Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Jan 19, 2011.

1. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    I have to say, I'm pretty satisfied with the 3DS's 2013 line up, especially with the new Pokemon games. Glad that Nintendo is going to start giving it more serious support- first two years, the first party line up has pretty much sucked.

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I don't think Pokemon is "first party" is it? The Pokemon Company is a separate company. I guess they are tied together closely, but TPC works independently. Thus the releases of a pokedex on iOS. Nintendo would never do that.

3. Nintendo owns the Pokemon IP and most of TPC's stock, I believe. They probably can make some of their own decisions though.

4. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Yeah- TPC is a subsidiary of Nintendo. And while TPC made the decision to bring Pokedex to iOS, I wouldn't say Nintendo wouldn't support the idea of a Pokedex app on iOS- it's just a companion app to the latest Pokemon games. Nintendo themselves said they would put apps on smartphones, but not games, just companion apps to their games and hardware.

GameFreak is a separate company, but only develops for Nintendo systems. They're pretty much like Insomniac used to be.

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Thank you, Sam. You're a legend. :)

6. Capcom, Namco Bandai, and Sega's crossover SRPG/brawler just got announced for release in North America and Europe this summer. Between Project X Zone, Soul Hackers, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Pokemon X/Y, the 3DS is having one hell of a year. I'm not sold on either the original 3DS (ugly 3-layer design, poor build quality) or 3DS XL (too big) hardware yet, but I'll be buying one as soon as Nintendo releases the next 3DS revision.

7. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Gunman Clive is the best downloadable game. Really nice style and very fun.

8. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I'm fairly certain Nintendo announced there will be no new hardware or game console revisions in the coming year. You might just wanna jump in and buy an XL.

On another note, I can't wait for Fire Emblem. It's probably one of my favorite Nintendo series.

9. #1069 Haruhi, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
    I've tried the 3DS XL and decided it isn't for me. I can wait a year or two since I still have a ton of PS3/Vita/Steam games in my backlog to go through.

Edit: Does the Wii Mini count as a revision? That came out in Canada just a few weeks after Thanksgiving.

10. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I think they were talking about 2013 not 2012

11. Thats not a revision, thats a total downgrade

12. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    3DS this year is shaping up nicely, glad I kept it. I might even upgrade to an XL now.

13. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Same. I was on the verge of selling it prior to Christmas, but I'm really glad I didn't- especially with the new Pokémon games coming. Still not particularly satisfied with the way Nintendo has been handling it so far.

I'd say that upgrading to the XL is worth it, but only if you can find a decent deal on it, or for your old 3DS. I like it a lot better than my old 3DS, and it actually has a decent design. Only thing is, I wish that they either had the all black XL, or the silver XL available in the US.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The XL is definitely better, but I don't like the color choices. I wish they'd make some new ones. Preferably all black. Or black and white (combination)

15. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    The XL is way to big... The normal 3ds is the perfect size, no reason for a XL

16. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Not at all, it's the perfect size. The original was much too tiny and hurt my hands after long sessions. After experiencing an XL the original's 3-layer design feels cheap compared to the solid feel of the XL. Best upgrade in my opinion.

17. Joyomi

Joyomi Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Virginia
    I understand, I do like the huge screens and feel. But it does not seem like a worthy upgrade.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yeah, I can't play the original 3DS long before my hands cramp up. It's too small for comfortable play. However I don't have extended use experience with the XL to know if it really solves that problem. I can only presume so.

19. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon will have co-op multiplayer for up to four people. It supports local, online, and download-play (for friends that don't have the game), and is called hunter mode- no other modes have been confirmed, but the word 'mode' behind hunter suggests that there may be more modes, possibly a mode like Luigi's Ghost Mansion in Nintendo Land for the Wii U?

In hunter mode, you play with three other players as multi-colored Luigi's, and work together to take down ghosts to clear levels. Levels are randomly generated, and the enemies are random as well. There is a timer, and you must finish the level before time runs out in order to move onto the next level. There are three different difficulties, as well as the ability to select how many levels to play a game for (infinite mode included).

Trailer:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/24/more-details-on-luigis-mansion-dark-moon-multiplayer

20. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    I might get a 3ds when Pokemon x is released..wasn't really interested before then.. Except the 3d mario game.. That's tempting ..and luigis mansion. Might have to invest in one in a coupla months