Oh YEAH!!!! I'm Back And With a MAC!!! (questions inside!)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crex, May 11, 2011.

1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    So, I'm not sure if you've noticed, but I've been pretty inactive the last couple days. Why? My computer broke. Wasn't even able to turn the damn thing on. I was forced to go to Starbucks with my iPod just to buy games and post a comment or two.

Well, today, all that changed. Because I am now the proud owner of a new Macbook! :D So I have a couple questions and would really appreciate if you guys could help me out:

1) So, I have a major problem. All of my iTunes purchases of apps and music are on my old computer. BUT, I can't even turn it on. How the hell do I transfer them to my new Macbook? Am I screwed? :( Do I start over? Can I re-download them on my iPod for free and sync it to m new Macbook? Thnx.

2) What are some must have Mac App Store games? Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic anyone? :)

3) Not a question. I just want to say THE MAC ROCKS!!! :D:D:D

Thnx Everyone! :)

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Congrats, do you have all your stuff on your iPod? If yes, there are applications that can transfer the music using the iPod as like a USB for the music. If the harddrive of the computer isn't fried you can look into how to access the files or bring it to a store to do it for you.

lucky...

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yep, I have the latest MacBook Pro, and it definitely kills the PC. Come on crex, you should know that you can redownload games at any time for free as long as you sign in with the account your purchased the games on. Also, simply register your iPod with your MacBook, and click transfer purchases. This allows the iPod to transfer all of the applications from your iPod to your MacBook. This doesn't apply to songs though. But yeah, enjoy it man. Definitely some good stuff. I'd avoid the Mac AppStore though, lol.

4. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Its simple crex...just go into itunes on your mac, and then redownload all your games and apps. It will be free...you can also check your billing history inorder to see what games and apps your downloaded.

OR...go to a computer shop and see if they can transfer the data from your old harddrive onto an external hard drive, then use the external harddrive to transfer the games and apps onto your mac...simple enough.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    You could get a harddrive enclosure and get your files that way. It's as simple as unscrewing the bottom of your old computer, unplugging the wires around the HD, then plugging/sliding in the HD into the enclosure and connecting it to your new Mac with a usb cord.

Or you could just pirate your music back. *shrug* With games/apps, downloading again is free. Just go to your account details in iTunes and you should be able to access a list of purchases.

6. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I was asking one of the Genius's at the Apple store if I'd be able to redownload them for free after signing in. he said that because its a different appstore (apparently mac appstores and pc appstores are different :confused:) that I can't redownload them for free. Hmm. i'll try though. Thnx for the help.

7. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol, he misunderstood you. I made the transition between PC to Mac only 2 months ago.

8. crex

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Yup you were right. Just downloaded Pro Zombie Soccer and Assassins Creed to test it. Downloaded for free and says already purchased. Cool.

backtothis > Apple Genius

9. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    everyone on earth > apple genius.

They are ****ing idiots...trust me. My dog could take a crap and it would be smarter than the apple geniuses.

10. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

ehhh ;)

11. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    I would not listen to all there employes. One of them said the IPad 2 would not come out till november/december. And i said nah it will come out in a few days. (This was about 2months ago) and i was correct.

12. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Good luck for your surgery Triggy !

Hi Crex .

Lol .

You're probably thinking "what's with this guy?" :p .

13. Elfanger

Elfanger Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    If you transfer apps onto another computer, will you lose the savegames and progress for each of the apps?

Thanks.

14. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    I'm guessing if you backup the whole itunes file , you won't lose it . Just make sure in the new itunes file that is created in the new computer , transfer all the files from the old folder first before synchronising . I'm not sure though . This is what happened when I accidentally messed up my itunes (regarding the settings) and I almost accidentally reset everything through synchronising .

15. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

You should buy an external hard drive case with USB support. Then put the old hard disk of the pc into the case, plug the case into your Mac and you old drive should mount. Then just copy the music and other data from your old PC to your Mac/iTunes.

You might also copy the backup files of your old iPhone and all your apps over. Then you should be able to restore an old backup to your iPhone. This will install all music, apps and your app data (savegames) to your iPhone. But of course, you will loose everything you did during the last two months ;).

16. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Thanks, Surprised someone took the time to read that :p

17. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Congrats on the switch. You won't look back.

18. iphoneprogrammer

Mar 26, 2009
    London, UK
    To give you an example about how stupid the "geniuses" are I went to the apple store this morning just to prove a point:

I brought in my 320GB External HD with Mac OS X Lion installed on it. I partitioned the HD and granted 30GB to the Lion partition while the other 290 went to data storage and stuff. I then went to the apple store and asked the geniuses (after about 1 hour of waiting for other people to fix their "problems") if they could figure out a way to put a mac opperating system on an external HD. They guy I spoke to said that it was impossible to do that and that no one at apple had ever done it or could ever do it.

I then booted my mac into lion (holding down the option key while I turned the mac on) and showed the guy how I was booting Lion from my external HD.

He then proceeded to look at me and said and I QUOTE!! "Thats not really Mac OS X Lion, you must have altered snow leopard to look like lion, or this is just a fake."

The guy is an idiot. Theres no way that I can add the "Mission Control" feature, or the Launchpad feature onto snow leopard, I even displayed the "About This Mac" info.

Don't listen to anything they have to say unless your problems are trivial, like the battery is dead and you cant seem to figure out why the computer wont turn on.

The new season of South Park Episode basically sums it up pretty well, HumancentiPad, watch it.

19. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    quoted! ;)

20. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    yeh ive done this before... its easy ;) they are stupid. another example is when i took my iphone in because of a dead pixel (a simple thing that can be fixed with software) they said that nothing could be done i went home did a bit of searching found the software and had fixed it in about 1 hour. im sorry what was that? nothing can be done... haha