Dealing with a bad review...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by My Love Life, Feb 3, 2012.

1. My Love Life

My Love Life Well-Known Member

I just had a reviewer bash my app (so far almost all 5 start ratings)
    I found a bug & it's waiting for approval already ...

Is there any recourse?
    Any way to contact the reviewer?
    Anything I can do?

This particular reviewer seems to bash a lot of apps (their review history)

Aaaarrrrggghhh ... why didn't the reviewer just contact me? other reviews say how good I am in getting back to the suggestion or problem.

Frustrated!

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    The answers to your questions are: no, no and no.

You need to calm down first. This will happen again and again to you.
    If it is only one 1-star-rating out of several 4- and 5-star-ratings, just forget it. Most people don't pay attention to iTunes ratings today anyway (because there are a lot of jerks around), most people rely on reviews from websites and blogs. I never got a game just because of its iTunes ratings. Possibility of a shill or "bought ratings" is high.
    Also, only the ratings of the version released are shown when you open an app's page. Your ratings before need to be accessed seperately. So this 1-star-rating is not showing up directly as soon as the new version of your app goes live. And it is for the better that you can't get in contact the reviwer directly. This would mean that devs can have influence on their customer base. The sooner you can accept that rating, the better your sleep will be.

The only thing you can do is stating that you've fixed the problems that were adressed in the rating section.

3. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    :) :)
    Daily frustration... I have 50 five star in a row and I don't care, then I have one 2 stars and I'm pissed off for a week.

That's life. If you start caring about that too much, you just don't use your time well. Developer must make games, and improve them. Don't start to argue with the users. Just listen to them!

I mean, that's my wise peace of advise (and I can't do that myself so... good luck).

4. Unfortunately people will do things like leave a 1star review and just say "didnt like it" just because. I would recommend adding a "please review us!" hook into your game, and have it be after 5 minutes of play time (so they are engaged in the game) or after then win/accomplish something (so it's when they feel happiest with your game).

5. My Love Life

My Love Life Well-Known Member

Thank you all ... getting more calm.
    I know you are all right ... just needed to vent?
    I worked so hard & spent TONS of money getting this one out.

Cheers :)