Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by KiddToKmart, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cotton julius

cotton julius Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I suggest you read the books first, and then watch the show. At last i believe you will got a deeper understanding of it.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #42 backtothis, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
    Wish I had the time, heh.

Time for episodes 4 and 5! Then, we'll be half-way done. Excited to see story progress.

Edit: Girlfriend insists we watch episode 6 too..lol. Guessing someone is going to die pretty soon. 6 episodes in two days. Good pace..

Damn, it's really getting good now. Only two more to go though :[. Two tomorrow and two for the weekend I guess.

3. Ninja J

Ninja J Active Member

Mar 28, 2012
    I watched the movies but no book. We all know the book is always better than the movie.

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just finished another two. Shit's getting bad to say the least, but that's expected considering the series will span 7 seasons should it make it to the end. Will save the last two for another day. Sadly, I read a spoiler on Yahoo! one day months ago about the Ned dying. Sucks we're losing our main protagonist so soon.

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #45 backtothis, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    Home for the weekend, and just remembered I had HBO HD. Finished watching episode 9 a few minutes..wow, wtf. Not in the mood for the last episode anymore. Joffrey..f**k that kid. Will finish up later in any case since the second season starts tomorrow! On the bright side, it's a lot more entertaining watching the series on the big screen.

Edit: Pretty unspectacular ending. Second season should be interesting though to say the least.

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Really? I thought it was great. Nothing splits people's opinions like endings do though, I guess.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Watched the first episode of season 2 there I have to say it didn't really grip me at all I've just watched it and I can't think of one interesting thing about it plotwise, I also lost complete interest on the second book when I was reading them and stopped there so that doesn't bode to well for season 2.

If you like the game of thrones books I'd say your better off with one of the following.

Eragon Series
    Codex Alera Series
    Kingkiller Chronicles (only two books so far but third should be soon)

I enjoyed all of the above more in both their writing and plots but I'm not a huge fantasy reader so I'm sure I'm missing lots of others.

8. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Inheritance and plot dont go together. The plot is star wars rewritten in a fantasy setting. I enjoyed it yes but its a bit much to give it credit when it was written in the 70/80s.

On a brighter note loved the episode and its great to have the series back. I managed to keep my own hype down but I still couldnt wait for it to come back.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What I think a lot of people fail to understand is that A Song of Ice and Fire is a dense series of books. It's not an exaggeration at all to say that converting one of the books into a ten episode season is only giving viewers an extreme cliffsnotes-style overview of the universe. However, the grand setup in each of the books creates an environment where shit gets real, and arguably more real than any other fantasy series I've read.

Anyway, if you're even vaguely into the Game of Thrones TV show and you're not actively reading through the books you're basically cheating yourself out of an incredible story and instead are choosing to be baby-birded by HBO producers.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It was a pretty decent first episode. It opened a lot of plot lines. I'm interested in seeing how the second season plays out.

11. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I wanted to watch the series first then go back and read the books, as I've always done the opposite for every other popular fantasy series.

The premier only reignited my anger towards Joffrey. Little f**ker deserves to get raped hard core. Incest bastard asshat. He is such a good actor but man do I dispise him.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Episode 2 of Season 2 was definitely interesting..just watched it.

13. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    i only watched the first couple of episodes and quite enjoyed it!

14. Peewhy

Peewhy Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Qft!

15. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    I watch Game of Thrones via HBO GO on my iPad 3 and I really enjoy it! Excellent show

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Just watched the latest one. Now that was a good episode. Extremely eventful.

17. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    finished the first season, i basically stayed up all night and watched the last 4 episodes in a row. :p

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Finally watched last week's episode. I was literally shuddering at the end. What the bloody hell. It gets grosser and grosser. Best episode so far this season though. Joffrey is a freak. Cersei, lol. The Red Witch..

19. stimutak

stimutak Member

Apr 27, 2009
    game dev, musician
    NYC
    Eli-- I was just trying to figure out which podcast you and Brad were discussing that you were reading this series, and (if memory serves...) Brad was warning you not to go past a certain book he thought was the right one to end with.

Now that its months later, do you recommend the full series (I'm talking books)? I'm thoroughly enjoying the first so far, but really thought i remember Brad putting on the beatdown at some point, and I certainly want to remain on Lord Bradley's good side.

Cheers,
    Oliver.

20. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    the past two episodes felt kind of mellow. guess the crazier more dramatic events are saved for the last couple of episodes of the season. can't wait!