Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jools75

Jools75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Secret Agent :-)
    Italy
    For spells, you simply press on a spell icon for just 2 seconds and then it will show a page with all of that spell information.

Many years ago this was a true milestone of pure rpg gaming. Maybe Baldur's Gate even introduced the "pause-order-unpause-execute" gameplay mechanism, at least for me. About icons, probably you're right, but I feel this game exactly as it was the first time I played it on my PC years ago. In fact, no need of any tutorial to start (restart, eheh) playing... Ok, I'm lucky, being so older... :)

2. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Can't you see detailed spell descriptions if you go into spellbook and click on the icons there? It is quite important to read them, too, to know what to use in what circumstances.

Also, don't forget to give all your party members ranged proficiencies when you can. Concentrated fire FTW! And you really don't want your mages to rush into melee.

3. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Second Part of the Tutorial:

Since it`s the only Way how to prefent currently Piracy I can see why they did add the iOS Restriction in the longer run and let`s be honest:

I`m pretty sure more Developers will jump on that train in the upcoming Months so if you are still haven`t updated to iOS 6 you will suffer in 2013 really a lot...

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    No, they should make it exactly what it is. The PC/Mac versions of BG cost more and have all of these items included by default; the point of including these items as separate IAP for the iPad version is in direct response to the nature of iOS gamers, who throw a fit at game prices at the best of times. With Overhaul selling the basic game and providing the additional content as IAP, players are able to spend as much or as little as they like, while having a reduced entry fee to the core game.

Buying everything for the iPad version (the game itself, plus the additional characters, voice sets and portraits) is intended to end up costing the same as buying the computer version; they're not going to be adding more voices/portraits/whatever just because you don't think you're getting enough stuff for your money.

And that's the whole point; if you don't think you'll benefit from these items (and the voices and portraits are just cosmetic), you don't need to buy them. PC and Mac gamers don't get a choice; they have to pay for them regardless.

5. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    yeah..what a shame. Looks like I will be sticking to the PC version... also I think 1st timers should just skip the IAP and use the original chars on their 1st playthrough.

6. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Pretty sure the iOS 6 restriction is either an oversight, or something that'll go away once they iron out the iPad 1 memory issues.

7. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    There is still hope that they'll continue to work on iPad 1 compatibility (they certainly already spent a lot of time on it) and then they'll _have_ to include iOS 5.1.1 support.
    But yea, it seems like I won't be able to help them climb the charts at this time, heh. And I even set aside 20$ from various "free apps" stuff expressly for the purpose, since the US charts are so important...

The problem is, original NPCs don't say much, unless you specifically mix and match for maximum dialogue using a FAQ and keeping a neutral reputation. Which I did, back on my first play-through in the 2000-ies, but it is not optimal. I hear that new NPCs are far more talkative (and thus more entertaining) though...

8. oldvictor

oldvictor Active Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Hi,

Does anyone know if this includes Tales of The Sword Coast ?

Thanks.

9. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    I see the file size listed as 1.9gb, can anyone confirm what the size is with all the extra IAP installed as well? I want this, and want it all... But might have to free up some space.

Also. People not upgrading to iOS 6 because of the maps. Really, they aren't THAT bad. Sure the database isnt that hot, but the navigation is great so long as you know the address. Besides, nokia maps is in the store. That's a good back up.

10. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Yay yay yay! Downloading now.

Already on iOS 6 so no worries here... Are you all really that angry with Appe Maps? I know it depends on "where you live" but it's really not that bad... Oh well ;) Baldur's Gate is worth it!

11. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Yes it does.

12. oldvictor

oldvictor Active Member

Feb 23, 2012
    Many thanks, getting now...

13. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Bought on sight.

14. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Oh, my poor obsolete iPad 1. I've just txted my hubby to say 'can we swap iPads for a bit, plz, can we, plz plz?'

15. setarrif

setarrif New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I just read bad reviews for the PC version. It sounds like Beam Dog made a very poor job. I was so much waiting for the iPad version but now I'm confused! If anybody plays it already, please what's your impression so far? Is it worth 10 bucks on iPad?

16. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    Wow! I just woke up to fine that BGEE was finally released to the App Store! I'm downloading right now!

Say...maybe unicorns ARE real!

:p

--DotComCTO

17. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Yes, it is the whole package! I'm doing a snoopy dance!

18. dannythefool

dannythefool Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Germany
    Same with IAP.

It's completely useless for me, it doesn't know half the smaller streets. I still upgraded when it came out, but I can understand when people can't or don't want to because they need navigation.

19. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    TY, maybe I dont need to free up as much space :)

To be honest, i've never used the app on iOS, however the nokia maps on my Lumia from work are excellent.

20. jpjandrade

jpjandrade New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Has anyone played it on the iPad 3 / 4 yet? How does it look? They don't have native res textures due to file size restrictions so they are upscaling the iPad 2 textures and I would like to know if it looks good on the Retina display.