like I say everyone like the rags to riches stories because it's like a hope that we can all win a lottery.

9. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Serendipity

I think the artwork & music of TinyWings is simply soothing

10. LeopardGecko

LeopardGecko Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Male
    Addictions
    Colorado
    Let's call it the Semper Effect.

Semper = always/forever in Latin. =P

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    That's no new concept..the AppStore is going on to its third birthday in a few months, and that has been the mindset of many devs since the birth of the AppStore. Go to the AppShopper website and check out what the total number of paid iOS games is; then think about how many you've heard of before out of that total. It is indeed a rare success story though. Props to the dev for working hard on his game and a big hand to his good fortune.

12. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I also believe that Tiny Wings will take the top spot but only for a little while. Its a great game and a great success story but it won't last forever like Angry Birds.

13. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    #13 shyguy3, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Unfortunatly it's more than likely to happen. Hundreds of these cheap clones have come out after a popular game has huge success (angry birds, doodle jump, plants vs. zombies and fruit ninja just to name a few.) and the sad thing is some of these devs believe that their clones will have the same level of success.

14. slimothy

slimothy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    I think Tiny Wings will stay in top 25 for quite a while. Not sure about beating out Angry Birds since it has much less publicity than AB. :/

15. dizzydank

dizzydank Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Assitant Managing Editor - Games, AppTudes; TV/Mov
    portland, ME
    this debate makes no sense. the only thing similar about tiny wings and angry birds are birds....

Tiny Wings needs time to grow.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #16 backtothis, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Then stop calling it the game of the year along with all the other people doing so.

17. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Apples to Oranges.

I think Angry Birds is the better app, but it's an unfair comparison considering that has been out for more than a year while Tiny Wings came out a couple days ago.

18. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    This thread was never about a debate - it's about the mood of casual gamers and the hate that Angry Birds is generating because people are sick of it been number 1 for almost a year. Tiny Wings just timed everything right, a moment, where the game went viral big time - people are willing this game to knock Angry Birds off it's perch and become number 1 (even for a few short weeks).

Angry Birds will regain it's position but I for one want to see Tiny Wings beat it for a while.

19. undergroundH

undergroundH Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I don't see Tiny Wings having a long term appeal as Angry Birds.

20. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    It's success beats me, but I guess it's plausible, every app has a 1 in 150000 shot.

/tiny wings is heaven, and you not playing is hell