Underplayed games & hidden gems

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Darth Ronfar, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Thanks. Love the art style in the screenshots.

Don't see a thread for it in iPhone/iPod games. If there is one, can you provide the link, I'll put it back on the first page, give it some attention. If not, I'll make my own thread

And do you have more impressions? I like to spread the word for overlooked games on Reddit and NeoGAF.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It's a bit 'puzzle', platform shooter. Difficult to describe. Plays very well, fair few levels. And yes perhaps because of Limbo people might like the style of graphics in this one. Works very well

Original thread here....

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=112873

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Actually, i think ALL orangepixel (search for Pascal Bestebroer) PLATFORMERS are recommended. :)

Wasnt a big fan of Neoteria which Pascal's take on shmups, but it was pretty good too.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Some runners i think are underplayed but deserve more attention:

Kinito Ninja
    Monkey Ninja
    IX-Runner
    Necrorun
    Steel Runner
    Crazy Control 2
    Blood Run

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #205 psj3809, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    I still think PDA Games is superb.

Tons of levels, controls work well, well worth picking up. Really nice single screen platformer

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Agreed. I found about PDA in this thread about 6 months ago and loved it since.

7. Bronxsta

Wanted to recommend Sling It. Actually it's the sequel to Pollushot, with leaderboards, stackable powerups, upgrades, and more enemy variety

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great shout. It's really good. Thanks. Castlevania-ish the way you can smash objects for health etc. this is a great example of a really good game salad game (sure it's game salad with the animations between levels)

9. Bronxsta

Space Bits - A SHMUP-RPG hybrid

This part from the TA review sold me:
    And the dev is working on an update that adds new weapons, enemies, upgrades, more levels, etc.

10. james.raymar

james.raymar Member

Aug 21, 2013
    there's lots of games that games are unrated but played by many users

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just went back to play Kale in Dinoland

A great homepage to old GameBoy games. Manage to finally get off the first main level as well (it is frustrating as there's no continues)

Hard but a nice little game

12. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Finally caved in and bought it after wagering that for those $ 2 I get much more content than from other ,similar priced games that partially interest me offer.
    If it was universal and had movable/ transparent control buttons it would be a perfect game in my book.
    Stretching out game in 2X mode for iPad doesn't do harm to game pixel graphic and even movement / A and B control buttons still stay more-less easily accessible.
    6 really huge areas to explore, lot of enemies to mount , big boss fights , excellent retro soundtrack , secret warp zones and minigames make this game most authentic gameboy retro platformer currently avaliable for iOS.
    If you played on monochrome gameboy and remember such game as Warioland and Kirby this is a must.

13. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
  14. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Saw this game on the 'new games' tap:

https://itunes.apple.com/ch/app/bullet-sky-ii/id667860402?mt=8

A great shmup under the hood, but done so bad in the overall presentation. All iaps are consumables, even the new ships you can unlock. Terrible decision. The screen, at least on iphone5, is just 3/4 big, followed by bad in-game music and a very cheap looking icon. I just opened it because of the name.

At some point it reminded me of Phoenix HD.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I wouldn't say this is a hidden gem if you haven't even played it. It's really a thread for games we like which have 'flown under the radar'

16. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    race.a.bit is my hidden gem as of recently. I'm suprised it never got more attention.

17. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Ninjin (http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=201719#).
    This little gem received no attention whatsoever at it's release.

Short description: great pixel graphics, great gameplay, intuitive controls, no IAPs (except one for unlocking the full game), lots of items to get, 3 game modes, has humor in it, lots of replay-ability.

18. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Shuttle Scuttle - 8 bit, NES like space shooter, 32 levels, 8 bosses, power ups, Game Center achivements, leaderboard

Radiant - vector like retro shooter with even more stages,bosses,,power ups than Shuttle Scuttle

Both games are $ 0.99

19. Bronxsta

+1 for Ninjin

The game is great. Awesome art style, tons of content, challenging but fun
    The devs really need the support; Ninjin deserves more attention