Warning to other iOS developers..

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Mr Qwak, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Mr Qwak

Mr Qwak Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    Hello,

Just wanted to post this here, so developers won't miss it.

Full story here: http://www.mrqwak.com/2012/03/ooops/

Yeah, ouch!

Really wanted to warn the community, if you're planning on switching from individual to company iOS developer account, or changing banking info; maybe not a good idea to do it while you have an active app, selling well, on the AppStore.

2. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Ouch

That must be such a frustration after the initial high of seeing your game get decent downloads and press.

Hope it gets back up there on the re-release.

Well at least you can't say being an indie dev is boring...

3. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Well you made a quality game and I am sure it will take off again once released again.

4. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it's been over 28 hours now, no improvement in the situation, and impossible to get hold of anyone at Apple over the weekend. :confused:

5. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Well that's unfortunate... we went through this same process quite some time ago, but didn't have any problems at all. Our apps were live the whole time without any interruption, so this should definitely NOT happen.

6. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hey man, I really feel for you.
    I too am a lone developer and I know how overstretched you must feel.
    And this is a real bummer.
    However, for a small silver lining, if it wasn't for this thread, I might not have seen your cool racing game, and moreover, I wouldn't have looked at your page and saw that you made Qwak. I remember that from my good ol' Amiga days. :D
    I'm sure it will work out for you in the end.

7. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Just wanted to offer my condolences as well... I'm sure that a great game like Retro Racing will not simply be swept under the rug! I will definitely pick up a copy as soon as it's back in the app store.

8. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Thanks. Yeah, I have no idea what went wrong for me. I hope Apple are more helpful when I call them Monday morning. :)

9. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Hey thanks! Glad you liked Qwak, though it didn't seem to do well on iOS. Not sure why. Maybe it's too intense for people?

Yes. Hopefully I will bounce back from this. :)

10. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Thank you! I totally apprecieate every little bit of support and encouragement from the community right now. Makes me feel not so isolated. :)

11. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Well done achieving as much as you have so far, very inspiring! Ride this out you have good momentum and a positive attitude. I also enjoyed reading the community's comments both here plus on your site.

12. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Sorry to hear what happened to you, the risk of the apple platform is becoming more apparent by every article I read.

It's not really my decision but I do wonder what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket (no easter pun intended) the other recent news http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/25/apple_begins_blanket_rejections_of_apps_that_access_udids.html also indicates sweeping changes. Speaking of which, I wonder what that means for those who are using SDK's that access UDID's? Anyway that's OT.

13. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Thanks chaps.

Just have a mini update for you all...

I was in touch with Apple first thing this morning. They're aware of situation and have escalated it to their internal team to deal with. Still not sure how long that will take, but at least the ball is rolling now. :)

14. WeeAllan

WeeAllan Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Project Manager of Mobile
    Scotland
    Thats great that things are rolling for you now.

I hate to think what would happen if this happened to us :confused:

15. I'll grab a copy when it's back up. Every little bit helps.

16. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Just had a call from them in the US. It seems to be going very slow, and they just don't have the same sense of urgency as I do. So frustrating. Mind you, I am the kind of person who likes everything to happen instantly anyway.

Also, frustrating to get passed from one person to the next. You explain the situation fully to one person, and they just pass on the bare minimum details, so you have to explain everything again to the next person.

17. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Arg I will probably make this kind of transfert this year.
    Thanks for the warning.

18. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    Wel, I was on the phone to Apple this morning again. The support chap was very helpful, and 'human', and after explaining my situation more fully to him, he sounded genuinely keen to help me. So feeling hopeful again. :)

19. Mr Qwak

May 23, 2010
    All good now! Just to wrap this up, here's a little more nitty-gritty for you...

Basically, when my iOS developer account was in individual mode, I had an incomplete iAds contract attached to my account (started it, but had not finished filling in tax info). This was the 'spanner in the works' when I migrated to a business account. All the time, I thought it was to do with the banking info too, it wasn't, it was just the iAds contract that got me. In the end, all I had to do was remove it (after Apple figured it out, and told me to), and everything quickly resolved itself. Job done!

Apple did say there were going to discuss this internally, and possibly put something in place to prevent it happening again (or at least warn people I guess).

Anyhow, hope that's helpful to anyone considering migrating. :)

If you can spare a tweet, please check out the following blog post, and click the 'tweet this article' link, half way down..

http://www.mrqwak.com/2012/03/save-retro-racing-day/

Cheers,
    Jamie (the evil spambot)

20. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Thanks for the update!
    It's a good information for me. Now I know what to avoid to do.

I bought your game, I like these old school car racing game.