Press Release help?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by JCik68, Feb 10, 2010.

1. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    Hey guys,

can you tell me about your experience with press releases? I have sent PR with screenshots, gameplay trailer link and all information I found useful to some of "30 pages where to promote your game" from other topic, but so far no luck with news articles about friends game game.

What are your experience with press releases? Did any of iphone sites features your PR in news article? If yes, how long since you send PR?

Thank you very much for any input as I am currently trying to find if there is problem with me or any other reason why I keep failing.

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #2 Big Albie, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
    Press releases are just a tool, and by themselves will not generate media interest or coverage. What you needed to do was develop an overall marketing strategy focusing on the key strengths/differentiators of your game. From there, you develop a series of tactics to generate awareness.

These tactics include a social media/viral aspect, reviews, and general briefings. Even without knowing what your game is, these are the necessary steps to building pre- and post-game release awareness. Way too often, I hear devs waiting until after the game is released to start generating awareness. That's too late, and you've missed building the anticipation and momentum necessary.

Pre-launch, you need to develop awareness through social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. These are tools that you should utilize throughout your campaign. For the gaming sites/outlets, you need to contact them in advance providing the details of the game (video and adhoc builds if available). You don't even need a press release at this stage. I'm assuming you've been here on TA, but you should also be participating at other sites with forums such STP and TMA.

Post launch, you need to continue to do this. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you should keep that in mind in generating awareness. It takes time especially if you're on a budget. Again, a lot of the momentum is generated pre-launch.

I do marketing for a living, and while I just threw out a bunch of ideas, developing a plan is key. You really need to think through all this, and unfortunately, too many think the game will sell itself which just isn't the case.

Having said all this, it still comes down to your game and whether it's even worthwhile. I hate to be blunt about it, but games are a dime a dozen (literally), and unless there is something especially appealing or differentiated about it, then no PR or hype will help.

3. Agreed. Sites pretty well never post the PRs themselves. They're just ways to make people aware of your product -- kind of a digital brochure but usually just with words.

Starting buzz amongst sites is important. Starting threads here in "upcoming" for example, making people aware of your Twitter/Facebook accounts and tweeting updates periodically, and things like that are good ways to get the word out prior to launch so you (hopefully) create some desire and anticipation that'll be ripe at launch. Once it's out, submitting to a bunch of review sites, and once again starting release threads, maybe throwing a few promo codes around to generate some day one App Store reviews is a good way to get the ball rolling once it makes its debut in the App Store. When it's out it's important to engage the masses in forums and through tweets and Facebook posts, in essence becoming a part of the community you're pitching to. The forum communities are pretty small compared to the masses you're aiming for, but engaging them gets you respect points, especially if you listen to an implement sensible changes or suggestions on a regular basis.

Updates are important too, assuming your app needs or could use them. They keep things fresh, feed new content, and show that you're active with the project and keeping things rolling on an ongoing basis. A lite version I think is also important if it's going to cost.

In short: Plug, have a sample tray at the ready, discuss, listen, and schmooze, but don't hang your hopes on press releases. I used to get them frequently when I ran my review site but rarely did anything with them. I was far more likely to review something if the developer either contacted me personally or submitted their app or game with a promo code to have me check it out.

4. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

I guess Big Albie and Mindfield pretty much summed everything up! I would just like to emphasize that you should ALWAYS start building hype about your game BEFORE release (not just after) BUT NOT TOO EARLY to the point that someone beats you to your own idea. Good luck! :)

5. JCik68

JCik68 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    student
    Slovakia
    thank you guys very much!