Sonic CD is coming to iOS (trailer)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Diablohead, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
  2. This is great news, as Sonic CD is considered by many to be one of the best Sonic games. I'm especially pleased that it will use the Japanese/European soundtrack as well.

For me, I'll probably be buying the XBLA version :)

3. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

#3 Spamcan, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    Sonic CD may be the second best Sonic game nobody ever had a chance to play. The game has some problems which is why I think SEGA has been hesitant to keep re-releasing it the way they have the Genesis titles. The original release was buggy as hell and load times when switching between time periods were rather long. Hopefully since this is the first major re-release of Sonic CD in 18 years the game will be cleaned up a bit but overall it's still significantly better then anything related to the franchise since the late-90's. Nit-picking aside I can't wait to play some Sonic CD again, it's been years. Hopefully Knuckles Chaotix isn't too far behind.

4. Mirai

Mirai Active Member

Sep 13, 2010
  5. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    I'm looking foward to everything but the price.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

God forbid Sega asks a reasonable price for such a fantastic game.

7. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    You say that, but I can see Sega pushing towards Square's FF Tactics level of pricing of like £10.99/$15.99.

Considering Sonic 4 launched for $9.99, this isn't too hard to imagine.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

A great port of Sonic CD that runs at 60FPS would be worth every penny of even a $19.99 price tag.

9. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I must admit to being perplexed at this bit of news. More traditional Sonic is a good thing I guess but why recreate a game that, though it had its moments, also suffered from some serious design flaws? The time traveling aspect never felt coherent or pertinent and turned a neat game into something awkwardly close to a "fetching quest". The level layout wasn't as tight as the genesis outing, perhaps explained by it being built by a different team at Sega.

I have a feeling they might be investing all this effort at refactoring, instead of innovation, because of the nostalgia effect which has more weight towards popular appeal and in the end it being the best return on their investment.

10. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

#10 Spamcan, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
    The game was also extremely buggy, the game ending bug that killed you and caused the game to freeze up during the Collision Chaos boss fight was particularly annoying. The zones were mostly well designed, I think Wacky Workbench and the weird glass egg things in Collision Chaos certainly stand out as some bad level design though. Despite all the problems it's still a good game and one most people have not had a chance to play. It's certainly not the best in the series but it's relative obscurity has propelled it into "legendary" status. It's like Firefly, a lot of people are convinced that show was great only because FOX managed to handle it so poorly. All that being said, it's about time SEGA pulled Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix out of the basement for the world to see. The genesis titles have been recycled enough.

Sonic 2 remains the pinnacle of the franchise to this day and I doubt that will ever change.

11. Pitch_Blak

Pitch_Blak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Canada
    I'm super wicked excited about this, though I have to say that I'll probably pick it up on XBLA instead (if only because of widescreen).

And I'm happy that the soundtrack will be the Japanese/European one. Toot Toot Sonic Warrior!

12. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I remember this game and Spamcan is right about the bug issues. I hope it's cleaned up before release, but with Sega, I don't know.

13. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    It's a brand new engine. Old bugs will hopefully not be duplicated (there's a limit to fidelity to original material) and new bugs will possibly have to be dealt with. This new "retro" engine is supposed to be pretty well built, so we'll see.

14. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    Great news, and it is using the Taxman engine as well! Not an emulated port. I will definitely pick this one up. I still have this game, along with my original Model 1 Sega Genesis and Model 2 Sega CD. It's definitely one of my favorites in the series.

15. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Dang I remember hearing about the possibility of this game a couple years ago right here on TA. Pretty cool that it is finally official. Definitely buying this.

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    That would be great if that's the case!

17. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    It looks like that could be the case to some degree. I found this bit of information from NeoGaf forums:

Sonic CD with Sonic 2/3 styled physics seems cool to me.

I wonder what music tracks they will be using for this version? The Japanese originals or the US tracks? My guess is that they will probably release Sonic CD with the US tracks for North America, and the rest of the world (who didn't get the US tracks) will probably have the Japanese tracks.

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  19. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    cant wait for this, this is my fav sonic game ever, might have to break out the megadrive and megacd and play it later

20. Jota_TA

Jota_TA Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011