App Rejected, But No Idea Why

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by tsunami0ne, May 27, 2009.

1. tsunami0ne

tsunami0ne Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    For a month now, I've been trying to submit an upgrade for my app, but everytime I get this rejection notice:

--------------
    Thank you for submitting 30 and Dirty to the App Store. We've reviewed 30 and Dirty and determined that we cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store because it does not adhere to the iPhone Application Programming Guide as outlined in iPhone SDK Agreement section 3.3.5;

"Applications must comply with the Human Interface Guidelines and other Documentation provided by Apple."

On an iPod touch, it is not possible to turn on vibration though your application may feature vibration functionality. Please refer to the attached screenshot.

Please take a look at the "Triggering vibration" section from the iPhone Application Programming Guide.
    <http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOSProgrammingGuide/iPhoneAppProgrammingGuide.pdf>

In order for your application to be reconsidered for the App Store, please resolve these issues and upload your new binary to iTunes Connect.

Should you require more assistance with resolving these issues, Apple Developer Technical Support is available to provide direct one-on-one support for discrete code-level questions. Please be sure to include any crash logs, screenshots or steps to reproduce these issues in your request.

-----------------------

Has anyone gotten that excuse before? From reading that, I just assumed they want me to turn off vibration, but my game does not feature vibration at all..... Any idea what could be wrong?

2. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    You have leave the most important evidence for us to help you...

What is on that screenshot exactly? Normally Apple show you exactly the offending items. Maybe you are showing some kind of alert that should have a vibration? Or the way you say something implies that it should?

Fred

3. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

You have to really press them for specifics... but they will eventually give you more info. It tooks days for them to finally tell me which one of our characters looked too much like a public figure for them to approve. Very frustrating.

4. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    The quick route would be to resubmit and specify iPhone-only. Then, you can take some time and figure out what to do about the touch.

5. tsunami0ne

Nov 30, 2008
    hahah, that's the thing! They didn't attach a screenshot at all!

6. tsunami0ne

Nov 30, 2008
    Alright thanks guys, I'll just re-submit. I sent them an email asking them to be more specific, and they just told me to re-submit it... SIGH.

7. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    what they are saying is,

1. write your ui like apple or at least make it good lol

2. if you have things like vibrate or camera etc settings only make the settings visible to someone who can actually use it. eg. if you have a twitter app and have an option to post pictures, dont show ipod users a button to get a picture from the camera.

3. this is the biggest thing..
    dont expect your app to ever make it in, that way you arnt let down when they actually reject you for a bs reason, cause now it seems like they rejected you because you are noob :D

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sounds like bureaucratic BS to me BUT are they whining about your virtual d-pads perhaps? You clearly have them, I think nicely, off the play screen whereas most of the arena shooters pull the whole semi-transparent thing IN the playfield. My best guess is they have no sense of humor and since now they're even trying to flag, "Hotdog Down a Hallway" they're thinking your game needs some special "mature rating" but they have yet to create such a automated note to this effect? They F'n owe you AT LEAST an explanation, GOSH DANG IT!

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    As reasonable as this sounds I find this unlikely since I can't begin to count how many games on my iPod Touch list vibrate options although the iPod Touch HAS NO ABILITY TO VIBRATE (or does it, I've never experienced this)!

10. PDJApps

PDJApps Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Yeah the whole system is pretty flawed. I've had many strange rejections. One was a simple "knock on wood" app... i made it free, and they rejected it saying it was too simple. Understandable, until I searched for knock on wood in the app store and saw that someone had made a similar app and it was accepted. I'm glad they didn't accept mine, at least some quality control, but they don't seem consistent. Considering the hundreds of press a button to make a fart sound apps :)

11. drunknbass

drunknbass Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2008
    thats the thing... some things slip past some reviewers and not others.. also some seem much more strict.

thepeople who do things wrong and slip past sometimes will get caught the 2nd time around when they update the app and someone who is paying attention reviews it. thats why lots of devs say "stupid apple rejected my app update for something i didnt even change".

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    New almost political conspiracy theory!

This is an outright delaying tactic until OS 3.0 hits the scene!

From what I've heard OS 3.0 will add an almost movie rating system so concerned parents or what-have-you can block out stuff. So while back in the day they'd let this slip by now they can be twits until their rating system hits and they can tag this with their PG-13 like rating. They can't just outright reject it on grounds of obscenity, because it isn't but I'm willing to bet they now are making it more difficult for the 100 fart machiners to update as well.

13. tsunami0ne

Nov 30, 2008
    hahaha man, the version of 30 and dirty that's out in app stores now is like 1% as obscene as my original vision... :(

14. tsunami0ne

Nov 30, 2008
    Actually, I have a new theory as to what the problem could be.

I totally forgot that I removed the Facebook Connect login button in 30 and Dirty Lite because Apple was giving me the same shit for 30 and Dirty Lite and I had no idea what was wrong, so I started pulling features out.

30 and Dirty 1.2 still has the button. So that might be it. Although it still kind of doesn't make sense because if you push the button and don't have a net connection, you get an error message saying that you don't....