HELP! HELP!! HELP!!! how to get review on my app/games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rajonbuzz, Apr 11, 2014.

1. rajonbuzz

rajonbuzz Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    hey guys,
    My game is released on 18th January 2014. But I've not get any review from any review site. I've applied more then 130 review sites. What should I do?

Please guys help me out, at least give me a solution.

Is there any marketing plan that I should take please let me inform. I'm really worry about my game.

[I can ensure that my game is one of the best game in App store]

HELP! HELP!! HELP!!!

2. Xaron

Xaron Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Simple answer: There is no way to push it without using money.

To be honest: I don't think (payed) review sites are worth it.

3. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for the reply, Can you suggest me where should I spend the money? I mean where the money can play a handy role?

4. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
  5. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. Is there any paid review system in Touch Arcade?? Or you are talking about the advertising?

6. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Well, if no one wants to review your game maybe it's about time to look at its quality?

7. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    #7 rajonbuzz, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. To be honest I think my game is such quality who deserves review. I have an average of 5 out of 31 [Watch out Eggy Free] and 4 of 13 review/ratings [Watch out Eggy] from app store. Believe me, among those 31 and 13 app store review/ratings none of them are of my friends. All reviews are from individual gamer. I also surprised when I see five reviews of Watch out Eggy has gone, and those are the 5 stars rating besides they all reviewed the paid version.

You can try the free version of my game.

Watch out Eggy Free

8. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    My experience is sites will review you on their own if they want to review you, otherwise they will try and charge you.

The bulk of the review sites won't make a big difference and those that would generally charge more than the benefit they offer. I don't actually know anyone who has paid for a review so it would be good to hear positive and negative experiences of people paying for it.

For me just a hobby and I am happy even now people download my games every day.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What game is it? Is there a review thread here?

10. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Feeling frustrated!

My game Watch out Eggy Free Has been released on the 18th January. I don't know why I am getting poor downloads. I have done all the marketing. Even I hired app marketing agency app shout. It applied over 150 review sites for me. Still I did not find any single review from any review sites. At the same time, I am watching low quality games are getting review. One might tell me that my game might not be so good to get review. But I am really proud to say that Watch out Eggy is one of the best games iTunes market has ever seen. It is really that good. I am not lying. The game play is unique and thrilling. Today the download of this game is just 2!

11. RaindropGames

RaindropGames Active Member

I just took a quick look without downloading and I think your larger issue may be the screenshots and/or icon. These play a much larger role than probably 95% (or more) of the review sites. I am not your target market and I'm not sure what would make eye catching screenshots and/or icon in your case but I didn't feel they got my attention in the right way. Sorry to be vague, but I bet you can find more experienced people in this area who can provide more detailed feedback.

I'm going to download the game now. I understand you are enthusiastic about your creation, but may want to be a bit more humble when describing it. If this quote were true "one of the best games iTunes market has ever seen" you would probably have a lot more downloads. Not trying to be harsh, but if we are blind to our own flaws we can't make them better. :)

12. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    I checked your game, is kinda chaotic TBH. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people did quit the game even before the first level, so maybe that's the problem.

- I launched it and I had to wait till the initial fading animation went off, it was really annoying.

- Then I wanted to play and there was a loading screen which is another terribly annoying thing, especially in a mobile game like this.

- The UI is pretty chaotic as well, there is no clear pattern what is clickable area.

- You showed me interstitial banner after the first launch, I didn't even have a chance to explore your game and you already want to send me away. In addition, it was some Chinese banner I couldn't even understand.

- If I press the Game Center button an iOS popup will show up telling me the Game Center is unavailable - coz I'm not logged in. After that I'm not able to press any other ingame button and I have to force close the app.

- IMO, the game is not polished enough to be priced at 1,79 €.

- Your App Store screenshots are a complete mess. The game itself is insanely colourful and you placed your logo, some game character, transparent background and text on top of that. As a new potential player, I honestly can't understand what the game is about, how does it work or what am I supposed to do.

- General captions as "Epic adventure", "Unique gaming concept" or "Illusion and puzzle" don't help me at all. Your potential player wants to know why he should download your game. Those captions won't convince anyone, there is no difference between your game and any other random puzzle on the App Store... Well, actually there is of course a difference and you may have a great game play - but you didn't express it on screenshots.

- The first sentence in your description is some warning about an incompatible device. That's really annoying. Put a catchy and fun copy text in there.

Hope it helps.

13. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Thank you for your valuable comment. I would try to improve my icon and screenshots when I update the game. Do you think my game is exciting and addictive? Did you play the paid version or the free version? Paid version has 101 levels. Do you think graphics is much important to the users than game play? Thank you again.

14. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Thank you for the reply. I am trying to explain everything.
    You did not like our comics. May be for the graphics or may be because you were forced to watch it. I will try to input better graphics in my next game. The comics is forced to watch for the first time only. After that if you tap then it would disappear. I wanted to let gamer knows what is his mission and what is the background story of the game.
    I understand the loading screen is annoying. It comes in the first level only. My aim was to let the gamer knows 'how to play' by that loading time. The objective of the game is shown at the loading time.
    You know its a free game. I have to earn money from the game. The Chinese banner is not a part of the game. Its just a ad. Nobody likes watching ad. I am sorry but I have nothing to do with it.
    I am really sorry about the game center bug. Our team is working to solve this problem. But this problem not occurs every time. It happens rarely.
    May be I should have polished the game more. The price might look high but the paid version has more than hundred levels with different obstacles. You may never feel bore.
    I will try to improve my game icon and screenshots too.
    To me the description is really true. But to others, these might be common dialog and sometimes fake. I would try to change the description and would try to make it more clear for the gamers.
    I did not want to put the caution in the first line of the description. But I did not want the ipod users feel cheat downloading the game. The game crashes sometimes in ipod touch.
    Your comment is really helpful. I appreciate it. Thank you very much.

By the way, do you think I am correct in saying its one of the best iPhone game? Have you played the full version with no ads and hundred plus levels? Do you think my game deserve a review?

I hope you would play Watch out Eggy. Thank you again for the help!

15. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    No problem man, I wish you luck with your game.

BTW, I ofc do know that banner is not a part of your game but it's not a best practice to show it after the very first launch. Also, you are usually able to set your targeting options to show more relevant banners based on location/language.

Once again, good luck with your game.

16. RaindropGames

RaindropGames Active Member

I found the core mechanics solid but not polished enough yet. I also agree with R3v's comments about the UI. I would not call it addictive but with more polish you may get there. I played the free version and also found the ads too aggressive though I understand you need to make money.

I would not say the graphics are more important than mechanics but having a catchy art style is very important for downloads (because of screenshots). I liked the art style of the opening comic (though many players will want to skip it so you should allow that) but the rest of the art felt like it's not quite ready yet. I'm not good at art feedback so I'm not sure how to explain my position on that.

I hope all of this helps. How many games have you released? I think you did a solid job with this game and will do better with more experience. :)

17. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I found (on iPad3) that often I did the swipe to move and it didn't move then I died which was frustrating. That made me get bored of the game quickly. I think it would be better to tap the square you want to move too.

I agree with comments on the intro although it was drawn well. It takes way too long to get playing.

Congrats on releasing your game, but saying this is one of the best games in the app store is clearly a ridiculous statement.

Overall the game has some potential but definitely needs some polish and be more fun to play.

18. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Thank you for the reply. I am sorry that I said it is one of the best games. As a developer I have to play many games and believe me, I played a lot of games regularly. To me, my game is far better than others. Obviously not better than cut the rope or plants vs zombies.
    My game play is 'tap to move to other grids and avoid laser and other obstacles'. There is no swipe. I have mentioned this rules when the game loading before the 1st level comes. Even the 1st tutorial shows it.
    I should polish my game. But the problem is that my graphics designers are not that good..... They tried their best but may be their best are not enough to the gamer.
    Watch out Eggy full version has 101 levels. I wish you played those and might think of the game as one of the best.
    Thank you again. You all are really helpful! I really appreciate this.

19. rajonbuzz

Jan 21, 2013
    Hello Raindrops! Thank you for the reply. I am thinking of reducing the ads. Although if you played Watch out Eggy full version than you would be happy. Free version of the game is not that addictive. Full version is lot of obstacles where you really need to think how I get to the goal! Anyway, you can watch the game play video of the game. The game play video doesn't have every levels too...but overall it tries to describe what is there in the game.
    I released some other games which are not that good even not that bad. Those are specially designed for kids. Those are Bubble Tapping, The Rocket Science. I can not guarantee you that you would love it. But you could try those too.
    Thank you again. Your comments really helped!

20. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    That explains why. Obviously I didn't pay that much attention and the arrow made me think it was swipe. Many people don't read tutorials and just play. I think by the time the tutorial came I just wanted to get to the game so I could give you feedback!

I am glad you realise there are varying degrees of quality and you aren't in that very top tier. It is indeed better than a lot of the games out there.

If you are going to reduce the ads, the one to remove is the one on startup. Let people play the game first!