Universal Metal Slug Defense (by SNK Playmore)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 1, 2014.

1. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    #1941 Hyun, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Ver.1.16 Tier List Change

So since I'm only writing these down and its kinda hard to keep track of all Tier changes, I'll post the whole tier list every 5 update. Even though this one is 1.16, the next one with the full tier listing will be 1.20. Now have fun battling!

New Unit Tiers
    I'll begin with Ver.1.16 being a major disappointment. Was expecting a Keesi, but didn't get one. Just bad SNK, this is one of the worst updates in a while.

Flying Parasite: F Rank
    Seriously, what was SNK thinking when they were making this unit? "Yeah, let's take a slow moving, melee, MSA-vulnerable, slow production unit and sell it for 100 Medals!" SNK, stop smoking whatever you're smoking and actually work on an unit that works. Seriously in competition for the worst MSD unit after Commander and Hover Units.

Winged Invader: B Rank
    The only decent unit that came from this update and that says a lot about how bad this update is. Also, when it says range is Very Long, its more like Long, but SNK has been weird when determining ranges of unit *Cough Winter Bazooka's Special being Normal when it has infinite range Cough*. Seriously though, this unit isn't that useful, only thing that saves this unit is the fact his special can hit Hunter Walkers and even that take skill. There are better 150 medal units, but guess its still average?

UFO: C Rank
    Oh my goodness. This unit. Had SO much potential, but wasted cause of SNK. And it doesn't need to be much, it just needs to fly HIGHER. I could see this unit being at least A tier if it flew higher, countering mortars and being a faster hunter walker, but SNK decided to say screw you UFO.

Units that moved up (↑)
    Summary: I want to move up units, I seriously do. But there isn't many units that deserves to be moved up, only moved down. But I managed to find some units that are deserving to move up.

Rebel Mortar (B to A)
    Don't know how I missed this unit from moving it up, but now its moved up

Ptolemaic Slug (A to S-)
    This unit is extremely good, and now let it stack up and Hunter Walkers shouldn't be a problem at all.

Di-Cokka (B to A)
    A better unit thanks to the affiliation boost.

Girida-O (B to A)
    Ditto

Di-Cokka Ver.P.M (A to S-)
    I decided to remove the * to indicate its can ranked higher if it has a deck built around, as this unit is super flexible, and as a 200 AP drop, its amazing. Long range, great damage and large HP pool for a 200 drop (7500 HP)

Girida-O Ver.P.M (A to S-)
    Same reason as Di-Cokka Ver.P.M. Its a good substitute if you do not want to run the Di-Cokka Ver.P.M, costs 20 ap less and only missing 500 HP. This unit is notorious for being the hype of the forums for the mid-game and is a rare unit that can handle both all stages of the game. Also ignore the Airborne Melty Honey's ability to force attacks to it.

SV-001 Experimental (B to A)
    An extremely well rounded support unit and is still bulky. Has anti-air with its special, seems like all cannon shots does anti-air damage. Is also extremely cheap at 100 medals. Nearly a must pick if you're low on medals and want a bulky support unit.

Monoeye (C To B)
    Only reason it was buffed was the fact this unit is the only one that can hit Hunter Walkers easily. Finally the height of these Monoeye comes to its advantage! *Note will die to Hunter Walkers quickly if not taken care of quickly, thats why it isn't ranked higher.*

Mutated Soldier (D To C)
    Weird unit to place higher in the tier list, but trust me, someone convinced me that it was actually usable. It was able to shut down my winter bazooka and Tar Man opening, as it moves quickly and since the hit box is so low, Tar Men can barely hit them. Will it cause the fall of Tar Man though? Probably not.

Units that moved up (↓)
    Summary: It's the downfall of a lot of S- units, I'll tell you that.

Robot Morden (S- To A)
    Move out of the way, Robot Morden, you're only good for frontal shielding and that's not even needed for a wall not. Taller or floating walls with frontal shielding is what we need, not just one of the two.

R.R-Shobu (S- To A)
    Ah, Hunter Walkers. How you punish these Shobus for sticking around and trying to deal damage. Well played.

Black Hound (S- To A)
    Black Hound simply does not do enough things to be worth is his cost. 300 AP for 7500 HP, not so damaging damage compared to other units, special that barely can be used. If SNK knocked his AP cost to 225~250, I can see this unit going back to S-.

Guerrilla Mortar (A to B)
    Worst mortar. Shortest range and crappy special. Even if it can strike Hunter Walkers with its special, its not enough as its not moving. So yeah, maybe you can prevent Hunter Walker's ability of anti-stalemate, but the Hunter Walker will eventually win.

Elephant Slug (B to C)
    Please SNK, please lower this thing's AP cost, its simply too weak to stand in the metagame for 400 AP.

Full Tier Listing​
    Note: * Means can be tiered higher if a deck was built around it (E.G Affiliation HP Boost)

===S+ Tier (Extremely Strong)===
    Hi-Do
    Airborne Melty Honey
    Tar Man

===S- Tier (Very Strong)===
    Jupiter King
    Donald Morden
    Metal Rear
    Shoe*
    Karn*
    W. Mortar*
    Protogunner
    Slug Flyer
    LV Armor*
    Hunter Walker
    Ptolemaic Slug (↑) (A To S-)
    Di-Cokka Ver.P.M (↑) (A To S-)
    Girida-O Ver.P.M (↑) (A To S-)

===A Tier (Strong)===
    Robot Morden (↓) (S- To A)
    R.R-Shobu* (↓) (S- To A)
    Black Hound (↓) (S- To A)
    Girida-O* (↑) (B To A)
    Di-Cokka* (↑) (B To A)
    SV-001 Experimental* (↑) (B To A)
    Vanguard
    Patrol Bot
    Clone Fio
    Clone Eri
    Claw Unit
    W. Bazooka
    Native
    Hazmat Soldier
    Ralf
    R-Shobu*
    Elite Arabian Soldier
    Cyborg Allen O'Neil
    Bear
    Drill Slug
    Special Force (Rider)
    Mars Mecha
    Rebel Mortar

===B Tier (Average)===
    Monoeye* (↑) (C To B)
    Guerrilla Mortar (↓) (A to B)
    Winged Invader (New Unit)
    Invader
    Donkey Slug
    Scientist Zombie
    MG Unit
    SV-001 Type R
    Slug Gunner
    Zombie Marco
    Regimental MH-6s
    MH-6s
    Leona
    Clark
    Saurbia Ver.P.M
    Iron Iso
    Trevor
    Giant Caterpillar
    Samurai Tank
    Zombie Rebel
    Sasquatch
    Slugnoid
    Ring Laser Mecha
    Hyuakutaro
    Trevor (Mummy)
    Mars People Cadre
    Slug Copter
    Augenstern
    Iron Nokana Mk. II
    Iron Nokana

===C Tier (Situational)===
    UFO (New Unit)
    Elephant Slug (↓) (B to C)
    Utan
    Melty Honey
    Saurbia
    Drill Slug Ver.2
    W.Rifleman*
    W.Rocket Bomb*
    Rebel Rocket Bomb
    Well Soldiers
    Marco & Fio Monkey*
    Nadia
    Flying Tara Ver.P.M*
    Flying Tara
    Ohumein-Conga (All colors)
    Gunner Unit (Gunnner Unit in-game)
    Big Snail
    Metal Claw
    Bradley (Rebel)
    Bradley (P.F)
    W.Rebel Infantry
    Fat Eri
    Hopper Mecha
    W.Soldier
    Mutated Soldier (↑) (D To C)

===D/F Tier (Never Used or Rarely Used)===
    Flying Parasite (New Unit)
    Invader UFO
    Flying Killers
    Special Forces
    Bazooka Guerrilla
    Guerrilla
    Shielded Guerrilla
    Bazooka Rebel
    Rebel Soldier
    Rebel Rifleman
    Shielded Rebel
    Gatling Soldier
    Bikers
    Trevor & Nadai (Monkey)
    Fattish Zombie
    Zombie Man
    Zombie Woman
    MV-280B
    Mini UFO*
    Samurai Infantry
    Mummy
    Dog Mummy
    Arabian Fighter
    Arabian Soldier
    Camel Rider
    Chowmein-Conga
    Anti Air-Craft
    Spike Bunker
    Man Eater
    W.Shielded Soldier
    Snowman
    Mars People*
    Samurai Planes
    Marco
    Eri
    Tarma
    Fio
    Fat Marco
    Fat Tarma
    Fat Fio
    Soldier
    10Mil Taro
    Abul Abbas
    Ostrich Slug
    SV-Camel
    SV-001
    Commander
    All Unit Spawners (E.G 3-Ton, Mummy Generator)

2. casualgamer27

casualgamer27 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    VentusEX and Hyun both gave great advice.

Most important is to put in 1 late game finisher (jupiter king, Hi-do, Donald Morden) to replace cyborg allen. Then work on taking out spider slug for another 200-300 unit that is mainly for attack. I think native should be replaced with tarman too. All the other units do have their uses, just that there is some redundancy haha

btw, I know this has been asked many times... How do you guys take out hunter walker when it is spawned early in the game? The ptol slug special attack hits it but will not kill the hunter walker. The slug flyer has to be very high in the sky for the special to hit. By the time shoe or karn can be spawned it already walked away. The hunter walker needs a bigger hit box...

3. casualgamer27

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks Hyun for the updated tier list! I'm sure everyone, including all the lurkers (yes you non-members) reading this forum, appreciate the guide.

4. anistoona

anistoona Member

Jan 21, 2015
    One of the reasons that made me join this forum is Hyun, thank you very much for your remarkable effort Hyun :)

Hey guys, look what I have found !! Someone had bring street fighter heros in the game :D

[​IMG]

5. Tizona

Tizona Active Member

Jan 26, 2013
    New and clean start.

So I decided to play this game and OMG it's awesome.

However, I stuck at area 6 world 1. Yes, I know I am a total noob. I haven't use medal like at all. All I have is starting unit. 4 protagonists and a basic tank. That's it. I have freed all POW in area 1-5 though.

I can't find video which show me how to beat area 6 with regular unit. S rank video in particular use high tier unit which I don't have. It gaveme a headache.

6. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Glad I was able to get some people to be vocal here!
    That's Daimon, from SNK's King of Fighter's series. If I was going to speculate, its probably coming when MSD reaches 20 Million downloads. But then again, I was wrong with Keesi speculation ;-;

7. F-8

F-8 Active Member

Jan 24, 2015
    So Hyun, how do you found Airborne Melty useful, I bought it and I scrapped it after days I use it

8. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2014
    #1948 Hyun, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    I'm just gonna requote myself with adding another point

You might think its weird, I placed the Airborne Melty Honey as S+, but the normal Melty Honey in C. Well here are my reasons for Airborne Melty Honey's superiority:
    1. Airborne Melty Honey is knockback resistant, where the normal Melty Honey gets knocked back quite a bit. (Although once the Airborne Melty Honey becomes grounded, they lose that ability)
    2. This knockback resistant also allows the Airborne Melty Honey to actually deal damage, something the normal Melty Borne can't do as often.
    3. Airborne Melty Honey's special allows it to hit close range air units (Hi-Do being the most popular)
    4. Also being airborne also lowers to screen from the front and top, something only expensive walls were able to do. This protects very important units from Hi-Do's special, mortars and the normal attacks.
    5. Once it lands, it becomes a normal Melty Honey, so by having Airborne Melty Honey essentially puts the Melty Honey in your deck without it being there. This is an actually a key reason I tiered the normal Melty Honey as Situational.
    6. It now redirect some attacks into the air into the Melty Honey, removing more frontal damage.
    7. 210 AP for 10k HP wall? Best AP to HP ratio in game right now, and it usually lasts until another can take its place.

9. xmani3k

xmani3k Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Good Job! :cool:

10. Fra

Fra Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Great job for the tier list, Hyun! SNK should read this and your analysis and take some ideas.

11. F-8

F-8 Active Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Nice one Hyun, looks like you can be a SNK developer for MSD

12. F-8

F-8 Active Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Somehow, I think the tar man is quite OP, because it has low AP cost, high attack power, and fast cool down. This makes the decks it has tar man unstoppable in early games or short maps

13. xmani3k

xmani3k Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2014
    F-8, stop to quote the entire post, you litter page.

14. F-8

F-8 Active Member

Jan 24, 2015
    OK sorry for any inconvenience.

15. VentusEX

VentusEX Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Pto slug + protogunner can take down hunters walkers easily, you can use lv armor special to hit it but it's kinda tricky.

16. casualgamer27

Jan 30, 2015
    Thanks for the tip against hunter walker. I think the problem is that the hunter walker only costs 150 ap and its difficult to take down early on (takes a 220 ap unit or 300 to effectively take it out), but it does get easy to take out when it gets mid to late game.

Yah I also agree that Tar man is a bit overpowered because of the quick production rate for a unit that has high health and good range. I think its especially important to balance out the lower ap units. A good start in the beginning of the match really gives a big edge.

17. F-8

F-8 Active Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Still, we need a health nerf for tar men

18. watashi101

watashi101 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Does anyone ever wonder why Hunter Walker is not in the tier list ;)

19. F-8

F-8 Active Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Probably it is very versatile in all tiers?

20. casualgamer27

Jan 30, 2015
    I think other lower ap units just need a buff, instead of nerf to tar man. Its such a waste how so many units are not used because they are not competitive.

Hunter walker is not on list so no one uses it... haha