Universal Random Heroes - (by Ravenous Games) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iND, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Tonyzorz

Tonyzorz Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2011
    South Korea
    Updates? I'm glad to hear them :)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Glad to see the dev post. I'm a big fan of random heroes. Nice old school platformer. More levels the better though

3. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    #143 Eoghann, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    Hey Ravenous, I seem to have encountered a bug. I managed to grind long enough to get $3000 to purchase the Zombie, which I wanted for the large amounts of health:

[​IMG]

So I purchased it, and upon playing, I notice this:

[​IMG]

Suffice to say that was kind of a let down. :(

I also purchased the Police Officer and he has two bars in the Shop screen (one more than default Bandit character), and in game he has 4 health bars. So by that logic the Zombie should have 7 health bars?

Thanks!

4. I was really stoked when this game was announced. Loved the retro look. Then I found out that it was actually a port of a flash game. This game could have easily been available for free, no? Anyways, I guess the price of 99 cents is okay and I just might get it. It's good that the game can be sampled online before chipping in at least. :)

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I'd say it's worth a buck, yeah.

6. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Is the new "pack" planned as a purchase or a free update?

7. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    i could be mistaken, but i feel like with their other games, content updates have always been free.

for the price, i definitely enjoyed the game enough. but unlike LoE, it's far from something i'd recommend to friends.

8. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    definitely not a bad retro-platformer for a buck (i'm using the revolver upgrade only).

problem is, people expected something more "glorious" (and smoother) from the LOE creators.

hopefully planed updates will polish it up a bit... stays on my device

9. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    #149 Janni, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    sry, double-post

10. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I have been looking for the platformer to rule them all. LOE 1&2 came close and have been my personal favorite for a while now. I begged ravenous for longer levels and a few perks like some guns, power ups (in game like a power up shroom from back in day and not a store where you can purchase), and even requested a grappling hook (lol). Of course I wanted longer levels too.

I noticed this when it was an upcoming game and had grandiose expectations, but looks like I'll still be waiting on the promised LOE Editor...

The game has the controls down pat for sure. Plays slower than I'd like (actual movement and not length of level). I am really missing the double jump action that I love.

If the firepower of this game was added to LOE along with a level editor, then we would be getting closer to my holy grail of platformers. With an editor, can make levels as expanded as desired. Would love to see the double jump flip with bullets spraying.

Even better, I daydream of a double jump, bullets flying, grappling hook to swing into a wall jump and follow up with a pimp slap across a scientist face (or a gun to end the scientists tenure!!

Good job on branching into this style, but I can foresee better things to come.

Am willing to pledge 2k to have LOE updated with the elements described above :) no joke!

11. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I guess this game is more like a regular platformer, rather than a speedrun kind. I think the game is harder enemy wise, becAsue u have to fight them rather thAn just dodging everything. With that being said I feel like you can just upgrade to a point where the enemies won't be strong enough to make the game worth playing that with the short amount of levels..

They should've taken what they were trying to do for loe2 with the bosses and stuff and made A longer and harder game with characters not being so strong that the game becomes too easy.

I thought that the game would have been more fun if only the appearance of the character changed rather then skill. But more importantly atleast 8 worlds...the uprgardes costing more (weapons) with harder enemies to go along with more levels maybe then could justify the strength of the powered up characters.. But with only 3 worlds it just doesn't work.

Hope to see more levels in the future, harder difficulty, longer levels, harder boses, and more heroes. Also weapon specific to heroes that can use them. Like a Jedi knight with a lightsaber or something..

I'd wait right now till the game gets an update, but wence it's only a dollar whatever I guess .. You can get a small amount of enjoyment out of it I suppose.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree with the post above, i loved LOE1 and LOE2 but i wanted longer levels not 'bite sized' ones. On paper Random Heroes had that, i wanted a 'Contra/Gryzor' style game, a horizontal scroller using 'LOE' type graphics.

Its nearly there, i dont mind not having a double jump as to me Random Heroes is much more an old skool platformer or 'run n gun'.

But i'm still waiting for my ultimate horizontal run n gun on iOS. Not saying its easy but if companies just looked at Contra or Metal Slug, an update on something like that would be great.

Star Marine is the closest i've got which i love, but would love a platformer in the style of LOE but with long horizontal levels with checkpoints etc. Thats my dream iOS platformer

13. ravenousgames

ravenousgames Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    This was a last minute bug that slipped in before release, we have corrected it for the first update. Our apologies.

The next chapter will be offered for free!

14. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for another great game! I'm really enjoying this one.

15. grinal

grinal Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    All levels are challenging. Amazing concept of this game.

16. ravenousgames

ravenousgames Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Game Developer
    Canada
    Now would be a good time to let everyone know we are making good progress on the new chapter update for RH. We are taking you guys to the forest! We have added 5 new characters, 5 new weapons, a few new enemies and a new boss. The grenade launcher and bazooka are a lot of fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    hmmm... great to hear it.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Looking forward to the new content, i'm still enjoying this game and reminds me of old skool platformers (where lots of enemies went left/right or up/down in a set pattern).

Well worth the tiny sum

19. Daver16

Daver16 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Does this have iCade support or plans to add it soon?

20. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    Sweet! Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it!