Why do people hate IAP?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Foursaken_Media, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I still don't get it... maybe I won't ever get it, but I really don't understand the huge aversion to IAP.

From my perspective its simple... you don't HAVE to buy any IAP.... ever. Yes, there are a few games that try to forcefeed IAP down your throat to enjoy the game to its fullest, but really, how is paying in increments any different then just paying one lump sum, except you actually have options as to what you want to buy and don't? And what about games that have IAPs as extra options, not actually as main parts of the game (extra characters, extra level packs, extra items, etc)

Like take the freemium Gameloft games for ex. People were complaining in droves over the IAP, when in reality its almost exactly the same as paying for a full version, only you get to try it for free first... how is that bad? Its the same cost, same game, same everything, except you get to demo it first...

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for their opinions of course, I'd just like to better understand the negative thoughts on IAP, and what situations you don't mind paying for them?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #2 MidianGTX, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    Some of the more valid reasons I've heard are:

1) iPod Touch owners who don't have access to WiFi, if it doesn't come through iTunes they can't get it.

2) If the game ever gets removed from the store they'll still have it on their Mac/PC but the IAP will have been disabled and can't be recovered. They like the added security of the game being completely self-contained.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Because all games should be free, with 80 hours of gameplay, MMO-scale online multiplayer, and free virtual reality goggles. In other words, iOS gamers have a hilarious entitlement complex from indie developers bending over backwards to try to pander to them for the past few years.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Someone needs a diaper change, huh?

Just kidding Hodapp. I see someone's annoyed today, heh.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Not annoyed at all, that's the real answer though. It all comes down to entitlement.

6. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, no kidding. You should post on the topic more often since most people don't seem to ever understand when anyone short of admin status tries to convey anything here.

7. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Agreed. That's sad, but true.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #8 MidianGTX, Mar 23, 2011
    To be honest my real answer is that I just prefer it. I can't explain why. It's not for the reasons I posted or the one you did, I just like buying the whole package in one swift transaction right at the beginning. Foursaken_Media is right to be confused if other people think like me too, because I don't know the reason either.

Edit: Actually I have thought of something... my router doesn't like my iPod and regularly disconnects making downloading straight to the device slower and unreliable. If it's just an 100KB unlock key or whatever it doesn't matter, but much more could be problematic.

9. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

With a statement like the one above by Hodapp, guess this thread should be closed.

Why keep the thread open when it has been proclaimed there cannot be a legitimate reason for people to not be fond of IAP and DLC.

My own opinion is I have no real issue and have bought several add-ons through IAP but have not actually bought a game through this method.

Just not seen a game or app that has motivated me to buy it, just me I guess.

I do see a certain amount of truth in the statement by Hodapp but to just label it as the only reason is shortsighted and terribly ill informed.

Lumping all users into one category just does not lead to a constructive conversation about an issue.

David

10. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

I have no problem with IAP in theory but I do feel like some companies have abused the feature.

1. When Pac-Man CE and Ridge Racer were released both games were $2.99 for a smaller portion of content then the $3.99 IAP released at the same time. Basically this was just an excuse to get people to buy a game thinking it was $3 when actually it was $7.

2. Developers have taken advantage of "password loophole" in games clearly targeting young children like Smurfs. It's not their fault the loophole existed but when you're marketing a game toward kids should you really be including $100 IAP options anyway?

3. Games using the new demo + full game IAP model are rocketing up to the top of the free charts even though they technically aren't free. Maybe this is in part to combat piracy but it also seems like a lot of people blindly download thinking it's free and then delete it without buying the full game yet this doesn't effect their standing on the charts.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Hi,

Where did I say it was the only answer to the question?

Eli

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I've had similar issues before with my internet. iTunes or my device would be much more bearable if iTunes had a reliable download manager which didn't automatically restart the download when the internet goes down...it's especially problematic with larger files.

13. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #13 bigrand1, Mar 23, 2011
    Yes. Definitely true! Also, say you upgrade and get another device, then they can't be recovered either. These are actually legitimate reasons other than the ones that have been presented that say they just don't like it, however, I agree with that too!

14. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    When I buy something I want it complete I don't want the developer trying to tack on stuff to charge me for later or lock down features to charge me for later. That's really as simply as I can put it.

I don't know how many apps I've avoided I would have bought if it wasn't for them having IAP but it's definitely in double figures already.

You might not agree with me but this is how I and probably thousands of others feel about IAP there are other issues with it as well but that's the biggest one.

I'm prepared to pay higher for a complete app than one I feel has a chance of having constant IAP purchases added to it each update.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I'm not sure how much I agree with these.

1. This is just the fault of uninformed consumers if anyone fell prey to this. I mean even a cursory Google search of Ridge Racer would have revealed how the game is being sold. Heck, even reading the iTunes description in its entirety mentions the in-game shop. A fool and their money are soon parted.

2. What keeps getting overlooked in this is that since the advent of IAP there has also been parental restrictions built in to the OS that locks out all kinds of things including IAP. This kind of reminds me of the people who incessantly complain about voice chat on XBOX Live not being appropriate for their kids. Again, uninformed consumers who can't read the documentation on the devices they buy.

3. Ehh... How would you modify the charts? I mean, they games -are- free to download, the top charts count by download. This isn't really any worse than the tricks freemium game developers use to push players to other games. (i.e. download free game X to get virtual currency Y in free game Z.) People who do that just delete those too. Really it's the fault of Apple that they've created this virtual economy that depends so heavily on your game charting to see any level of success.

16. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Post mo.5 where you post this.
    Implication is certainly there that you consider this the reason, meaning one.

David

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Hi,

Hopefully you can get even more irritating and pedantic before retiring from the forums again.

Eli

18. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

So you'll agree the first two are examples of developers using the IAP to essentially trick people, in what way is that not abusive?

I'd have the "free + full game IAP" apps show up under the paid app section, they clearly qualify as such. It's not a perfect solution but it would put the games on equal footing with the rest of the paid apps.

19. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

When did I retire?

Hurling insults to those with dissenting opinions is a great way to defend your opinion, maybe not.

David

20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This is his site lol...