A fairer way for devs to provide codes

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by bastband, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bastband

bastband Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    England
    I did think up a fairer system, PM for a code, the dev then can see if the person has a limited amount of posts and just looks like they are lurking.
    Unfortunately, that would mean the person who offers the codes would have to do a bit extra. But this way, you would at least get a thanks and maybe a good write up for the app!!

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I responded on the other thread with

I've noticed a few devs now require people to like them on Facebook or Tweet about their game or whatever and then send them a code, at the very least the likes to the page will help get some recognition so they have gained something even if the person doesn't write a review here.

Either way they do it, it will most likely be on a first come first served so you'll most likely still miss out cos of the time zone differences.

Also sometimes the devs give away 100 codes, replying to that many pms would be time consuming so I can understand why the just post them all on a thread. I guess each dev will do what they prefer, depending on the time they have.

3. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    And I responded there with this:

The flaw in your logic assumes that you "deserve" promo codes more than lurkers or people with "a limited amount of posts". In fact, no one is entitled to receive promo codes. They belong to the developers, and not to anyone else. It's up to the developers to decide whether to give them away, and how they wish to do so. They have many, many options available to them if they want reviews, want thanks, want Facebook likes, want Twitter promotion, and so on. Nothing is stopping them from giving them away in the manner of their choosing. Nothing! And that is the very definition of a fair system.

4. bastband

bastband Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    England
    Someone seems to have got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning..
    The pertinent word in my opening sentence is 'think'. Probably what a lot of people do not do when quoting other peoples, wait for it, 'thoughts'.
    There is no logic and deserving in my 'thought', it seems that the assumption was made. People who attack 'thoughts', perhaps do not 'think' or "deserve" to 'think' and stay in the past. Thinking and thought are a major part of progress.
    Anyway, these are just my 'thoughts', now feel free to interpret them as you wish.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Most devs who give out promo codes are hoping to stimulate downloads and get some reviews so mostly they don't mind so long as you use the code.