Who here thinks diablo + roguelike would make a good game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #1 Jorlen, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    I can't get enough of games like diablo. That is, action RPGs that have heavy emphasis on loot and equipment slots. And, on the other hand, I love roguelikes.

What about a game that merges the two? So, take a roguelike game and add more equipment slots, and randomized loot, and maybe instead of just being dungeons from floor to floor, you reach an area that has merchants or something of the sort to allow for buying / selling equipment.

Thoughts?

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
  3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Well, my upcoming roguelike game will probably cover most of your interests :D

1) More loot, more variety of loot
    2) More types of equipment slots, more effects that items can bestow on characters
    3) More stats, and ways to affect them with items
    4) Merchant in game
    5) Not all floors are the same "dungeon" setting

Did I miss anything? It is still quite a way from completion unfortunately. Sometime in the next few weeks I'll start an "Upcoming" thread with more juicy details, but in the meantime you can pick up a bit of info in my forums ;)

4. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I think it could work, but the style is obviously different. Diablo is loot focused, and loot is 'meaningless' in a Roguelike because death is so quick and painful.

It sort of goes against the Roguelike philosophy perhaps, but one thing that might be cool is that there was some persistence across sessions. You die, but you get to carry maybe one piece of armor with you to the next session. That way, you can eventually pick up a pretty epic set, and feel like a badass. Unlike most roguelikes which I consider to be 'unbeatable', it would be nice to know that each time, you are making some progress towards winning.

5. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Sound really interesting!!! Can't wait for more details.

6. donner

donner Well-Known Member

just paly inethack.... thats all you'll ever need.

7. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Already done! Not much point in having "epic gear" sets if they are so rare you might only see one piece randomly every few dungeon dive attempts. By carrying over equipped items (not your entire pack or gold or stats), eventually through death and defeat you can piece together your ultimate badass gear set ;)

Of course that epic set of equipment is not enough to get you through the dungeon by itself... You may feel like a tough guy at the beginning, but you will need strategic "pack item" usage to get really far :)

8. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    I think it would be nice. And Your considerations about developing Diablo-like RPG, even with roguelike partials, sound terryifying.
    Please, keep us informed.

By the way - to the creator of this thread: don't You think You should write "Diablo" beginning with capital letter? Just to show the respect ;)

9. Raphie123

Raphie123 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Well, Necromancer Rising is an excellent game and does the job very well being a Dungeon Crawler/Loot game.

10. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Raphie: Thanks for the heads up, man! Instant purchase once I found out what it was!

Data: That's great news! Can't wait to see what you come up with next. Your Rogue Touch game was certainly amazing!

11. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Check out Dungeon Hunter by Gameloft

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sounds like you've got it all covered there, Mr! I too am anxiously awaiting your revelation of more details here.

13. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Thanks Jorlen, LordGek, GordonFreeman, and everyone else, for your support and interest! I really wish I could talk about more of the new game right now, but until I get enough of the pieces done its better to be vague... Certainly don't want to start an upcoming thread that people end up bored with before the game is even finished :)

All I can say is I'm going to make it worth the wait and hopefully provide fun, worthwhile gameplay for fans of most any type of RPG, adventure, dungeon crawler, or rogue-like!

In the meantime you can follow my twitter feed and forums for day by day stuff and early warnings of bigger news. ;)

14. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm horribly intrigued now, and yes, that is the right word.

I personally am not buying any more ARPGs, but I do love roguelikes.

15. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    +1 for this :) I just finished (lost) a 6-week long game of iNethack where my valkyrie was killed on level 49 by demogorgon with more gear and better stats than ever... Man that hurt!

I'm interested in CommanderData's game too though, I feel there is a lot of room for improvement in the 'rogue-like' games.

16. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

"Horribly Intriguing!" I like the sounds of that :D

Just to be clear, this is definitely going to be a roguelike, turn based and everything. On the other hand there's a storyline, dialog, and features that may be more familiar to people who played Diablo, Shiren the Wanderer, or (save us all) Pokemon. Yes, an odd mix to add to the intrigue. But perhaps I have said too much.

I'll leave you with one of the only two teaser images I've leaked to the internet for your enjoyment. The other is in my forums. I made this "tongue in cheek" snapshot to complain about having conversations in a roguelike, since I am sure someone will complain eventually ;)

[​IMG]

We've come a long ways since Rogue Touch! Great art and animation, new scenery, new gameplay mechanics... For more sneak peaks before I start an upcoming thread here keep an eye on my twitter feed or forums.

Soon I'll be ready to reveal more! Until then...

17. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Yay! :D

18. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Who put roguelike in my dialogue? Two great things...

19. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Necromancer Rising has a lot of loot in it, not quite up to Diablo, but close enough

20. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    graphics and art style

edit: nice roguelike by the looks of it