Text-based Zombie Games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Mephala, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Mephala

Mephala Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    I really enjoyed ZDay and Escape from the Dead, both text-based zombie apocalypse games where you can arm yourself with weapons and items and your decisions influence future outcomes. They also share the same gritty comic graphic style which works really well. Only problem is they are both short games and end far too quickly. Do you have any recommendations on similar games? Thanks in advance.

2. XvEsunavX

XvEsunavX Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Have you tried the sequel to zday? It's pretty boss. Also for the PC I know of a zombie survival roguelike that's ASCII if youre interested. It's found on zooptek. I forget if its .org or .net but it kept me busy for days trying to survive the last event.

3. Mephala

Jun 14, 2013
    Yup I did but found the location based config sent me in a loop and I got nowhere. I should go back and check it out again. Maybe they've updated it since.

Thanks! I'll go check out zooptek.

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It's not completely text based (minigames too), but have you played Organ Trail?

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Agreed. You don't know what you're missing if you haven't played that game.

6. Mephala

Jun 14, 2013
    Have not tried it as I wasn't too excited about the graphics but will definitely take a second look.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    To repeat a recommendation I wrote a while back, you should take a look at Zombie Exodus, which is a well-written, quite lengthy Choice gamebook that currently spans four chapters with a final fifth chapter on the way. It has a lot of depth and replayability: there are RPG elements in terms of character development and background (events in the game can play out differently depending on your profession pre-zombie apocalypse, for example), quite a lot of exclusive either/or scenarios and actions within those scenarios, and numerous decisions you can make that will come back to haunt/reward you much later.

Overall, it feels a lot like The Walking Dead does when that series focuses more on the day-to-day survival choices and relationships of real people living in that situation, and less on unnecessarily padded-out soap opera.

8. Tenshi2520

Tenshi2520 Member

Jun 10, 2012
    English Teacher
    Japan
    Choice of Zombies

Choice of Zombies is a gamebook app that's so similar to Zombie Exodus that I thought they might be the same story. In actuality, they are different stories, though they play pretty much the same as gamebooks. If you like either one, you'll probably like the other.

9. Mephala

Jun 14, 2013
    I grabbed Zombie Exodus and finished the first 2 chapters and bought the third. Very immersive but I had to stop to eat. :) Will definitely get Choice of Zombies too when I'm done. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I played Choice of Zombies and it was one of the better Choice of games...

11. Mephala

Jun 14, 2013
    Thanks! Still on Chapter 3 of Exodus so will grab Choice of Zombies when I finish. There's nothing like ZDay though, which has some inventory management and battling too?